1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 04:05
    I've always enjoyed Catholic iconography, full of rich imagery. Here's one example:

http://orderofmercy.org/our-lady-of-mercy-iveron-6.75x9in.jpg

Anyone else?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 06:52
    Originally posted by @vivify
    I've always enjoyed Catholic iconography, full of rich imagery. Here's one example:

Anyone else?
    Byzantine art is very beautiful and has (imho) an other-worldliness to it.
    There is/was a beautiful Art Museum in Belgrade dedicated to
    Byzantine art which I visited in the early 80s. First time I had seen
    so much of it - quite amazing. (Of course it was Yugoslavia then)
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 07:09
    "Salvator Mundi" perhaps by Leonardo da Vinci
    has just been sold in London for $450 million.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42000696
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 07:321 edit

Anyone else?
    There are literally thousands of great art pieces covering "Madonna and Child", which are my favorite sort of religious art.

But I like this one, which is relatively new, by an artist named Greg Olsen. This particular piece (The Holy Family) is similar to a section of a larger painting, The Nativity, which is another striking piece.

https://1-greg-olsen.pixels.com/featured/the-holy-family-greg-olsen.html
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 16:33
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecstasy_of_Saint_Teresa

Bernini carving this from a hunk of marble is almost unimaginable
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 18:54
    Originally posted by @js357
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecstasy_of_Saint_Teresa

Bernini carving this from a hunk of marble is almost unimaginable
    I kind of like some of Gustav Dore's wood cuts ... as far as man's imaginative art is concerned.

https://www.wikiart.org/en/gustave-dore
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 20:31
    The Venus de Milo is a good example of Religious Art which is completely (h)armless. 😞
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 21:12
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    The Venus de Milo is a good example of Religious Art which is completely (h)armless. 😞
    Well, you tried your (h)artist.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Nov '17 13:1215 edits
    Well, you tried your (h)artist.
    The Sistene chapel thingy is pretty astounding but the music of JS Bach, even the religious motifs are universal. Most of his works were religious oriented but there were a few like the Brandenburg Concertos but works like Jesu Joy of Man's desiring was beyond brilliant. I hear it played on pianoo and guitar, the best version I ever heard was by Christopher Parkening, I think that piece was Parkening at his peak.

That piece was the last movement of the Cantata Hurz und Mund und Tat und Leben, "Heart and Mouth and Deed and Life', kind of an odd title but the entire piece is incredible. People should listen to the whole thing with chorus and orchestra then listen to Jesu, either Myra Hess version on piano, an incredible version or Parkening on guitar. It is a wonderful piece.

Myra Hess, not live but just brilliant, she made the arrangement every other pianist uses today.

YouTube

Christopher Parkening, guitar:
    He makes it sound superhuman, the way he separates the choral part from the original orchestral version, simply the best version ever played on guitar.

YouTube

Guitar and Cello by Duo Rosanna, Anna Comellas, Cello, Roselind Moussa, Guitar, great name for the duo!
    Not as smooth as Parkening but the duo sound is great.

YouTube

And the entire Cantata:

YouTube
  10. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    17 Nov '17 21:03
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    The Sistene chapel thingy is pretty astounding but the music of JS Bach, even the religious motifs are universal. Most of his works were religious oriented but there were a few like the Brandenburg Concertos but works like Jesu Joy of Man's desiring was beyond brilliant. I hear it played on pianoo and guitar, the best version I ever heard was by Christoph ...[text shortened]...

[youtube]KialZHRdD7A[/youtube]

And the entire Cantata:

[youtube]fCPojg2LKDc[/youtube]
    J.S.Bach's spiritual music is astonishing for the artless intensity of emotion. It appeals as much to the athiest as to the Lutheran believer. The Mass in B minor, the St. Matthew and St John Passions are the defining culmination of Baroque contrapuntal composition allied with an aching religious devotion. The greatest and, in my view, only gift that Christianity has bestowed upon the world is its art. The Brahms, Mozart and Fauré Requiems, Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, Wagner's Parsifal etc. all take the listener on an extraordinary spiritually intense journey.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Nov '17 22:064 edits
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    J.S.Bach's spiritual music is astonishing for the artless intensity of emotion. It appeals as much to the athiest as to the Lutheran believer. The Mass in B minor, the St. Matthew and St John Passions are the defining culmination of Baroque contrapuntal composition allied with an aching religious devotion. The greatest and, in my view, only gift that Chri ...[text shortened]... s, Wagner's Parsifal etc. all take the listener on an extraordinary spiritually intense journey.
    J.S.Bach's spiritual music is astonishing for the artless intensity of emotion. It appeals as much to the athiest as to the Lutheran believer.

That's because Bach was very good at discovering and creating beauty out of the design and mathematics and harmony built into sound manipulation possibilities by the Creator God that man may enjoy music.

The intelligent design of tonal relationships is not accident.
    God put it in there allowing man to read out creatively the logical relationships of His design for enjoyment.

The atheist is benefiting from God's designs in nature, free of charge.
    Nothing new there.

By the way, i like some "spiritually" seeking like music not explicitly Christian.

Alexander Scriabin "Divine Poem" for example.
    Novak's "Eternal Yearning".
    Loeffler's "Pagan Hymn".
    Debussy "La Mer".

All beautiful anyway in their own right, in their exploration of auditory structures put into creation by an intelligent God of beauty.
  12. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 08:05
    Originally posted by @sonship
    J.S.Bach's spiritual music is astonishing for the artless intensity of emotion. It appeals as much to the athiest as to the Lutheran believer.

That's because Bach was very good at discovering and creating beauty out of the design and mathematics and harmony built into sound manipulation possibilities by the Creator God that man may enjoy ...[text shortened]... , in their exploration of auditory structures put into creation by an intelligent God of beauty.
    "That's because Bach was very good at discovering and creating beauty out of the design and mathematics and harmony built into sound manipulation possibilities by the Creator God that man may enjoy music. "

Subjective opiniion. Irrelevant.

Objective fact - That's because Bach was very good at discovering and creating beauty out of the design and mathematics and harmony built into sound manipulation possibilities.

How it got there is irrelevant.

"The intelligent design of tonal relationships is not accident.
    God put it in there allowing man to read out creatively the logical relationships of His design for enjoyment."

Subjective opinion. Irrelevant.

Objective fact - The intelligent design of tonal relationships is not accident. Music is essentially a scientific and mathematical correlation of number. How you use that magical combination is limited only by your imagination, intelligence and skill.

Whether or not any intelligent design placed it there is irrelevant.

Please do not insult my intelligence by spouting opiniated tosh to try explain the awesome beauty and wonder of music.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 12:08

Anyone else?
    There is a lot of music I love, to numerous to name. The painting that gets to me is
    "The Creation of Adam" I believe is the name by Michelangelo, except I enjoying seeing
    only a small portion of the picture, which is the hand of God reaching to Adam, instead of
    the full piece of art.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 12:102 edits
    Under revision.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 12:284 edits
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    Please do not insult my intelligence by spouting opiniated tosh to try explain the awesome beauty and wonder of music.

The Culture forum is probably more a place where talk of art would not gender some comment on Spirituality and God relevance on the subject matter.

But you invite some spiritually relevant comment with such an opininated statement as this -

The greatest and, in my view, only gift that Christianity has bestowed upon the world is its art.

Well, its an interesting opinion. But over here in may invite comment why understanding man being made in God's image, and in a reflecting way, mirroring God's attributes, is a reasonable explanation as to why we do appreciate beauty in man's creativity. God being the Original Creator.

Its arguable that Christian theology has also given us an explanation for human appreciation for order and beauty in artistic creation.

Sorry, we tend to gravitate towards talk like that over here.
    Maybe had I seen your comment over on Culture I would have kept that remark out of the thread.

Tell me. How would you compare the beauty of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier to that of John Cage's Music for Prepared Piano ?

Just curious.

But if you're too educated or intelligent to humor me, nevermind.
    I can take it up with someone else more my speed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree