1. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    2969
    15 Sep '06 11:44
    A doppelgänger (pronunciation (help·info)) is the ghostly double of a living person. The word doppelgänger is a loanword from German, written there (as any noun) with an initial capital letter Doppelgänger, composed from doppel, meaning "double", and gänger, as "walker". In English, the word is conventionally not capitalized, and it is also common to drop the German diacritic umlaut on the letter "a" and write "doppelganger", although the correct spelling without umlaut would be "doppelgaenger".

    The term has, in the vernacular, come to refer to any double or look-alike of a person, most commonly in reference to a so-called evil twin, or to bilocation. Alternatively, the word is used to describe a phenomenon where you catch your own image out of the corner of your eye. In some mythologies, seeing one's own doppelgänger is an omen of death. A doppelgänger seen by friends or relatives of a person may sometimes bring bad luck, or indicate an approaching illness or health problem.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    15 Sep '06 11:47
    Mine is very good-looking, but he lacks my charm.
  3. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    2969
    15 Sep '06 11:53
    I dont like when mine read above my shoulders when I post. Its irritating!
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    15 Sep '06 12:00
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Mine is very good-looking, but he lacks my charm.
    I'm not sure which one of us wrote this sentence.
  5. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    2969
    15 Sep '06 12:04
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I'm not sure which one of us wrote this sentence.
    watch your back

    I mean: now!
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    15 Sep '06 12:06
    Originally posted by Jee
    watch your back

    I mean: now!
    An old woman rubbed whiskey on her husband's back to cure him of the pain but he broke his neck trying to lick it off.

    Reader's Digest Humour never washes off.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    15 Sep '06 12:26
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    An old woman rubbed whiskey on her husband's back to cure him of the pain but he broke his neck trying to lick it off.

    Reader's Digest Humour never washes off.
    True. I still feel dirty.
  8. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    15 Sep '06 21:49
    Der Doppelgänger

    Still ist die Nacht, es ruhen die Gassen,
    In diesem Hause wohnte mein Schatz;
    Sie hat schon längst die Stadt verlassen,
    Doch steht noch das Haus auf demselben Platz.

    Da steht auch ein Mensch und starrt in die Höhe
    Und ringt die Hände vor Schmerzensgewalt;
    Mir graust es, wenn ich sein Antlitz sehe -
    Der Mond zeigt mir meine eigne Gestalt.

    Du Doppelgänger, du bleicher Geselle!
    Was äffst du nach mein Liebesleid,
    Das mich gequält auf dieser Stelle
    So manche Nacht, in alter Zeit?

    (Heinrich Heine)

    An English translation: http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=7479
    Another one: http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=25836
  9. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11826
    15 Sep '06 21:53
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Der Doppelgänger

    Still ist die Nacht, es ruhen die Gassen,
    In diesem Hause wohnte mein Schatz;
    Sie hat schon längst die Stadt verlassen,
    Doch steht noch das Haus auf demselben Platz.

    Da steht auch ein Mensch und starrt in die Höhe
    Und ringt die Hände vor Schmerzensgewalt;
    Mir graust es, wenn ich sein Antlitz sehe -
    Der Mond zeigt mir meine ...[text shortened]... et_text.html?TextId=7479
    Another one: http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=25836
    Quatsch! 😉
  10. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    15 Sep '06 22:14
    Originally posted by Jee
    A doppelgänger (pronunciation (help·info)) is the ghostly double of a living person. The word doppelgänger is a loanword from German, written there (as any noun) with an initial capital letter Doppelgänger, composed from doppel, meaning "double", and gänger, as "walker". In English, the word is conventionally not capitalized, and it is also common to drop the Ge ...[text shortened]... n may sometimes bring bad luck, or indicate an approaching illness or health problem.
    In some mythologies, seeing one's own doppelgänger is an omen of death.
    Another reason I avoid mirrors.
  11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Joined
    05 Mar '02
    Moves
    32455
    16 Sep '06 05:103 edits
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Der Doppelgänger

    Still ist die Nacht, es ruhen die Gassen,
    In diesem Hause wohnte mein Schatz;
    Sie hat schon längst die Stadt verlassen,
    Doch steht noch das Haus auf demselben Platz.

    Da steht auch ein Mensch und starrt in die Höhe
    Und ringt die Hände vor Schmerzensgewalt;
    Mir graust es, wenn ich sein Antlitz sehe -
    Der Mond zeigt mir meine ...[text shortened]... et_text.html?TextId=7479
    Another one: http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=25836
    [Die] Winterreise!

    Haunting piece...

    Edit: AWW SNAP.

    WRONG PIECE. It's from the Schwanengesang. My bad. (I've played many
    parts of both, so I get confused.)

    I should have known -- Winterreise is by Mueller, not Heine.

    Nemesio
  12. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    16 Sep '06 05:28
    dj2becker is my dopplegaenger!
  13. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11826
    16 Sep '06 09:22
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    dj2becker is my dopplegaenger!
    How did you guess?
  14. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    16 Sep '06 16:34
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    [Die] Winterreise!

    Haunting piece...

    Edit: AWW SNAP.

    WRONG PIECE. It's from the Schwanengesang. My bad. (I've played many
    parts of both, so I get confused.)

    I should have known -- Winterreise is by Mueller, not Heine.

    Nemesio
    Yes, it's from 'Schwanengesang', but it would fit right into the 'Winterreise'. I haven't played / sung much of the 'Schwanengesang', but 'Der Doppelgänger' is one of my favourites.
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    16 Sep '06 18:35
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    How did you guess?
    I have spies everywhere.
Back to Top