1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Feb '14 00:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is called "The Gap Theory." However, there is no evidence for such a theory and it is really, at best, an hypothesis. In fact, all the evidence indicates there is no gap in time there.
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Neither the Bible nor science provides precise data for determining the age of the earth. There's a gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 during which the earth apparently became a wasteland without life for an unknown period of time. Genesis 1: 1-2 The Creation: "1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth [?] 2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters."
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Feb '14 02:201 edit
    Neither the Bible nor science provides precise data for determining the age of the earth. There's a gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 during which the earth apparently became a wasteland without life for an unknown period of time. Genesis 1: 1-2 The Creation: "1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth [?] 2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters."

Footnote: Genesis 1:1 contains a brief announcement of the magnificent creation of the universe (not a detailed account of God's handiwork). The ominous tone of Genesis 1:2 is in sharp contrast to the straightforward statement of verse one. Though the earth had been created perfect, it had become a different place requiring restoration: Isaiah 45:18. New American Standard Bible "For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (He is the God who formed the earth and made it, He established it and did not create it [a] a waste place, but formed it to be inhabited), “I am the Lord, and there is none else." "Footnotes: a. Isa. 45:18 Or in vain." (Isa. 14:13-14; Rev. 12:4a and Ezek. 28:17-18: God's judgment of Satan)
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Feb '14 13:26
    No, God did not create any fossils to confuse us. God told us what he did and in what order, but without great detail. He gave us just enough information to keep us on the right track so we have the enjoyment of discovering the details.

The catastrophic events associated with the worldwide flood of Noah's time accounts for much of the fossil record and ...[text shortened]... long ago. In recent times before the word "dinosaur" was devised, the common term was "dragon".
    I am not competent to judge whether a gap is implied by the account in Genesis of the creation process. I will assume, in either case, that the account in Genesis is that life first appeared only after the gap (if there was one).

Concerning fossils: a flood might account for the laying bare of fossils previously covered, or the transportation of fossils to other places. It does not account for the following: water (even a deluge of it) does not turn bone to stone.

If only a few thousand years were sufficient time to turn bone into stone, then we should expect to have found petrified Egyptians in their tombs, petrified Assyrians in their tombs, petrified Celts under their burial mounds, petrified Indians in the Andes, and so on--in fact, we find bones, not fossils, from such excavations.

The chemical processes involved in turning once-living tissue to mineral require longer spans of time, orders of magnitude longer, than a few thousand years. You can't make 12-year old whiskey in a month.

If, as RJH says, humans saw living dinosaurs=dragons, then we should expect to have found dinosaur=dragon bones; in fact, we find only fossils of them. This is strong evidence that they did not live concurrently with humans.

The 'evidence' that humans and dinosaurs=dragons lived concurrently is anecdotal: it consists of literary descriptions and graphic depictions of such creatures. This type of 'evidence' is equivalent to descriptions and depictions of centaurs, minotaurs, hydras, fairies, elves, kobolds, sprites, pixies, Neriads and mermaids. The credible evidence that dinosaurs actually existed (whereas the other creatures listed did not) is the fossil record, not human anecdotes.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 06:39
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I am not competent to judge whether a gap is implied by the account in Genesis of the creation process. I will assume, in either case, that the account in Genesis is that life first appeared only after the gap (if there was one).

Concerning fossils: a flood might account for the laying bare of fossils previously covered, or the transportation of fossils t ...[text shortened]... existed (whereas the other creatures listed did not) is the fossil record, not human anecdotes.
    So last week I mentioned (and showed a picture of) my fossil teddy bear. I intended to discuss this in a later post, but I didn’t expect the attention it would get and people asking me “Well….what about that teddy bear???”

So just how long does it take a fossil to form? Doesn’t it take thousands or millions of years? Nope. The fossilized teddy bear above only took about 3 months to make. It’s the same process (called permineralization) that occurs with dinosaur bones. In fact this is significant for a number of reasons. If we were to cut into the bear, we would find that the bear is still there. It’s the same with fossil dinosaur bones – the bone is still there. The bone has been coated with, and permeated by rock, but the bone is still there.

This process has led to remarkable findings such as soft T. rex meat, blood vessels and blood cells found inside a fossil T. rex leg bone in Montana a few years back.

http://careyjaneclark.com/fast-fossil-form/

Dinosaurs & Dragons

YouTube

Forbidden Science - Shattering the Myths

YouTube
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 09:331 edit
    I stand corrected. Fossilization can occur in shorter periods of time than I previously thought.

I quote a passage from Clark's web site, to which you linked: "In Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta, dinosaur bones were sometimes encased in ironstone nodules shortly after they were buried 75 million years ago."

75 million years ago. Got that? Millions of years ago, even if the fossilization process took only minutes, it was MILLIONS of years ago. Your own source on fossilization asserts that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago, yet you claim the Earth is only a few thousands of years old. The mental gymnastics of which you are capable are truly impressive.

Do you begin to imagine why some atheists, by which I mean the ones who actively reject Christian dogma, actively reject Christian dogma?

I'll give you a clue: it isn't always hatred of God, as you are perhaps wont to suppose. In some cases it is disenchantment with the intellectual contortions required to embrace the dogma.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 09:36
    I quote a passage from Clark's web site, to which you linked: "In Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta, dinosaur bones were sometimes encased in ironstone nodules shortly after they were buried 75 million years ago."

75 million years ago. Got that? Millions of years ago, even if the fossilization process took only minutes, it was MILLIONS of years ago. You ...[text shortened]... some cases it is disenchantment with the intellectual contortions required to embrace the dogma.
    Neither the Bible nor science provides precise data for determining the age of the earth. Next topic?
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 10:05
    Neither the Bible nor science provides precise data for determining the age of the earth. Next topic?
    I tried to demonstrate, by means of a hypothetical line of argument, how some atheist might think. That is, after all, the title of this thread.

Would someone else like to toss a topic into the arena?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 10:091 edit
    I tried to demonstrate, by means of a hypothetical line of argument, how some atheist might think. That is, after all, the title of this thread.

Would someone else like to toss a topic into the arena?
    Mine was a courtesy comment: when a given well's run dry, walk away. Might return to the OP... or Thread 157914
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 10:15

75 million years ago. Got that? Millions of years ago, even if the fossilization process took only minutes, it was MILLIONS of years ago. You ...[text shortened]... some cases it is disenchantment with the intellectual contortions required to embrace the dogma.
    I gave that link only because I did not want you to remain ignorant about how long it takes to make a fossil. Even most morons know there is no way to determine how long ago a bone was buried without someone being there when it happened, and they don't even claim man existed that many years ago.

I believe my link referred to a dinosaur bone from a T-Rex that still had flexible blood vessel tissue. That refers to a T-Rex dinosaur that they claimed had died 65 million years ago. Obviously, it is not 65 million years old regardless of what some evilutionist might claim.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 21:13
    ... morons know there is no way to determine how long ago a bone was buried without someone being there when it happened ... Obviously, it is not 65 million years old regardless of what some evilutionist might claim.
    Please adjust "Parental Controls" on your browser; your present settings are: "banners only" and "filter content."

PS Old Earth and evolution are independent theses; affirming that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago does not commit one to evolution.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 21:162 edits
    Mine was a courtesy comment: when a given well's run dry, walk away. Might return to the OP... or Thread 157914
    Courtesy noted and appreciated. I guess it is time to back off, before this discussion degenerates (further) into ad hominem polemic.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 22:031 edit
    Courtesy noted and appreciated. I guess it is time to back off, before this discussion degenerates (further) into ad hominem polemic.
    You're welcome. I've enjoyed getting to know you and your points of view.
    Please check out Thread 157914; it's about facets of human existence philosophically.
    Thanks.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 23:34
    Please adjust "Parental Controls" on your browser; your present settings are: "banners only" and "filter content."

PS Old Earth and evolution are independent theses; affirming that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago does not commit one to evolution.
    My browser settings should have no effect on your browsing.

Evilutionists require billions of years for their theory to have a chance of being credible. Therefore, they choose methods that gives the oldest ages possible for their findings.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree