1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 21:15
    I must admit, Thomas is my favorite amongst Jesus' disciples.

He asked for evidence when things contrary to his lifelong perception of the world were contradicted.

To put a knock on him for so doing is unreasonable. If the resurrection story really happened as told in the Most Recent Translation of the Bible We Have, he was completely within his intellectual rights to do so.

After all, if the resurrection was true, then it should have survived any and all attempts at skepticism.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 22:12
    @bigdoggproblem said

He asked for evidence when things contrary to his lifelong perception of the world were contradicted.

To put a knock on him for so doing is unreasonable. If the resurrection story really happened as told in the Most Recent Translation of the Bible We Have, he was completely within his intellectual rig ...[text shortened]... all, if the resurrection was true, then it should have survived any and all attempts at skepticism.
    The Bible doesn't "put a knock on" Thomas. Jesus didn't reprimand Thomas for doubting. The story is the same in any translation.

Why do you think that if the resurrection of Jesus is true it should "survive" attempts at skepticism?

The only ones that believe it are believers. Everyone else is either skeptical, or outright disbelieve it.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 22:26
    @secondson said
    The Bible doesn't "put a knock on" Thomas. Jesus didn't reprimand Thomas for doubting. The story is the same in any translation.

Why do you think that if the resurrection of Jesus is true it should "survive" attempts at skepticism?

The only ones that believe it are believers. Everyone else is either skeptical, or outright disbelieve it.
    See, that is a good point. The Bible, in fact, does not put a knock on Thomas. It is only some of the readers of the Bible who do so.

Call me a "romantic", but I happen to think, if a proposition is indeed true, it will withstand all attempts at skepticism.

After all, the presence of many believers in the "supernatural" resurrection of Jesus in this forum, is proof that even a false idea can captivate a large chunk of humanity, isn't it?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:118 edits
    The things that John included in his gospel are significant to his central purpose - that we would believe that Jesus is the Son of God, the Christ, and that we might have divine life in His name.

He says that the whole world wouldn't be able to contain all the books that COULD be written. He selected some things from the many things that happened surrounding Jesus to serve as helpful and representative accounts of all that they witnessed.

Thomans is there to represent most of us, wanting to be sure we are not following just a "feel good" myth. No matter how wonderful Jesus was, Thomas had to have empirical proof that He really did rise from the dead.

Ie. "Look, fellas. It was great. Jesus was great. We had a fantastic time. But face it. Its OVER! He's dead, executed by the Romans. The feel good ride is just OVER now. What can we do? And I won't go along any more with it unless I have verifiable empirical proof that Jesus is alive again."

Jesus gave Him a special appearance. And Thomas confessed that his God and Lord was Jesus.

Now, your point about the resurrection should have withstood all skepticism. There are not many, if any miracles in the Bible that withstand absolute will to reject.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:128 edits
    God came down on Mt. Sanai for well over 40 days. The people were scared to death with conviction. But it wore off. Soon the moral implications wore off. They made themselves a golden calf, said "Forget about Moses and this Yahweh of his!" And then they wanted follow some new leader back to Egypt the place of slavery - Which God called "the iron furnace" of their oppression.

What you say is interesting about skeptic proof miracles. But there is always a moral link to the things God does supernaturally. And the sinful side of man somehow causes some to disregard, disbelieve, or take for granted or otherwise neglect His miracle for their sinful nature to live without God.

Not everyone will believe. Not everyone will embrace the implications spiritually / morally of having to believe. And not everyone will see WHY it matters to let God be God.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:152 edits
    Actually, I think believing in the Son of God is something of a personal miracle itself. I often say to myself in astonishment when I hear people marshal all their intellectual reasons against Christ - "It is amazing that I actually do believe these things."

I could go on as you probably know. But anyway so called "Doubting Thomas" is not really denigrated in John. He is submitted as representative of maybe a lot of people.

"No matter how wonderful it sounds, I have to keep a practical head about it all."
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 18:43
    @sonship said
    The things that John included in his gospel are significant to his central purpose - that we would believe that Jesus is the Son of God, the Christ, and that we might have divine life in His name.

He says that the whole world wouldn't be able to contain all the books that COULD be written. He selected some things from the many things that happened surrounding Jesus to ser ...[text shortened]... kepticism. There are not many, if any miracles in the Bible that withstand absolute will to reject.
    No - not "will to reject" - evidence. Proof.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 23:30
    @bigdoggproblem said
    See, that is a good point. The Bible, in fact, does not put a knock on Thomas.
    That's not true. Jesus' words to Thomas:

“Because you have seen Me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

That's clearly a knock on Thomas for not believing.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 02:25
    @secondson said
    The Bible doesn't "put a knock on" Thomas.
    This begs the question: how do you, a Christian, not know Jesus' words knocking Thomas for his doubt?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 11:13
    @vivify

That's not true. Jesus' words to Thomas:

“Because you have seen Me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

That's clearly a knock on Thomas for not believing.

It is a loving and gentle rebuke to Thomas I think.

He acknowledges that Thomas has believed.
    It is always good that a man has come to believe.

He says blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.
    In saying this I don't think Jesus was saying Thomas was not also blessed.

Ie. "You're not blessed Thomas. But others who have not seen and believed are blessed."

I think BOTH kinds of believers are blessed.
    How you come to Jesus is secondary.
    That you COME to Jesus - that is the most important thing.

It could be remembered that Mark says Jesus scolded all the disciples for their slowness to believe.

"And afterward He appeared to the eleven as they were reclining at table, and He reproached their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen." (Mark 16:14)
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 15:22
    @bigdoggproblem said

To put a knock on him for so doing is unreasonable. If the resurrection story really happened as told in the Most Recent Translation of the Bible We Have, he was completely within his intellectual rig ...[text shortened]... all, if the resurrection was true, then it should have survived any and all attempts at skepticism.
    I did wonder, however, after seeing Jesus raise people from the dead, walk on water, etc., damn.......how much more do you need Thomas?

But alas, it would not be faith if 100% sure of everything.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 21:53
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Call me a "romantic", but I happen to think, if a proposition is indeed true, it will withstand all attempts at skepticism.
    You're a romantic. I'm afraid that propositions which are true can be frustratingly difficult to prove.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 02:48
    @whodey said
    I did wonder, however, after seeing Jesus raise people from the dead, walk on water, etc., damn.......how much more do you need Thomas?

But alas, it would not be faith if 100% sure of everything.
    I'm 100% sure, and I've never seen Jesus in the flesh.

How about you?

Yes, it is called faith, even if 100% sure.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 04:14
    @whodey said
    Maybe there weren't "raise people from the dead, walk on water" for Thomas to witness.

Maybe Thomas did not exist and was just a literary device created by the people who set up the Jesus cult of personality decades and decades later.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 04:18
    @sonship said
    Jesus gave Him a special appearance. And Thomas confessed that his God and Lord was Jesus.
    Why doesn't the Christian God do this for all doubters instead of leaving it to the likes of you and Eladar and Benny Hinn and whodey and Romans1009 and others to spread the word?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree