1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 11:39
    It's 1840 in the U.S. and there is a slave who kills a man who claims to own the slave [along with the slave's wife and his children] as chattel.

The slave, having liberated himself, then takes flight along with his family.

The killing may have been against the laws in force in 1840. But was it morally unsound?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 13:362 edits
    @fmf said
    It's 1840 in the U.S. and there is a slave who kills a man who claims to own the slave [along with the slave's wife and his children] as chattel.

The killing may have been against the laws in force in 1840. But was it morally unsound?

I remember some of my college classmates having these moral / ethical discussions long ago. Some of the conclusions they came up with were:

* Not in any implied scheme of perception.

* I would argue his ethics, but admire his morals

* It was a means to an end.

...and the list goes on. The fact is, there is no, one final answer here.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 13:43
    @mchill
    How would you answer the question?
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 19:54
    @fmf said

Probably not.

But, if the slave could have gotten free and kept his family safe thereafter without killing the owner, then maybe.

Of course, the 'keep family safe' bit is a judgment call. Difficult to say what is 'reasonable' on that score.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 20:32
    @fmf said
    1) Murder is still against the laws of 2022, so the year is legally irrelevant. It is also morally irrelevant.
    2) Wether or not he “takes flight” is mortally irrelevant.
    3) Morality is difficult to measure via legal frameworks.
    4) The slave owner could have been a (relatively) benevolent person who provided good living and labour for a fair return of work, social free time and expression of self.

Too many unknowns for me to make a judgment.
    However if we are interested in relating it back to Christianity, then scripture talks about slaves not seeking to be free…I think.
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 11:461 edit
    @fmf said

Did he kill the owner in the process of escape or was it an act of revenge before fleeing the scene.
    I mean did he have to kill the slave owner in order to free himself and his family?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 12:45
    @kevcvs57 said
    Did he kill the owner in the process of escape or was it an act of revenge before fleeing the scene.
    I mean did he have to kill the slave owner in order to free himself and his family?
    Good questions

- Did he kill the owner in the process of escape

Answer: while acting like a free man, i.e. while walking down the driveway to leave, and the ownner pulled out a bull whip and was carrying a sidearm.

- or was it an act of revenge before fleeing the scene.

No, I didn't have this in mind.

- I mean did he have to kill the slave owner in order to free himself and his family?

Yes
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 13:14
    @fmf said
    Good questions

- Did he kill the owner in the process of escape

Answer: while acting like a free man, i.e. while walking down the driveway to leave, and the ownner pulled out a bull whip and was carrying a sidearm.

- or was it an act of revenge before fleeing the scene.

No, I didn't have this in mind.

- I mean did he have to kill the slave owner in order to free himself and his family?

Yes
    Well then in so far as I consider self defence a moral as well as legal defence I’d say he was well within moral bounds to kill this threat to him and his family.
    He could surely make the same moral case as someone trying to escape a sociopath who had kidnapped him and his family and held them against their will for who knows what purpose.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree