1. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Apr '12 19:551 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Might be a non starter if the 'live chick layers' keep getting their guts ripped out during the birthing process, but I get your point if it was not for that disadvantage it could have been the beginning of a very successful mutation.
    I strongly suspect that the damage to the chicken had nothing to do with the chick hatching and more to do with whatever caused it to hold those eggs in for so long - or possibly its owners investigating the problem and discovering the chick.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Apr '12 20:043 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I stand corrected. Does this include single cellular life?
    However, I still maintain that some life forms do not reproduce sexually and therefore do not have eggs.
    You are correct that asexual organisms do not have eggs.

I can't imagine how a single celled organism could have eggs because eggs are created when other cells divide. It's possible I suppose but in general eggs are in multicellular life as far as I know.

It might help to realize that the male version of the egg is the sperm. Any species with sperm in the males has eggs in the females. Plant sperm is in pollen.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Apr '12 20:15
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You are correct that asexual organisms do not have eggs.

I can't imagine how a single celled organism could have eggs because eggs are created when other cells divide. It's possible I suppose but in general eggs are in multicellular life as far as I know.

It might help to realize that the male version of the egg is the sperm. Any species with sperm in the males has eggs in the females. Plant sperm is in pollen.
    But it could be argued a single cell organism IS an egg. It has a membrane and genetic stuff inside like an egg.

If the current theory of how life began, the scientific one, the first thing that develops in a prebiotic planet is the membrane and can arise from clays and such.
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 Apr '12 21:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I strongly suspect that the damage to the chicken had nothing to do with the chick hatching and more to do with whatever caused it to hold those eggs in for so long - or possibly its owners investigating the problem and discovering the chick.
    Yeah the article does not make it clear, I am speculating on claws and jutty out bits being forced down a birth passage that is designed for smooth egg shaped objects. Hopefully experts in Anatomy and Genetics will study the dead mother and live chick.

Seems to be more of a fatally delayed egg laying than a genetically mutated breed of chicken.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Apr '12 21:10
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But it could be argued a single cell organism IS an egg. It has a membrane and genetic stuff inside like an egg.

If the current theory of how life began, the scientific one, the first thing that develops in a prebiotic planet is the membrane and can arise from clays and such.
    Eggs are the monoploid stage of a diploid organism. Do single celled organisms change ploidy e.g. humans have 23 PAIRS of chromosomes - human eggs have 23 SINGLE chromosomes.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 06:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Eggs are the monoploid stage of a diploid organism. Do single celled organisms change ploidy
    I believe that some single celled organisms do reproduce sexually.

I also believe that not all sexually reproducing organisms have sexes, so no male and female and therefore no distinction between 'egg' and 'sperm'.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 21:501 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    No, it was always about the chicken:

"A Sri Lanka hen has given birth to a chick without an egg, in a new twist on the [b]age-old question of whether the chicken or the egg came first
    ."

It is you who is moving the goalposts.

Penguin.[/b]
    In the article it states, "Instead of passing out of the hen's body and being incubated outside, the egg was incubated in the hen for 21 days and then hatched inside the hen."

So there was an EGG. The hen came first then reproduced by means of
    the EGG. This is just another journalistic gemick headline to attract attention
    and is not actually true. 😏
  8. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '12 14:21
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    In the article it states, "Instead of passing out of the hen's body and being incubated outside, the egg was incubated in the hen for 21 days and then hatched inside the hen."

So there was an EGG. The hen came first then reproduced by means of
    the EGG. This is just another journalistic gemick headline to attract attention
    and is not actually true. 😏
    But where did the hen come from?

--- Penguin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree