Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    07 Nov '14 17:27
    Anyone who follows this forum is probably curious as to what has been going on recently, and where the "new" UI is?*

    Well, it is coming along, albeit rather slowly. But to at least show some progress, I'll try to get some screen grabs up at the end of next week to demonstrate some of the changes, although they will all be very provisional in nature.

    *I am trying not to stray too far from the current design to help manage the change.
  2. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    08 Nov '14 02:50
    Originally posted by Russ
    Anyone who follows this forum is probably curious as to what has been going on recently, and where the "new" UI is?*

    Well, it is coming along, albeit rather slowly. But to at least show some progress, I'll try to get some screen grabs up at the end of next week to demonstrate some of the changes, although they will all be very provisional in nature.

    *I am trying not to stray too far from the current design to help manage the change.
    Dude, people just got done bitching about the last UI change. You miss it? Is that why you're doing another?
  3. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    08 Nov '14 03:25
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Dude, people just got done bitching about the last UI change. You miss it? Is that why you're doing another?
    I think the last one was a Vista moment.
  4. 08 Nov '14 11:29
  5. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    10 Nov '14 16:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Dude, people just got done bitching about the last UI change. You miss it? Is that why you're doing another?
    I know, I know...and this is a serious problem.

    There will be fallout. A lot of older browsers (IE8, your time is up) will no longer be supported.

    But, the last update was a half-way step to better mobile/tablet support, and this will complete that process.

    The navigation will be near identical though, so everyone should be able to find their way around just fine.

    edit: Last update was 1.5 years ago…so it has been a while. And a beta will allow everyone with any interest in this process to feedback prior to release.
  6. Standard member moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    14 Nov '14 05:47
    Originally posted by Russ
    I know, I know...and this is a serious problem.

    There will be fallout. A lot of older browsers (IE8, your time is up) will no longer be supported.

    But, the last update was a half-way step to better mobile/tablet support, and this will complete that process.

    The navigation will be near identical though, so everyone should be able to find their way ar ...[text shortened]... And a beta will allow everyone with any interest in this process to feedback prior to release.
    I abate with weighted breath.

    [PS: IE? Wazzat? I'm a Macintosh man.]
  7. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    14 Nov '14 11:46 / 1 edit
    I might be just a bit tease on this...because during the final "tidy up", I keep making decisions that make dramatic visual differences, meaning any preview will be misleading, to say the least.

    Edit: Actually, I will upload some grabs. In about 20 minutes.
  8. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    14 Nov '14 12:13 / 1 edit
    These grabs are VERY provisional. Anything and everything could change prior to release, or even the beta. The key objective here is to complete the move to supporting all devices. The boards will scale to match your screen and the pages will arrange themselves to best suit your device.

    If successful, the mobile web app that some user's access the service with(mobile.redhotpawn.com) will cease to exist.

    Player Profile
    Game Board
    Same board, mobile device
    Sending a message
  9. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    14 Nov '14 12:16
    One further note, none of this will replace the native apps - so the updated Android app with proper tablet support is next still, before the much-talked-about-never-delivered native IOS app.
  10. Standard member moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    14 Nov '14 16:58
    On my browser, the left margin of the Player Profile was truncated. Maybe specific to Safari 4.1.3?
  11. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    14 Nov '14 17:03
    Originally posted by moonbus
    On my browser, the left margin of the Player Profile was truncated. Maybe specific to Safari 4.1.3?
    These are just screen grabs cropped out of a browser window - so no need for concern.
  12. 16 Nov '14 16:01
    Originally posted by moonbus
    On my browser, the left margin of the Player Profile was truncated. Maybe specific to Safari 4.1.3?
    Oh dear.
  13. 16 Nov '14 16:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    These are just screen grabs cropped out of a browser window - so no need for concern.
    I agree with BGP, it's going to be a PR meltdown. All the OCDs, ISTJs, Hernann Blue Brains and general naysayers are going to flip...

    i can't find my games!

    Where's the login page gone?

    Why is there a woman with massive breasts where the adverts used to be?

    None of this happens at gameturd.com

    Why can't I login with my commodor64 anymore?

    I want my money back - no wait, I'm not a subscriber...

    My opponent is now on holiday since the upgrade and won't move!

    Why was there no warning this was going to happen?


    And so on and so forth.
  14. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    17 Nov '14 00:30
    Originally posted by Russ
    These grabs are VERY provisional. Anything and everything could change prior to release, or even the beta. The key objective here is to complete the move to supporting all devices. The boards will scale to match your screen and the pages will arrange themselves to best suit your device.

    If successful, the mobile web app that some user's access the service ...[text shortened]... board, mobile device[/]
    [=http://www.redhotpawn.com/grabs/game-message.jpg]Sending a message[/]
    Not bad at all. I think it's enough like the old screens to not cause too many headaches on the switchover. Of course you'll always get the ones divegeester described, but not much room to complain on these screens, anyway. The auto-scaling and auto-arrange features will probably help with that, too.
  15. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    17 Nov '14 10:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I agree with BGP, it's going to be a PR meltdown. All the OCDs, ISTJs, Hernann Blue Brains and general naysayers are going to flip...

    i can't find my games!

    Where's the login page gone?

    Why is there a woman with massive breasts where the adverts used to be?

    None of this happens at gameturd.com

    Why can't I login with my commodor64 anymo ...[text shortened]... on't move!

    Why was there no warning this was going to happen?


    And so on and so forth.
    I will prepare a response to each of these prior to release, then I can flip the switch content that I am ready for the "fire fighting" that always ensues.

    The abandonment of IE8 and some old phone browsers will cause the most problems, I'm sure.