1. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 05:09
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    That's exactly right. My issue isn't about the sexual abuse per se. It's about the Catholic hierarchy of power and the Catholic system of beliefs and practices that foster and enable the abuse.
    Name those beliefs and practices. Earlier in the thread you also claimed that the abuse was the "direct result" of the nature of the Catholic hierarchy coupled with certain dogmatic beliefs. Prove your case.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 05:14
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Name those beliefs and practices. Earlier in the thread you also claimed that the abuse was the "direct result" of the nature of the Catholic hierarchy coupled with certain dogmatic beliefs. Prove your case.
    Watch the movie and then see if you can still be so smug about the issue.
  3. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 05:251 edit
    Watch the movie and then see if you can still be so smug about the issue.
    Can you prove your case, or can't you?

EDIT: I'm not smug about the issue; and I don't need to see the movie to shake me out of it.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 06:511 edit
    In the church I went to when I was young (Anglican) there was a voluntary priest who was guilty of various 'sins' including I think theft. It was very difficult for the church to deal with and I think he was eventually transferred. I think that later on however he was removed from the priesthood. There were other similar cases later on with other priests. The problem is that the priesthood is more than just a career and you cant just fire a priest. Its like when someone in your family commits a crime you don't just fire them they are still related to you whether you like it or not.
    I think the problem with child abuse may be that the other priests/bishops etc do not want it public so refrain from letting it go to court etc. But it is quite likely that when child abuse occurs in families that the same thing happens, the relatives try to cover it up. I am just guessing here as I have not knowingly personally met anyone on either side of a child abuse case.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 07:00
    Originally posted by lucifershammer

I'm not smug about the issue
    Prove it
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 07:201 edit
    If you would watch the film, you would come to learn how ignorant your question is, as it demonstrates how the rampant sexual abuse at the hands of clergy is a direct result of the nature of the Catholic power hierarchy itself coupled with some dogmatic beliefs of both those in power and their followers.
    I certainly agree that this is an issue that should be maturely discussed between Catholics.

However, what "dogmatic beliefs" are you claiming contribute to the rampant sexual abuse scandal?
  7. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 07:46
    Prove it
    This the best diversionary tactic you could come up with?

It's absurd to ask for intersubjective verification for a particular internal experience which, by its nature, is not verifiable in that manner.

Now, back to your original claim(s): can you prove them or can't you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree