1. Joined
    13 Oct '09
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 18:401 edit
    My friend and I where thinking of a "undo" option only for unrated games.

It works like that:

- you started an *unrated* game with your opponent
    - you make a move
    - you realize you made a stupid move...
    - you open the game and you realize your opponent didn't make a move yet!
    - you click on "PROPOSE UNDO"
    - the undo-move is not effective until your opponent accepts the undo by clicking "ACCEPT UNDO"
    - your last move is canceled!

The undo cannot be proposed if the opponent has already made his move.
    Yet again, this should be made possible only for *unrated* games. A maximum number of undo-proposal tickets might be set, like 3: you cannot propose undo more than 3 times, or whatever the opponents decide when they create a new game.

That's it. Hope I'm not starting a flame here... Just an idea...

and NO, you cannot undo forum threads 😛

f
  2. Joined
    21 Sep '12
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 18:42
    ah how i wish you guys implement this undo feature.
    May be even in rated games 😛
  3. Joined
    13 Oct '09
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 18:45
    mmmh... rated games? maybe not... Rules in rated games should be as close as possible to the official ones.

Maybe one could choose to have the "undo" option when the game is started, in a similar way to how you choose the time bank thing.
  4. Joined
    12 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 19:07
    Well..even if it's very hard for me, I agree with Fabio about the undo function in rated games is not going to work and it's about one of the main rules of Chess..

about unrated games..I never play unrated games!!!!!:-D
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 19:241 edit
    Takebacks are evil. Never ask for them. Never accept them.

Edit: and if you really must have one, just resign the game and start a new set piece game with the move taken back. No need to trouble the programmer over this.
  6. Joined
    13 Oct '09
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 21:41
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    and if you really must have one, just resign the game and start a new set piece game with the move taken back. No need to trouble the programmer over this.
    I very much like this idea! In fact I know this possibility (to start a game from a certain position) but it is just too complicated to do what you say. It's true that, in unrated games, to resign and start a new game has no consequences, but it would much better to have a button like, say, "Start a new game from this position". As far as I know, the only way to do what you say is to save the PGN of the game and manually put the pieces in their positions in the new set piece game... Do you know any faster method?

Anyway, thanks very much for your suggestion

f
  7. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 23:23
    Not applicable in all positions \ circumstances granted, but if you're playing unrated then it's fair to assume it's a 'friendly' game..so, just ask your opponent to make a repeat move in order for you to go back to your original pre error position...that's assuming you're both intent upon playing on from that 'original' position, instead of just keeping things simple and starting a new game...
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 00:07
    This site runs, and should run, on normal (official) chess rules. In an OTB public game take-back is an illegal move, so it shouldn't be allowed here. Other sites intended for informal relaxing may offer take-back (I know there's at least one) but it really shouldn't be available. The concept of "start another game from the previous position" is feasible but there are many other programming ideas needing to be implemented first.
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 00:42
    Originally posted by fabios
    My friend and I where thinking of a "undo" option only for unrated games.

It works like that:

- you started an *unrated* game with your opponent
    - you make a move
    - you realize you made a stupid move...
    - you open the game and you realize your opponent didn't make a move yet!
    - you click on "PROPOSE UNDO"
    - the undo-move is not effective until your ...[text shortened]... arting a flame here... Just an idea...

and NO, you cannot undo forum threads 😛

f
    "A man that will take back a move at chess will pick a pocket." – Richard Fenton
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 05:03
    Originally posted by fabios
    I very much like this idea! In fact I know this possibility (to start a game from a certain position) but it is just too complicated to do what you say. It's true that, in unrated games, to resign and start a new game has no consequences, but it would much better to have a button like, say, "Start a new game from this position". As far as I know, the only way ...[text shortened]... e game... Do you know any faster method?

Anyway, thanks very much for your suggestion

f
    In the game, click "search games between players", find the game in question [it's usually one of the ones at the top], click on "in progress", arrow back to the desired position, click 'start game from position'.
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 06:141 edit
    If you're looking at the active game screen, click on the header "Game History" to go directly to the page where you can do this arrow-back / start from position exercise. Problem solved and no programming required. Thanks SG, I knew I'd seen it somewhere ... 🙂
  12. Joined
    13 Oct '09
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 17:41
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    In the game, click "search games between players", find the game in question [it's usually one of the ones at the top], click on "in progress", arrow back to the desired position, click 'start game from position'.
    just a word:

WOW

but I still thinks...

just kidding 😀

thanks a lot
    F

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree