1. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 11:43
    I play a lot of 3 day per move 7 day timebank games.

I had to be out of the country for two weeks for work so I set up a vacation, at that point I had 6 or 7 days timebank left on most of my games.

Now I have zero days timebank remaining, I have to move once every three days otherwise I will lose all my games, so as soon as I have a long weekend and forget to book vacation - zap! I almost feel like resigning them all to get it over with. How is this good? why should I have to book vacation AND lose all my carefully hoarded timebanks?
  2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 13:28
    Can you try a longer timebank(s)?
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 14:34
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Can you try a longer timebank(s)?
    That's a bit hard to do with existing games. Perhaps we could ask for some kind of "adjourn by agreement" function for each game, if it's too difficult to make a vacation which doesn't run down time banks.
  4. Here
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 14:45
    Originally posted by iamatiger

I had to be out of the country for two weeks for work so I set up a vacation, at that point I had 6 or 7 days timebank left on most of my games.

Now I have zero days timebank remaining, I have to move once every three days otherwise I will lose all my games, so as soon as I have a long weekend and ...[text shortened]... ow is this good? why should I have to book vacation AND lose all my carefully hoarded timebanks?
    You only have 10 games on the go, you should be able to manage that quite comfortably
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 21:37

Now I have zero days timebank remaining, I have to move once every three days otherwise I will lose all my games, so as soon as I have a long weekend and ...[text shortened]... ow is this good? why should I have to book vacation AND lose all my carefully hoarded timebanks?
    People were concerned with hate-waiters draining both their vacation time AND their timebank to spite someone.

This becomes a serious problem when a tourney is held up. However, I think the better fix is to set up tournaments with no timebanks, or more modest timebanks. And perhaps for fast time controls, no vacation immunity either.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '13 06:38

You have a timebank in case you can't move within a certain time, the time back starts to say hurry up. When you lose your timebank you have your vacation time to save you... if you can't control your timing you only have yourself to blame.
  7. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    28 Jun '13 14:35
    Thanks for the suggestion. I can't play longer timebanks - if I only played games with 14 day timebanks they would still be all used up, and my clan would not be able to enter me into many games.

It is not a question of managing only 10 games, I sometimes have other things to do, fairly unexpectedly and cannot move for a few days however many games I have.

Using vacation instead of timebanks is tricky as I often can't move for a few days. For instance say I go away for a long weekend? I now have to find a computer to keep up with my games when I would quite happily sacrifice a few hours timebank and move on Monday night when I am back. Alternatively I can wait until I get back and hope that I will be able to move within 36 hours which makes all my games vulerable to traffic on the way home on Monday. If I start booking vacation for this kind of thing all my vacation will be gone by the end of summer, and I have another work trip coming up this year.

It does seem a case of made worse for many because of a few time wasters. for people who just want to play chess.

Wouldn't this work:
    a) When vacation is booked and the game clock runs out timebanks only begin to be decremented once the vacation has ended.
    b) It should be possible to set up games/tournaments with limits on the amount of vacation time allowed in the game before timebanks begin to decrement - these limits can specify zero vacation.

b) Means that the vacation games players have had in a game/tournament needs to be kept track of, tricky but not impossible

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree