1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 11:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    You are assuming a few things here.

1. Hell is not simply a natural state once rejecting God.

2. There are other alternatives to rejecting God that are not as bad.

3. The Soul can be destroyed, that is, what JW"s believe will happen.
    As far as I am aware, I am not assuming any of these things. I am simply confronting an ideology that I have often seen propagated here.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 11:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    [1] What actual deterrent effect [and behaviour modification effect] do you think the threat of being tortured for eternity in burning agony has on people who don't think any such thing happens and do not subscribe to the belief system that includes this supposed punishment or fate?

[2] If the threat of being tortured for eternity in burning agony has no det ...[text shortened]... non-believers for eternity in burning agony rather than simply allowing their existence to end?
    [1] None. Not many are even paying attention. And by the same token neither does the promise of eternal life have much effect on behavior either. People just keep running away from God.

[2] Their existence does end in eternal separation from the life of God, which is the only life there is. Only God has eternal life to give.

Your terminology, "tortured for eternity in burning agony", is disingenuous and misleading, as well as inflammatory. Even if such a fate as being cast into a lake of fire is true, just how long would it take for a body to be incinerated? And, knowing that pain isn't experienced without a body, why be concerned?

The actual suffering would be, if the soul exists and doesn't die, much worse that physical pain. imo.

If the scriptures are true, and Jesus is who He said He is, then what Jesus said about those in outer darkness gnashing their proverbial teeth is something to be avoided at all costs.

One should be deterred from ignoring God by the threat of what comes after death. No one will be able to say they didn't know or weren't warned because the truth was told even by Jesus, who is the image of the invisible God.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 12:14
    Originally posted by josephw
    Your terminology, "tortured for eternity in burning agony", is disingenuous and misleading, as well as inflammatory.
    No it is not. It is a fate or punishment that has been described by several Christians active on this forum. If it's not an ideology or notion of supposed "justice" that you subscribe to, then good for you.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 12:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    You are assuming a few things here.

1. Hell is not simply a natural state once rejecting God.

2. There are other alternatives to rejecting God that are not as bad.

3. The Soul can be destroyed, that is, what JW"s believe will happen.

I don't believe "hell" to be actual fire as we know it. To think that would be to believe that Satan and his demon followers were human like us instead of spiritual beings.
    The Soul can be destroyed, that is, what JW"s believe will happen.

Ummm not its not, we profess that 'the soul', is the person not some aspect distinct from them.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 13:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The Soul can be destroyed, that is, what JW"s believe will happen.

Ummm not its not, we profess that 'the soul', is the person not some aspect distinct from them.
    The soul is the person just as you said, but can it be destroyed?

The Greek word phtheirō occurs 8 times in the KJV New Testament. 4 times as "corrupt", once " corrupt one's self", once "be corrupt", once "defile" and once as "destroy".

I can find no supporting scripture that says the "soul" is destroyed.

I do find scripture that says folks are resurrected to be judged, then cast into the lake of fire. Perhaps that is where their soul exists separated from the life of God forever.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 13:12
    ... I can find no supporting scripture that says the "soul" is destroyed...
    There are lots of things CHrist said which you say you never heard of:

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Read the teachings of Christ a bit more.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 13:31
    And another:

"Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die." Ezekiel 18:4.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 13:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    [1] What actual deterrent effect [and behaviour modification effect] do you think the threat of being tortured for eternity in burning agony has on people who don't think any such thing happens and do not subscribe to the belief system that includes this supposed punishment or fate?

[2] If the threat of being tortured for eternity in burning agony has no det ...[text shortened]... non-believers for eternity in burning agony rather than simply allowing their existence to end?
    Who is conducting said torture?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 14:06
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    And another:

"Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die." Ezekiel 18:4.
    thanks
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 17:12
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Who is conducting said torture?
    Ask the Christians who propagate the "eternal torture" ideology.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 17:45
    There are lots of things CHrist said which you say you never heard of:

[b]Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Read the teachings of Christ a bit more.[/b]
    So, if that verse is saying that the soul is destroyed in hell, what are all those that died doing standing before God being judged and then subsequently cast into the lake of fire if their souls were destroyed in hell?

I think the verse above has to do with the fear of God, and is not a proof text for the destruction of the soul.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 17:50
    And another:

Mark 9:43-48
    And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
    Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
    And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
    And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

The degenerated soul reduced to a worm.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 18:02
    So, if that verse is saying that the soul is destroyed in hell, what are all those that died doing standing before God being judged and then subsequently cast into the lake of fire if their souls were destroyed in hell?

I think the verse above has to do with the fear of God, and is not a proof text for the destruction of the soul.
    You are correct. I guess Christ was mistaken, and apparently not the first time either.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 20:332 edits
    ..."tortured for eternity in burning agony", is disingenuous and misleading, as well as inflammatory.
    Your amusing use of "inflammatory" does not distract from the interesting self denial that you are displaying. Can you explain how the mechanics of the "eternal" place "hell" will not involve "torture" and "burning agony"?
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 23:14
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Your amusing use of "inflammatory" does not distract from the interesting self denial that you are displaying. Can you explain how the mechanics of the "eternal" place "hell" will not involve "torture" and "burning agony"?
    Do you know the difference between the lake of fire and hell?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree