1. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 20:492 edits
    Originally posted by joelek
    Well, I would have thought the the Aramic (I assume you mean Aramaic) Bible would be written in Aramaic, not English. So I'm not sure how you're quoting from it in English.

Furthermore, if you look at my original post, you'll see:

[b]If you don't believe the Bible, then I can't prove to your satisfaction that Jesus is God.

Your argument pu ...[text shortened]... is category, and hence I will not try to prove Jesus' deity to you.

[Edited for typos only.][/b]
    I'm not quite in that category. I believe in the teachings of the bible and the existence of the true original bible, I'm just skeptical of the new incarnations of it.

Regardless of that, I don't quite understand the whole allure of the holy trinity to begin with. That and, what the relationship of Jesus and his creator is confuses me as well.

Edit: I should probably add that the religion should stand within itself without flaws. I'm not saying that there are flaws, that would be a subjective argument until proved, but the whole thing should make sense overall.
  2. Halifax, NS
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 21:09
    Originally posted by Tetsujin
    Regardless of that, I don't quite understand the whole allure of the holy trinity to begin with. That and, what the relationship of Jesus and his creator is confuses me as well.
    I don't really think of it as allure -- it is what it is.

As for Jesus, He wasn't created. Well, let's rephrase that. Jesus was born as the incarnation of the Son of God. Jesus (as man) had a beginning -- at His birth. There was no Jesus prior to that. Jesus is the name Mary gave her son.

But the Son of God (who is the Word in John 1:1) did not have a beginning; He was not created. The Son took on bodily form as Jesus when He came to this earth for 30 years or so.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 21:11
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Of course not. A Christian (in the most general sense) is a follower of Christ. No person can follow himself, so God is not a Christian.
    But if we use some of the definitions that have been floating around then God must follow himself.

Good is that which is like God (i.e. "in his nature"😉.
    For one to follow God is for one to do what God wants one to do.
    God wants good to be done.
    God can only do good.
    Therefore God can only follow God.

I don't know if the Pope ever sanctioned this, but it seems inescapable for some of the other xians.
  4. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 21:19
    Originally posted by telerion
    But if we use some of the definitions that have been floating around then God must follow himself.

Good is that which is like God (i.e. "in his nature"😉.
    For one to follow God is for one to do what God wants one to do.
    God wants good to be done.
    God can only do good.
    Therefore God can only follow God.

I don't know if the Pope ever sanctioned this, but it seems inescapable for some of the other xians.
    No one follows him or herself. That is tautological. Which is why some would find it to be air tight.

If God can only do good, that does not mean that all good is in the reflection of what God would want us to do.

With good intentions, one could do something that God would not want us to do.

Therefore, one can follow God without doing what God intends for us to do.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 22:37
    Originally posted by Tetsujin
    It is only contradictory to the presupposed "fact", one that awaits validation.

Although I can see why you would not like me to make such a statement and claim it as fact, it is in no part different from the belief it contradicts.

Since my contratiction, as previously stated, is preceeded by the very idea it contradicts, there must be a reason for the acceptance of the preceeding idea, or my statement is unnecessary.

Your move.
    Fair enough. I was merely drawing attention to your flaunted "fact" - which suggested a proof to back it up. If you have none to offer, then IMO your claim is merely a belief.

Your move.

By what criteria would you accept a proof for the divinity of Christ? Do you need a DNA sample? Eyewitness accounts? Would quoting scripture suffice? Or do you need conclusive proof for the authenticity of scripture? As I'm sure you are well aware, this could become a drawn out process.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree