1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 17:41
    Week 23

God’s Divine Care

In spite of all the trials, testing and suffering we may face, God still watches over us and meets our every need.

1. Circle key words and phrases in the following Scriptures.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
    ISAIAH 43:2

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
    ISAIAH 41:10

A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all.
    PSALM 34:19

Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.
    PSALM 55:22

* Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
    1 PETER 5:7

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
    MATTHEW 11:28–29

2. What do we learn about God’s care in (answer briefly):

Isaiah 43:2
    Psalm 55:22
    Isaiah 41:10
    1 Peter 5:7
    Psalm 34:19
    Matthew 11:28–29

3. Do a verse study using the form on the next page.

4. Memorize 1 Peter 5:7.

Verse Study Form

Using the suggested memory verse marked with an asterisk from the
    opposite page, complete this verse study form.

1. Verse reference ____________________________________________

2. List two key words and define them.
    Key Word ________________________________________________
    Definition ________________________________________________

3. What does the verse say?
    (Paraphrase—Rewrite the verse in your own words.)

4. How can you apply the truth of this verse to your life today?

Closing (Prayer time and assignment for next week)

Next Weeks Bible Study is on Love
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 18:00
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
    ISAIAH 43:2 [/b]
    How strong is your faith in this verse? Would you really pitch yourself off of an ocean liner?

Does this verse encourage you as a firefighter? Would you ever throw off your firefighting gear and go into a blazing building in a T-Shirt, having faith in this verse? Isn't wearing your gear a rejection of this verse?
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 18:05
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    How strong is your faith in this verse? Would you really pitch yourself off of an ocean liner?

Does this verse encourage you as a firefighter? Would you ever throw off your firefighting gear and go into a blazing building in a T-Shirt, having faith in this verse? Isn't wearing your gear a rejection of this verse?
    The Word of God says not to teat the Lord your God.

I heard once of to Missionary Pastors who were healed from snake bite poison. So what did they do again, they tried to test God again so they had the snakes bite them and what do you think happened?
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 18:08

I heard once of to Missionary Pastors who were healed from snake bite poison. So what did they do again, they tried to test God again so they had the snakes bite them and what do you think happened?
    I bet they died from the poisonous venom.

If you are not to test God, then what good does it do to have faith in his assurances if you cannot act on those assurances? If he assures you that he'll protect you from fire, what is that worth, if he also says that he'll withdraw that protection if you try to avail yourself of it?
  5. London
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 18:29
    I bet they died from the poisonous venom.

If you are not to test God, then what good does it do to have faith in his assurances if you cannot act on those assurances? If he assures you that he'll protect you from fire, what is that worth, if he also says that he'll withdraw that protection if you try to avail yourself of it?
    Who says you cannot act on those assurances? Is testing whether the assurances work the only way to act on them?
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 18:40
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Who says you cannot act on those assurances? Is testing whether the assurances work the only way to act on them?
    Testing the assurances and acting on them are logically equivalent.

Acting implies testing, for after the action, one can't help but observe whether what was assured did in fact take place. After walking through fire, one observes whether one was burned or whether God's protection was realized. To act is to test.

Testing implies acting, for to test is to observe, but without first bringing about the conditions that invoke the assured protections, one may not observe whether they are realized; that is, one must act in order to test. Equivalently, to test is to act.

Thus, if RBHILL says not to test God's assurances, he is equivalently saying not to act upon them.

Can you provide a counterexample in which one acts on God's assurances without testing them, or tests God's assurances without acting on them?
  7. London
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 19:14

Acting implies testing, for after the action, one can't help but observe whether what was assured did in fact take place. After walking through fire, one observes whether one was burned or whether God's protection was realized. To act is to test.

Testing implies acting, f ...[text shortened]... ts on God's assurances without testing them, or tests God's assurances without acting on them?
    Let's draw a distinction between undertaking an action solely to test a hypothesis (A) vs. a hypothesis being tested as part of a sequence of actions where the objective is not testing the hypothesis (B).

Say, the government assures you that you have the right to a trial by a jury of your peers if you are accused of a crime. (A) would be to test the hypothesis by, say, killing your neighbour. You just want to see if the government will stand by its assurance.

Now, say your neighbour is killed and you are accused of the crime. You call upon the assurance of the government in the process of proving your innocence. This is an example of (B).

The kind of testing RBHill says one should not do is Type A. The assurance comes into play in Type B testing. The difference is the intent/objective.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 20:272 edits
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Let's draw a distinction between undertaking an action solely to test a hypothesis (A) vs. a hypothesis being tested as part of a sequence of actions where the objective is not testing the hypothesis (B).

Say, the government assu ...[text shortened]... to play in Type B testing. The difference is the intent/objective.
    Very well.

Suppose it's a very hot day when RBHILL has to go firefight. He would prefer to not have to wear all the heavy gear. He is aware of the verse from Isiah, and trusts that God will keep him safe from fire. He intent is not to test God -- he already has faith in the verse. His intent is to be comfortable at work.

This is type (B) as you describe it -- trusting, not questioning or doubting, God's assurances as you live your life. If RBHILL would be scared to go firefighting in a T-shirt, that would be doubting God's assurance.

My question to RBHILL was in the (B) sense. He is the one who equated the (B) sense with the (A) sense. It was only under his stated equivalence that I deduced that God's assurances are worthless.

I'm willing to try again. RBHILL, in the (B) sense, would you go into a firefight without proper equipment, trusting that God will protect you as the verse claims? Or do you reject the verse?
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 22:192 edits

Acting implies testing, for after the action, one can't help but observe whether what was assured did in fact take place. After walking through fire, one obser ...[text shortened]... t testing them, or tests God's assurances without acting on them?
    How you can act on your faith is to read the Bible every day and pray and be a person who does the Word, and if there is less sinning in your life you are probably on the right track in your walk with the Lord.

10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 22:20
    How you can act on your faith is to read the Bible every day and pray and be a person who does the Word, and if there is less sinning in your life you are probably on the right track in your walk with the Lord.
    Do you wear standard fireman's equipment?
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 22:241 edit
    Do you wear standard fireman's equipment?
    I will always go into a fire with my equipment, if I die then I casn trust that the Lord had a perpose in it, just as if I get an STD from a blood transfution. That might bring my family closer together who knows if that would be the Lords plan.

===
    Yes I do, we are not like the City of Chicago.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 22:291 edit
    I will always go into a fire with my equipment
    So, you don't trust the verse from Isaiah?

Don't you believe that if it is God's will, he can protect you from the fire even if you don't wear your equipment?
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 22:35

RB, there was a minister that was bitten by a snake on Easter Sunday a year ago and he died. His congregation seemed to think that he did the right thing in refusing medical treatment. The thing that upset me was that at his funeral they put the snake in his casket and closed it up. I don't think the snake deserved this.

Also, can you comment on the passage in the 16th chapter of Mark on handling snakes and drinking poison? thank you.
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 22:37
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    The thing that upset me was that at his funeral they put the snake in his casket and closed it up.
    LMAO! Great story.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree