1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 11:02
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    These doctrines were spelt out by Christ. I dont think it is wise to water it down.

There are 2 kinds of people in the world.
    Those serious about eternal life.
    Those whose religion is just a side show in their lives.

The serious ones will erase their minds of the doctrines of men, and those taught in churches today and start reading the doctrine of C ...[text shortened]... Then read the doctrines taught by the Apostles.

Everyone can read and spell for themselves.
    Seriously?
    You say there are only two types of people in the entire world and those are your only options?

Encompassing the huge range of beliefs, attitudes, and varying religious positions is vastly more
    complex than you make out.

Almost all religions include the idea of an afterlife, and I would think that many if not most believers
    in those religions are 'serious' about their particular version of eternal life.
    And then there are those who believe that science will one day allow us to achieve biological or
    technological immortality and they tend to be very serious about eternal life (and are almost exclusively
    atheists for obvious reasons).
    Then there are those (like me) for whom religion is not a side show in our lives, it isn't ANY part of our lives.
    And no, discussing issues on a chess site forum doesn't make religion part of my life, in the same way that
    discussing the lord of the rings doesn't make magic or 'questing' part of my life.

Theists of all/most stripes have a tendency to put on blinkers and forget about all the other religions and
    beliefs that exist other than there own or none.

Not everyone (by far) is a Christian.
    Those who are not Christians, or in my case theists at all, do not look at our lives through the lens of the bible
    or Christian beliefs.

The people who flew the planes into the twin towers were serious about their 'eternal life'...
    But I am sure that they were not who you had in mind when you said that there are only two types of people in
    the world...
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 14:46
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You probably don't know nothing about the founding of the JWs.

In 1872, a pastor named Charles Taze Russell (1852-1916), organized a
    Bible Study Group in Allegheny, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. USA. Less than 10
    years later, this study group became the Zion's Watch Tower Tract Society.
    Pastor Russell became its founding president. Later, they adopted the ...[text shortened]... ion as
    containing four consonants." (source: Encyclopedia Britannica 1953, Vol. 12).
    So if you believe the Holy Spirit is among us within the confines of who you think the Holy Spirit is which is God himself according to you, why do we not see him as we did Jesus who you also think is God? Where is he now? Which country is he in? Please let me know as I'd love to see what he looks like..........

Answer my question??????????????????
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 04:30
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So if you believe the Holy Spirit is among us within the confines of who you think the Holy Spirit is which is God himself according to you, why do we not see him as we did Jesus who you also think is God? Where is he now? Which country is he in? Please let me know as I'd love to see what he looks like..........

Read the Holy Bible. HalleluYah !!!
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 04:47
    Originally posted by JS357
    Recently, RJ responded to a question I asked by posting a link to a Christian website that addressed the question. I have no objection to this, but it raised a question in my mind.

How does a Christian identify and "validate" the sources of guidance they will rely in WRT their faith? Based on my own experience it was a sort of packaged gift from the RCC. Th ...[text shortened]... cially relevant. Do you have sites and sources that you recommend? How did you validate them?
    I personally read daily going through the both OT and NT, I read a lot of
    Christians and non-Christian authors too. With the OT and NT since I don't
    speak the origional lanuages I read several different translations and try not
    stick with just one. Prayer listening to speakers touch on different topics
    also helps. The main thing is prayer and study of scripture, God promised
    that the Holy Spirit would lead us and teach us, so there is always God to
    turn to when questions arise.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 05:05
    Originally posted by galveston75

Matthew 12:31-33

I'd take it up with God if I were you, and I do it with a little more respect
    than you are showing now.
    Kelly
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 16:00
    Recently, RJ responded to a question I asked by posting a link to a Christian website that addressed the question. I have no objection to this, but it raised a question in my mind.

How does a Christian identify and "validate" the sources of guidance they will rely in WRT their faith? Based on my own experience it was a sort of packaged gift from the RCC. Th ...[text shortened]... cially relevant. Do you have sites and sources that you recommend? How did you validate them?
    Now I am thinking it would be more productive to compile a list of the sources people cite on different topics here. An example is RBHILL citing http://davelivingston.com/sonsofgod.htm in the thread on giants.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. 🙂
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 04:58
    Now I am thinking it would be more productive to compile a list of the sources people cite on different topics here. An example is RBHILL citing http://davelivingston.com/sonsofgod.htm in the thread on giants.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. 🙂
    http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 05:18
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/
    Thanks. I like the Hawai'in Pidgen for the titles of Acts of the Apostles and Revelations: "Jesus Guys" and "Wat Jesus Show John". They would make interesting reads.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree