1. Colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '05 23:001 edit
    Originally posted by mattlango
    Arguments you want. You believe in a being you have never spoken to directly or heard a reponse from, you blindly believe that this being created the world in 6 days because it was written in a book (when was that book written by the way?) You blindly believe that this being controls how your life will be lived. My argument is common sense, you are a fool ...[text shortened]... name of their god? You tell a child dying of starvation in africa that god has a plan for them?
    Actually, you make some good points. Blind faith is foolish. It leads to much brainwashing and evil. The fact that there are so many different kinds of religions (100's just in christianity) is proof that something that is divine just cannot be explained by human words.

I believe that God must be experienced to be understood, kinda like an orange needs to be tasted to be understood. Probably the only proof you're ever likely to accept of God's existance is the proof you find by seeking him.

I realize this may sound silly. Why should somebody search for flying elephant's their whole life? But flying elephant's don't have anything to do with why we are here. Somethings are worth searching for in an of themselves.
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    02 Oct '05 23:24
    Originally posted by RatX
    He spoke some [b]truth?![/b]
    Unfortunately for you, yes. 'God', as you will come to understand when you grow up, is a result of elements of the human psyche. You are free, however, to wallow around in self-induced ignorance for as long as you wish. I'll bet you can even find others who share your delusions, and you can all sit around the campfire holding hands and praising 'him' for giving you the 'gift' of everlasting life.
  3. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    02 Oct '05 23:413 edits
    Originally posted by mattlango
    First of all its Sydney. I am no more enlightened than the next bloke i just know common sense and god one above all creater of all living things is not common sense its a nursery rhyme told to kids so they aren't scared of dying!! "dont worry little Billy when you die you got to heaven" yeah right whatever, no proof no eyewitness reports just 1 book full of myths!!!
    Are you actively trying to display your obtuse stupidity?

To quote you:

"First of all" (which actually implies that there's a second of all, by the way) it's 'creator'.

Sidney/Sydney Sodom/Gomorrah

It's much of a muchness, really. Only difference is Sodom and Gomorrah weren't in the colonial backwaters, and I would hazard populated by more literate folk than yourself, kind imbecile.

EDIT: toned this down a bit- anyway, your ineptitude is so evident that I won't stress it any further.
  4. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 00:031 edit
    Originally posted by David C
    Unfortunately for you, yes. 'God', as you will come to understand when you grow up, is a result of elements of the human psyche. You are free, however, to wallow around in self-induced ignorance for as long as you wish. I'll bet you can even find others who share your delusions, and you can all sit around the campfire holding hands and praising 'him' for giving you the 'gift' of everlasting life.
    My goodness- isn't the rest of humanity silly. Not you, though. You're no chump, are you? You're as bad as the first fellow.

Campfire sing alongs? What planet have you been living on? There are far more self-righteous, mean-spirited, self-congratulating secular extremists about these days anyway, rubbing their hands and turning their noses at the rest of the world.

You believe in the psyche, then?

But you put on the self-satisfied atheist's hat and sneer at people who believe in God.

So, you've cracked millennia of theology and philosophy. You are a genius. It's a shame you didn't jump on board all this lark back when it might have been considered a controversial move by a young French intellectual.

Original? Interesting? Really, you are very old hat.

I should really desist from responding to this predictable tripe.
    I have never posted to fall into either theist/atheist camp. But I can't stand such mind-numbing masturbatory arrogance.
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 00:35
    You believe in the psyche, then?

Yes.

But you put on the self-satisfied atheist's hat and sneer at people who believe in God.

Caught me red-handed, you did.

So, you've cracked millennia of theology and philosophy.

It's been going on a lot longer than a 'millenia', but I get your 'point'.

Original? Interesting? Really, you are very old hat.

Sure. Feel better now?

I should really desist from responding to this predictable tripe.

You really should.

But I can't stand such mind-numbing masturbatory arrogance.

Kind of like this? (even though you've edited yourself...)

Watch out, Bruce, I think a homosexual dingo is buggering your baby!!!
  6. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 00:432 edits
    [b]You believe in the psyche, then?

Yes.

Caught me red-handed, you did.

So, you've cracked millennia of theology and philosophy.

It's been going on a lot longer than a 'millenia', but I get your 'point'.

Original? Interesting? ...[text shortened]... ed yourself...)

[b]Watch out, Bruce, I think a homosexual dingo is buggering your baby!!!
    [/b]
    {edits undo bold and repeated part of previous message}

[/b]
    Good one- but the dingo was too much, so it had to go.

By the way, the intellectual that you are, you will quickly realise your mistake, and edit to correct yourself.

‘Millennia’ are plural, genius.

Now get back to solving the mysteries of the universe.
  7. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 01:06
    Originally posted by sjeg
    {edits undo bold and repeated part of previous message}

Good one- but the dingo was too much, so it had to go.

By the way, the intellectual that you are, you will quickly realise your mistake, and edit to correct yourself.

‘Millennia’ are plural, genius.

Now get back to solving the mysteries of the universe.[/b]
    Nah, I'll leave my grammatical error for all to laugh at, as it completely invalidates everything I posted, you know? (insert RatX comment here...)

As for your Dingo remark, just goes to show even the most pious among you can give in to moments of annoyance at the absolute terms that people tend to use in this forum. I'm quite guilty of it myself.
  8. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 07:07
    (insert RatX comment here...)
    A request to the moderators: Please open a forum for the dull-witted, blundering babblers who throw nonsensical doo-doo all over this one. Perhaps they could ask matt to start it off with another witless post... It'll be a shame to see you go David C, but do pop by from time to time for a little fun. 😉
  9. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 08:10
    A request to the moderators: Please open a forum for the dull-witted, blundering babblers who throw nonsensical doo-doo all over this one. Perhaps they could ask matt to start it off with another witless post... It'll be a shame to see you go David C, but do pop by from time to time for a little fun. 😉
    Poor, blind, misguided Ratboy...unable to control his emotions at the absolute terms with which I dismiss his storybook saviour as plagarized mythology. Busily crafting yet another ad hominem because deep down in his feral little heart, he fears I may be right.
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 08:37
    Poor, blind, misguided Ratboy...
    http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/ratboy.jpg
  11. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 08:58
    Poor, blind, misguided Ratboy...unable to control his emotions at the absolute terms with which I dismiss his storybook saviour as plagarized mythology. Busily crafting yet another ad hominem because deep down in his feral little heart, he fears I may be right.
    Calling you dull is a major underestimation of just how tedious you are.

I have no fears, for if you are right, it will change nothing - if there is no God, if there was no Christ, if your world is made up of chemicals, energy and no more, it would be a lackluster bowl of dirt with no meaning or purpose. However, if I am right, you will face the tragedy of a meaningless life spent searching for people dumber than you are...

In reality, I don't give a rat's @$$ for your insipid dismissal of the person of Christ - it's so far out, I won't bother chasing it to show it for the hogwash it is...If you can dismiss the records of Cornelius Tacitus, Lucian of Samosata, Suetonius, Pliny the Younger, Thallus, Phlegon, Mara Bar-Serapion and Josephus, you rank somewhere on the "willfully ignorant" or dumb-on-purpose intellectuals.
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 09:01
    ...if your world is made up of chemicals, energy and no more, it would be a lackluster bowl of dirt with no meaning or purpose..
    Do you have an argument in support of this claim?
  13. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 09:111 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 09:152 edits
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Do you have an argument in support of this claim?
    On your ratboy link - HILARIOUS!!!

Ok, I know this should have a thread on its own, but I have been on both sides, I've argued for and against evolution, humanism etc. I personally don't like to have an adulterated worldview, mixing evolution with ID and so on - they start to debase themselves. As I went through my studies of evolution, all human emotions, passions, humour and even love were attributed to chemical responses (man is nothing more than a complex mixture of macro-molecules). There is far more on this, but I haven't the time right now. I could dedicate a more eloquent post this evening...
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    03 Oct '05 09:191 edit
    On your ratboy link - HILARIOUS!!!

Ok, I know this should have a thread on its own, but I have been on both sides, I've argued for and against evolution, humanism etc. I personally don't like have an adulterated worldview, mixing evolution with ID and so on - they start to debase themselves. As I went through my studies of evolution, all human emotions, pa ...[text shortened]... n this, but I haven't the time right now. I could dedicate a more eloquent post this evening...
    Well, I await your future post. Perhaps a new thread is in order, because I often see this claim made in the forums, and I can't remember it ever being systematically addressed. As a quick rejoinder, suppose that the world is completely mechanistic, and that our psychologies can be reduced to biochemistry, or chemistry or physics. Would that entail that the love you have for your friends is any less real or important?

Cheers,

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree