1. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 11:241 edit
    As I am in the process of starting my own religion I really need devoted followers that will fullfill my every whim and not question any inconsistencies in my teachings. The problem is:

How do you create extreme fundies?

How do you create extreme fundies in a part of the world where such a thing as blind devotion to a single cause (my earthly enjoyment - or as I like to put it to my followers: the sacred promise of a worhty afterlife, devoid of all misery, through their actions here on earth) is frowned upon?
  2. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 11:302 edits
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    you begin by learning how to write without editing... huh?
    Always begin a sentence with a capital letter and end it with the proper punctuation. If you fail to do so, there's a very useful feature in this site called, simply: Edit. It will allow you to correct misspellings (if you're lucky enough to spot them) and it's there to be used. 🙂

Edit: Don't question me. Just do it.

Edit: As seen above and here, you can also use the Edit function to append content to your message. Very powerful stuff, this.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 11:34
    Originally posted by stocken
    As I am in the process of starting my own religion I really need devoted followers that will fullfill my every whim and not question any inconsistencies in my teachings. The problem is:

How do you create extreme fundies in a part of the world where such a thing as blind devotion to a single cause (my earthly enjoymen ...[text shortened]... a worhty afterlife, devoid of all misery, through their actions here on earth) is frowned upon?
    oooo oooo oooo, I'll do it!!! Sign me up immediately, exhaulted one!
  4. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 11:38
    You can't create an extreme fundie--they need to be grown. Sometimes they spring up as weeds, but most of the time they are very carefully pruned as they grow. I would suggest having children and sculpting them in the image you wanted, but if I did ever suggest such a thing I would have to kill the both of us.
  5. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 11:42
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    You can't create an extreme fundie--they need to be grown. Sometimes they spring up as weeds, but most of the time they are very carefully pruned as they grow. I would suggest having children and sculpting them in the image you wanted, but if I did ever suggest such a thing I would have to kill the both of us.
    Pssst, a secret. I'm actually kidding here, so don't worry.

Although, I really wonder what makes for an extremist fundamentalist. So, if anyone think they know the answer to this one, feel free to explain it to me. I will trust you blindly.
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 11:43
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    oooo oooo oooo, I'll do it!!! Sign me up immediately, exhaulted one!
    On second thought. I kinda liked that. Yeah. I'll really start a new religion. 😉

Scottishinnz, you shall be my Judas. Don't worry. He was actually a good man doing what needed to be done to fullfill the prophecy. 🙂
  7. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 11:48
    whAt are we to follow?
    My word, as it is spoken. Ignore inconsistencies and accept my truth. I'll let you know as we go along. Ok?
  8. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 11:54
    why would i want to follow you? what's your hidden x-factor?
    No, no, no!!! No questions. Accept my truth! Don't question me!! Ok!?

(As if my x-factor were in any way hidden.)

Or explain to me, how extremist fundamentalists are really created. Where do they come from? And I'm not speaking about peaceful, generally religious people practising their religion without harming others. I'm talking about those who can't accept the variety of spiritual beliefs (and lack thereof) and has to force their own beliefs (or lack thereof) on others without actually questioning their own worldview to see if they're unquestionably right in the first place. Where does people like that come from?
  9. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 12:02
    nothing gives me any urges to follow your way Stocken.

hmmmm... what do i get?

will i feel loved?
    Yes, yes. Love. Love and compassion. Lots of fun (albeit in a controlled manner). Sure. Sign here.
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 14:39
    Originally posted by stocken

How do you create extreme fundies in a part of the world where such a thing as blind devotion to a single cause (my earthly enjoymen ...[text shortened]... a worhty afterlife, devoid of all misery, through their actions here on earth) is frowned upon?
    Step 1: Tear the subject down. Remind them of their weakness, their imperfections.

Step 2: Promise absolution through strict adherence to your program (phrase this adherence with words like "path," "walk," "way," "race," or others that imply direction and purpose). Let the subject know that he/she has a great purpose that can only be attained through the absolution. This both feeds into their insecurity and creates a very useful "us vs. them" paradigm. Make sure your program holds out some intangible reward (e.g. space aliens returning to pick up the faithful, some sort of heaven, absolute enlightenment and perfection). Finally, allow for a sufficient amount of mystery and ambiguity in your doctrine. Remember, while followers are encouraged to read propaganda (I mean sacred scriptures.) only you can provide the best interpretation.

Step 3: Ask for contributions. The contributions can be pecuniary, sexual, or whatever else you desire. If unsuccessful, repeat step 1.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 14:41
    Originally posted by telerion
    Step 1: Step 2: Step 3:
    This sounds exactly like the program at a local (now possibly defunct)drug rehabilitation center famed for its "tough love" approach.
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 14:45
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    This sounds exactly like the program at a local (now possibly defunct)drug rehabilitation center famed for its "tough love" approach.
    Noupoort?
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 14:46
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Noupoort?
    Jawohl.
  14. Gangster Land
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 15:11
    I think if you want a fundy you need to have opposition. If you think about the fundies in the Christian religion (or any other religion/creed that has historically bred fundamentalism) I think you will notice that their major motivating factor is not love of their particular deity/creedo but hatred of their perceived opposition.

If you want fundies, I suggest you give your followers an enemy.

TheSkipper
  15. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 15:23
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    I think if you want a fundy you need to have opposition. If you think about the fundies in the Christian religion (or any other religion/creed that has historically bred fundamentalism) I think you will notice that their major motivating factor is not love of their particular deity/creedo but hatred of their perceived opposition.

If you want fundies, I suggest you give your followers an enemy.

TheSkipper
    Oooo, that's a good one. Very insightful of you. I think, to give my followers a common enemy falls under step 1 of Telerion's strategy. While tearing my subject apart spiritually I shall also provide them relief for their self-loathing (which is sure to come) by pointing at people even worse than them (be it true or more likely not).

Moaaa-ha-ha-haaaaaa...

I shall rule this world!!!