1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 11:024 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Half of Genesis alludes to god[b]s creating everything and there are plenty of
    references to other gods. The OT is just a mishmash of polytheism and
    monotheism. What I find amusing is that much later this plurality of gods is used
    to support the idea of a Trinity![/b]
    Half of Genesis alludes to gods creating everything and there are plenty of references to other gods.

One half of Genesis alludes to gods creating everything? So up to about chapter 25 there are "plenty of references to other gods" creating everything.

Could you give me three examples of plenty of gods creating everything in the first half of Genesis ?

I'm out here on a limb now. You may just do it. So give it a go.

The OT is just a mishmash of polytheism and
    monotheism. What I find amusing is that much later this plurality of gods is used to support the idea of a Trinity!

Give me three examples of the "mishmash of polytheism" in the Old Testament please. I'm very curious.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 12:046 edits
    While I'm waiting for wolfgang to present his examples of plenty of creating gods and examples of mishmash of polytheism in the Old Testamen, I submit some examples of monotheism in the Old Testament.

Monotheism in the OT: [/b]

"Turn to Me and be saved, All the ends of the earth, For I am God and there is no one else." (Isaiah 45:22)

"I am Jehovah and there is no one else; Besides Me there is no God." (Isaiah 45:5)

"Thus says Jehovah the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, Jehovah of hosts, I am the First and I am the Last, And apart from Me there is no God." (Isa. 44:6)

"And you are My witnesses. Is there a God besides Me? Or is there any other Rock? I do not know of any. " (Isa. 44:8b)

What about other gods participating in the creating of the universe ?
    God says He did so "alone".

"I am Jehovah who makes all things, Who alone stretches out the heavens, Who spread out the earth (Who was with Me?) " (Isaiah 44:24)

Do we have God speaking of punishing other gods ? Yes, someting like that. The fallen angels and demonic spirits deceived men into worshipping them through idols. In Exodus I believe there are some references to God punishing either the idols or the other gods.

But in Genesis He is "the Most High God." - "And Melchizedec the king of Salem brought out bread and wine. Now he was the priest of God the Most High. And he blessed him [Abram] and said, Blessed be Abram of God the Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth, And blessed be God the Most High, Who has delivered your enemies into your hand." (See Genesis 14:18-20)

God identifies as the "Most High" amid fake idols and god impersonators of fallen angels and demonic spirits. You have monotheism in the Old Testament. The nations sacrifice to idols which are lies and not real gods (Psalm 115:4-8).
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 12:52
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Does anyone believe this stuff any more?? Genesis was written by primitive man as an attempt to explain Life, the Universe and Everything. Primitive man had a primitive understanding of science and evolution. You cannot take this statement as a literal explanation of creation. The sooner we accept that much of Genesis is simply an attempt by early man to ...[text shortened]... rly man it seemed a neat formula to say that God created him in God's likeness. Problem solved.
    Does anyone believe this stuff any more??

Unfortunately yes.

Over 40% of the population of the USA believes it for starters.

Primitive man had a primitive understanding of science and evolution.

Primitive man had no understanding of science or evolution because those things hadn't been invented yet.

The sooner we accept that much of Genesis is simply an attempt by early man to explain his existence,
    a creation myth, if you like, the better. There is a fundamental need to explain existence, and for early man it
    seemed a neat formula to say that God created him in God's likeness. Problem solved.

Well yes obviously... Do tell what your master plan is for convincing people who, think that believing things
    based on faith is both valid and virtuous and who wouldn't follow the rules of logic and reason even if they
    knew them, that the bible isn't literally true and that god doesn't exist?
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 13:043 edits
    erased
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 16:31
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well yes obviously... Do tell what your master plan is for convincing people who, think that believing things
    based on faith is both valid and virtuous and who wouldn't follow the rules of logic and reason even if they
    Yes, do tell...

Even when you say it, it still sounds like the pathetic ramblings of desperate men, driven by their one true leader, the ancient deceiver and the master of lies.

Yeah, good luck with that.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 16:40
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes, do tell...

Even when you say it, it still sounds like the pathetic ramblings of desperate men, driven by their one true leader, the ancient deceiver and the master of lies.

Yeah, good luck with that.
    "...their one true leader, the ancient deceiver and the master of lies"

No enduring ideology will fail to depict its critics as agents of the enemy, if such a facile option is available.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 18:375 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    "...their one true leader, the ancient deceiver and the master of lies"

No enduring ideology will fail to depict its critics as agents of the enemy, if such a facile option is available.

The New Testament says that " the WHOLE WORLD lies in the evil one."
    The Bible says that the Devil has deceived the whole inhabited earth.
    That includes the deception upon all who are in the inhabited earth.

I will not speak for Suzianne here. But when some of us Christians say that someone is being deceived by the enemy Satan, we certainly are not saying that we ourselves have not also been susceptible to his deception.

We see where truth can be found though. In the word of God, with Christ, the truth.

Saying that certain opposers are being led by Satan, for us is somewhat like saying we are all on the sinking Titanic, and some have not yet realized it. They are still lulled into thinking everything is OK.

There is an amount of empathy in some of us, when we warn others that they are being deceived by God's enemy.

Understand ?
  8. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 21:43
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Does anyone believe this stuff any more??

Unfortunately yes.

Over 40% of the population of the USA believes it for starters.

Primitive man had a primitive understanding of science and evolution.

Primitive man had no understanding of science or evolution because those things hadn't been invented yet.

[quote]The ...[text shortened]... n even if they

Just a minor clarification here, evolution was not invented, it was discovered.

--- Penguin
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 23:15
    Originally posted by Penguin
    [b]Primitive man had no understanding of science or evolution because those things hadn't been invented yet.

Just a minor clarification here, evolution was not invented, it was discovered.

--- Penguin[/b]
    hmm, the process was discovered, the explanatory concepts were invented...?

Maybe...
  10. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 23:40
    Originally posted by jaywill
    ... The New Testament says that " the WHOLE WORLD lies in the evil one."
    We see where truth can be found though. In the word of God, with Christ, the truth.
    no, you can't see where truth can be found. if the whole inhabited world is deceived by satan, then the word of god can be satan's work and christ could be satan's minion or satan himself and you would not be able to tell the difference.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Jul '12 04:45
    Could you give me three examples of plenty of gods creating everything in the first half of Genesis ?

Give me three examples of the "mishmash of polytheism" in the Old Testament please. I'm very curious.[/b]
    Off the top of my head no.
    Use Google.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '12 05:421 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Off the top of my head no.
    Use Google.
    Got it ! Confidently affirm things about the Bible like you really know what you are talking about. Then when called to back it up send the inquirer off to Google.

Good bluster.

Half of Genesis alludes to gods creating everything and there are plenty of references to other gods. The OT is just a mishmash of polytheism and monotheism. What I find amusing is that much later this plurality of gods is used to support the idea of a Trinity!
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '12 16:36

The New Testament says that [b]" the WHOLE WORLD lies in the evil one."

...[text shortened]... e of us, when we warn others that they are being deceived by God's enemy.

Understand ?[/b]
    Saying that certain opposers are being led by Satan, for us is somewhat like saying we are all on the sinking Titanic, and some have not yet realized it. They are still lulled into thinking everything is OK.

There is an amount of empathy in some of us, when we warn others that they are being deceived by God's enemy.

Understand ?

You seem to be agreeing but not agreeing, so I must not be understanding -- saying these two ways of depicting your critics are "somewhat" alike, that is.

Perhaps "No enduring ideology will fail to depict its critics as (sometimes unwitting) agents of the enemy, if such a facile option is available" would suit you better.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '12 21:52
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    so why does corinthians say that man should not have his head covered because he is the image and glory of god [b]BUT a woman is the glory of man.

there is a clear indication here that it is man who is more god like, does this refer to mans physicality or is it blatant sexism!![/b]
    because the books after jesus are written to appeal to the patriarchal society of romans, who were basically the whole world. if you give a concession (women must obey men), you get the biggest empire to spread jesus' message, which is a nice one. also, society depended on women staying home and look after the children (somebody had to).

today one simply must realize that some things in the book are outdated and not be afraid to make changes.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '12 22:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So most animals were 'made in his image' but to differing degrees. I think you will not find many Christians agreeing with you on that one.
    i am not looking, but there are many liberal christians who don't find it against god's will to look on animals as worthy of love and respect.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree