1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 09:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The closest one
    to me is in a war memorial hall, i have mixed feelings about entering it. At least its not
    a church, which is out of bounds, 4sure.
    Why would a church be "out of bounds"?
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 11:23
    hmm, it sounds ok, when i picture a chess club i think of men in dinner jackets, with
    long moustaches, smoking cigars and reading The Times while some young Indian
    serves Pimms No1 with crushed ice and lemonade, now they let anyone in, with training
    shoes and T-shirts! Oh the empire! the Great British empire, America was lost and the
    world w ...[text shortened]... ve mixed feelings about entering it. At least its not
    a church, which is out of bounds, 4sure.
    It sounds ok?! I'm not quite sure what you'd expect from a chess club? It's a room full of men playing chess and talking about chess whilst having a beer or two or even a soft drink if that's your style. Do i wear a tie? No. It's a chess club, not a wedding.

Why would a church be 'out of bounds'?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 11:29
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Thanks, Proper Knob.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 11:39
    It sounds ok?! I'm not quite sure what you'd expect from a chess club? It's a room full of men playing chess and talking about chess whilst having a beer or two or even a soft drink if that's your style. Do i wear a tie? No. It's a chess club, not a wedding.

what i would expect and what is reality are entirely different things, i would expect
    perhaps some lectures on a demonstration board, a library to peruse some classic
    chess books, guidance from the higher rated players and appreciative spectators to
    shower my board with gold coins at some brilliancy. A church is out of the question for
    scriptural reasons.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 11:53
    what i would expect and what is reality are entirely different things, i would expect
    perhaps some lectures on a demonstration board, a library to peruse some classic
    chess books, guidance from the higher rated players and appreciative spectators to
    shower my board with gold coins at some brilliancy. A church is out of the question for
    scriptural reasons.
    i would expect perhaps some lectures on a demonstration board

Maybe that does happen at some clubs, maybe it does happen at the one i go to but i've only been a few times.

a library to peruse some classic chess books

The chess club i go to is a public room, we use it on a Tuesday along with the bingo in the bar. Wednesday is 'Weightwatchers' and i'm not sure what else goes on during the week, we have a few cupboards to store our stuff, not really the room for a library of chess books, although i'm sure the other members would have no problem in lending out their own personal books.

guidance from the higher rated players

This of course happens, it's normal and to be expected that when a league game is finished upstairs players bring their game notes down and people sit round a board to go through a game.

appreciative spectators to shower my board with gold coins at some brilliancy

I'm not sure about that one.

A church is out of the question for scriptural reasons

Tell me more.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 13:161 edit
    [b]i would expect perhaps some lectures on a demonstration board

Maybe that does happen at some clubs, maybe it does happen at the one i go to but i've only been a few times.

a library to peruse some classic chess books

The chess club i go to is a public room, we use it on a Tuesday along with the bingo in the bar. Wednesday is 'Weig t one.

A church is out of the question for scriptural reasons

Tell me more.[/b]
    ok, all is fine and well, the chess clubs near me, one is held in a conference room of a
    golf club, the other in a war memorial hall, the other in a small civic building, another in
    a church. Entering a church is of course a matter of conscience, but i despise the
    opulence of churches, the memorials of those who have been sacrificed on the alter of
    war and the fact that it represents, to us at least, a primary part of what the Bible
    terms, Babylon the great, the world empire of false religion. Christians are counselled,
    to get out of her.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 22:38
    ok, all is fine and well, the chess clubs near me, one is held in a conference room of a
    golf club, the other in a war memorial hall, the other in a small civic building, another in
    a church. Entering a church is of course a matter of conscience, but i despise the
    opulence of churches, the memorials of those who have been sacrificed on the alt ...[text shortened]... the great, the world empire of false religion. Christians are counselled,
    to get out of her.
    Who decides if a church is "out of bounds"; do you decide yourself or would you require validation from a JW elder?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree