1. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:051 edit
    Thoughts? Comments?[/b]
    There is a huge difference here. God told them NOT to partake of the tree of fruit of knowledge of good and evil, and yet they did.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:09
    Originally posted by Alpha10
    There is a huge difference here. God told them NOT to partake of the tree of fruit of knowledge of good and evil, and yet they did. Adam and Eve presumably were adults, and adults do not have "childlike innocence".
    I thought Adam and Eve did? The Apple gave the 'knowledge' and before that they were innocent...

RX
  3. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:111 edit
    ANd you're also leaving out that God did not tempt Adam and Eve, Stan did.

Edit: Stan is Satan's baby momma's 1st cousin on his dads side.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:11
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Or that it was told to an adult who was told they die, which is what
    we each see when we come across a sign that says poison do not
    eat. Which is different that saying, do this I’ll kill you.
    Kelly
    How so? After all it is an Almighty God talking to the only two humans who ever existed supposedly. Taking it in context, it seems pretty clear that God is telling A and E in Genesis that he'll kill them since he is the one who created them and the only one with such a power (they can't even do it themselves).

Alpha10: A and E were not truly adults as they didn't know the difference between Right and Wrong. In law, an adult who cannot not the difference between right and wrong cannot be punished for his acts. I would say an adult without a sense of right and wrong is roughly akin to a three year old (perhaps even a younger child).
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:12
    "Stan" is the older brother is the Modern Parable.
  6. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    How so? After all it is an Almighty God talking to the only two humans who ever existed supposedly. Taking it in context, it seems pretty clear that God is telling A and E in Genesis that he'll kill them since he is the one who created them and the only one with such a power (they can't even do it themselves).

Alpha10: A and E were ...[text shortened]... t a sense of right and wrong is roughly akin to a three year old (perhaps even a younger child).
    In todays law, maybe. But did todays law exist back then? Young children were punished the same as adults in that time, were they not? Well, not in Adam and Eve's time, but ancient times.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:131 edit
    No,

Mom was God
    Big Bro was 'Stan'.

RX

Bit too late there.....

8. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:14
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    No,

Mom was God
    Big Bro was 'Stan'.

RX

Bit too late there.....

Who would you obey Phlabby? Your mom or older brother?
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:182 edits
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Decent definition of a strawman, I suppose, but what I think Phla was asking is WHY you think No1's argument is a strawman. What exactly is different in No1's story vs the Genesis story that causes you concern? I can point out a coup ...[text shortened]... like to hear your own ideas, if you are so inclined.

TheSkipper
    Those nice tasty cookies meant for a party should be replaced by poison that would REALLY kill the children.

Now please, read the Strawman again.

EDIT: The strawman has now become less of a strawman, but it still is a manipulating and lying strawman.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:20
    In todays law, maybe. But did todays law exist back then? Young children were punished the same as adults in that time, were they not? Well, not in Adam and Eve's time, but ancient times.
    I doubt if children were punished the same as adults in ancient times, but that's somewhat besides the point. The point is we don't punish them because we recognize that someone who doesn't know the difference between right and wrong cannot comport their behavior to standards of right and wrong they don't understand. Therefore, the punishment of Adam and Eve is unjust.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:22
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Those nice tasty cookies meant for a party should be replaced by poison that would REALLY kill the children.

Now please, read the Strawman again.
    No, because eating of the tree didn't kill Adam and Eve so your analogy would be a poor one, while the Modern Parable is an apt one.
  12. Gangster Land
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:231 edit
    Came across this and thought it was pretty interesting:

A woman bakes a batch of cookies for a party. She warns her twins, aged 3, to not eat any. She explained to them, deceitfully, that If they did, then she would kill t ...[text shortened]... gioustolerance.org/sin_gene1.htm

Thoughts? Comments?
    While I believe No1's parable to be interesting and very clever I have one problem with it which I will atempt to outline here.

Say God were to put the fruit 'out of reach' as the mother should have with the cookies. Where then is the free will we are supposed to have? How can we CHOOSE to be naughty if we are logistically FORBIDDEN to be naughty?

I agree, in general, that the tree was a pretty lame thing for God to do to Adam and Eve but I'm not sure what else could have been done if we were to have free will. It seems to me that in order to have free will we must also be given the ability to do something God would prefer we not do. yes?

TheSkipper
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:24
    I don't think a parable or analogy CAN be a strawman fallacy. A strawman fallacy is replacing someone's argument with a distorted or exaggerated one i.e. (2 examples):

Bill and Jill are arguing about cleaning out their closets:
    Jill: "We should clean out the closets. They are getting a bit messy."
    Bill: "Why, we just went ...[text shortened]... Jesus yelling, "Strawman!" every time he made an "argument by analogy" i.e. told a parable.
    No1: "EDIT: I wonder if Ivanhoe would have been running around behind Jesus yelling, "Strawman!" every time he made an "argument by analogy" i.e. told a parable.[/b]

Name one, genius.
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:26
    No, because eating of the tree didn't kill Adam and Eve so your analogy would be a poor one, while the Modern Parable is an apt one.

Oh brother, you are REALLY stupid.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 18:26
    Who would you obey Phlabby? Your mom or older brother?
    Neither... I'd tell them both to go to Hell.

RX

(just kidding)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree