1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    04 Jul '12 17:28
    OK so there's this little bit over on the Obama mocking Bible thread, about the possibility of a challenging debate topic. No new challenging debate topic is mentioned there (so far).

    There are of course, golden oldies -- evolution, evil, science, the evils of science, the evils of religion, the evils of evil, theological differences between JWs and non-JW theists, and others.

    I suggest a look at:

    http://idebate.org/debatabase/themes/moral-%2526-religious

    ...to see if there are any new topics or to see if the points made trigger any new thoughts on old ideas.

    It is a link from:

    http://idebate.org/
  2. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    04 Jul '12 22:05
    Originally posted by JS357
    OK so there's this little bit over on the Obama mocking Bible thread, about the possibility of a challenging debate topic. No new challenging debate topic is mentioned there (so far).

    There are of course, golden oldies -- evolution, evil, science, the evils of science, the evils of religion, the evils of evil, theological differences between JWs and non-JW ...[text shortened]... points made trigger any new thoughts on old ideas.

    It is a link from:

    http://idebate.org/
    No. Nothing new there. It's the same debate as from the beginning, only the players have changed.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    05 Jul '12 00:52
    Originally posted by josephw
    No. Nothing new there. It's the same debate as from the beginning, only the players have changed.
    To you of all people I need not say:

    Ecclesiastes 1:9 (New International Version)

    What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.
  4. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    05 Jul '12 01:29
    Originally posted by JS357
    To you of all people I need not say:

    Ecclesiastes 1:9 (New International Version)

    What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.
    Since nothing is new, then the debate is moot.

    We choose of our own free will what path we walk down.
  5. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    05 Jul '12 02:07
    JS357, I'd say you've struck out with josephw.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    05 Jul '12 05:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    JS357, I'd say you've struck out with josephw.
    OK by me. Its just Ecclesiastes 1:9.
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    06 Jul '12 22:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    JS357, I'd say you've struck out with josephw.
    Everyone's a hit with me John.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35525
    06 Jul '12 22:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    JS357, I'd say you've struck out with josephw.
    Why? It looks to me like they agree.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    07 Jul '12 00:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Why? It looks to me like they agree.
    Shhh... nobody is supposed to notice when that happens. 😉
  10. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    07 Jul '12 00:51
    Originally posted by JS357
    Shhh... nobody is supposed to notice when that happens. 😉
    OK, looks like I got the wrong end of the stick. I interpreted JS357's recent comments [here and elsewhere] as a wish for challenging debate topics, and I interpreted josephw's comment to mean more or less 'what's the point?'
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91623
    07 Jul '12 03:18
    Challenging debate topic : "Spirit: what it means if anything , etc..."
  12. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    08 Jul '12 00:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK, looks like I got the wrong end of the stick. I interpreted JS357's recent comments [here and elsewhere] as a wish for challenging debate topics, and I interpreted josephw's comment to mean more or less 'what's the point?'
    That's cool. I assumed as much anyway. You have a very acute way of thinking. I admire that, but, in my opinion, you're just slightly off the mark. 😉
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    08 Jul '12 05:00
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Challenging debate topic : "Spirit: what it means if anything , etc..."
    That could be challenging but it's hard to tell if no interest is triggered. Maybe it's TOO challenging?
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    08 Jul '12 05:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK, looks like I got the wrong end of the stick. I interpreted JS357's recent comments [here and elsewhere] as a wish for challenging debate topics, and I interpreted josephw's comment to mean more or less 'what's the point?'
    I suppose I've expressed that wish in part by submitting OPs that raise subjects other than the big 5 or big 10 or whatever number there are that dominate this forum. This is also for me a way to test the waters for the existence of any lurkers (a common non-judgmental way to describe non-participatory forum readers) who might just be waiting for a thread to come along that they care to respond to. But I am coming to think that josephw's "what's the point?" is quite apt.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91623
    08 Jul '12 22:181 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    That could be challenging but it's hard to tell if no interest is triggered. Maybe it's TOO challenging?
    I've never heard of a good discussion on that one here.
    I have heard some stuff about the "holy spirit", but that's different.
Back to Top