1. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 23:39
    Originally posted by convect
    Horrifying, isn't it? Just wait--keep at it. Every page will bring new horror to shock your moral sense. And the best part? People want this to be the sole foundation of the ethics of entire nations! Yikes!
    Finished Genesis now (I'm just reading a few pages a night when I am in hotels away from home) so it's on to Exodus next.

Brief impressions so far: What a load of rubbish! (I did say "brief"😉

--- Penguin.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 00:531 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Sorry to dissapoint you Robbie but...

He creates day and night at least 3 days before any sources of light. He has day and night but no mechanism for generating them until day 4.

1-6 implies to me that the entire universe was water before he separated water from sky. I'm not quite sure where the land was in all of this.

1-11 says he creates plants w s any record of actual events. I think it was written by committee.

--- Penguin.
    "So far, it strikes me that Genesis is a mismash of stories with no internal consistancy and certainly could not be treated as any record of actual events. I think it was written by committee."

Don't waste your time. Or mine.

You know about Jesus, right?

You know about how He died on the cross and was raised from the dead, right?

Until you believe in, and trust that Jesus died for your sins, you will never figure out what the Bible is all about. You'll get a historical and factual understanding, but unless you are saved and have the Holy Spirit indwelling, the deeper spiritual truths will never sink in.

The place to start is in your heart. Are you a sinner in need of a saviour?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 01:03
    Finished Genesis now (I'm just reading a few pages a night when I am in hotels away from home) so it's on to Exodus next.

--- Penguin.
    "What a load of rubbish!"

That's what I think of the gibberish I read in this forum posted by the faithless.

If you could only read the Bible from the perspective of believing that there just might be a God out there who loves you, reading the Bible would be a whole lot more rewarding.

But if you continue to harden your heart you will never hear His voice.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 01:03

--- Penguin.
    "What a load of rubbish!"

That's what I think of the gibberish I read in this forum posted by the faithless.

If you could only read the Bible from the perspective of believing that there just might be a God out there who loves you, reading the Bible would be a whole lot more rewarding.

But if you continue to harden your heart you will never hear His voice.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 02:151 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"So far, it strikes me that Genesis is a mismash of stories with no internal consistancy and certainly could not be treated as any record of actual events. I think it was written by committee."

Don't waste your time. Or mine.

You know about Jesus, right?

You know about how He died on the cross and was raised from the dead, right?

Until y ever sink in.

The place to start is in your heart. Are you a sinner in need of a saviour?[/b]
    Until you believe in, and trust that Jesus died for your sins, you will never figure out what the Bible is all about.

So until Penguin believes Jesus died for his sins he will not be able to figure out what the book of Genesis is about? Try making some sense next time, joseph.

unless you are saved and have the Holy Spirit indwelling, the deeper spiritual truths will never sink in.

Could you give some examples of these "deeper spiritual truths"? Suppose you had someone who is not "saved" but is honestly intellectually curious. According to you, this person cannot assimilate these deeper spritual truths. Why would your god prevent these truths from being absorbed by a sincere inquiring mind?
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 03:001 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]Until you believe in, and trust that Jesus died for your sins, you will never figure out what the Bible is all about.

So until Penguin believes Jesus died for his sins he will not be able to figure out what the book of Genesis is about? Try making some sense next time, joseph.

unless you are saved and have the Holy Spirit indwelling, the s. Why would your god prevent these truths from being absorbed by a sincere inquiring mind?
    "Why would your god prevent these truths from being absorbed by a sincere inquiring mind?"

Think about it for a moment. What is the purpose of salvation? Why does one need it? And what happens when one gets saved?

The purpose of salvation is to bring one into a right relationship with God.

We need salvation because we are separated from God by sin.

When one is saved one is given the Spirit of Christ.

Without the Spirit of God it is impossible to understand the things of the Spirit.

Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

I never said Genesis couldn't be understood intellectually. I said the Spiritual truths of the Bible cannot be understood except one has the Spirit of God.

I think that in your haste to find fault with the things I say you reveal that you not only skim over my words without consideration for why I said them, that is, you're not reading the post to which I am replying, but you also demonstrate your own intellectual dishonesty.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 04:291 edit
    [b]"Why would your god prevent these truths from being absorbed by a sincere inquiring mind?"

Think about it for a moment. What is the purpose of salvation? Why does one need it? And what happens when one gets saved?

The purpose of salvation is to bring one into a right relationship with God.

We need salvation because we are separated from God b the post to which I am replying, but you also demonstrate your own intellectual dishonesty.[/b]
    How does any of that answer my questions?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 09:13
    [b]"What a load of rubbish!"

But if you continue to harden your heart you will never hear His voice.[/b]
    there are faithful people who still believe genesis is a load of rubbish.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 09:19
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    How does any of that answer my questions?
    he says that to understand the truth of the bible you need special bible reading glasses. kind of like the 3d glasses in cinemas. the problem is these glasses are only issued and can only be used by someone who is saved.

funny, is it not? the bible can only be understood by the saved, but you are not considered saved until you let go of any prospect of free thought and believe what the pastors are telling you. so if you claim to have found a meaning the pastors do not agree with, you are clearly not saved and satan is speaking through you.

joseph, read about the pharisees, you might find kindred spirits.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 09:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Please expand on that. Are you saying God shone light on the earth during the first 3 'days' and did not during the first three 'nights' but did not use the sun to do so?
    Or did he shine it in a continuously rotating fashion as the sun does now?
    Which part of the earth is being referenced when a 'day' is talked about? Daytime in one hemisphere is night time in another.
    A day isn't called a day because light shines upon it, but how the
    earth rotates.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 09:40
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    so basically he made a rule one day and saw that it was good but then changed it and saw that it was good. kinda illogical don't you think? also do you mean to say that he personally shined light on all the plants before he invented the sun? and then told the plants to get their light from the sun and stop bothering him?

i think you hold god to be a bit stupid.
    I'm saying God created light before He created stars. Stars are sources
    of light, but even now not the only ones, why do you find that so hard
    to grasp?
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 09:45
    Sorry to dissapoint you Robbie but...

He creates day and night at least 3 days before any sources of light. He has day and night but no mechanism for generating them until day 4.

1-6 implies to me that the entire universe was water before he separated water from sky. I'm not quite sure where the land was in all of this.

1-11 says he creates plants w ...[text shortened]... s any record of actual events. I think it was written by committee.

--- Penguin.
    I'd prefer hitting one topic at a time, which one or where would you
    like to begin?
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 10:11
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    A day isn't called a day because light shines upon it, but how the
    earth rotates.
    Kelly
    yes but like twhite said, there was no sun to shine light on it. so there was no real day for the first three days. so god took responsibility personally for the light of the three days.

can you picture it? to be day and night, the light (the one that god was talking about when he said "let there be light"😉 must be coming from one direction. so god must have sat outside earth with a flashlight for tree days( or put the flashlight in some fixed point). and after three days, god decided that the flashlight must be replaced with something more durable (the sun). or maybe the flashlight was just a temporary solution until the sun design is ready.

isn't it more reasonable to assume that since the ancient people didn't knew that light comes from the sun, that plants need the sun to survive, they invented this order of creation as they saw fit? why find absurd explanations to patch a dysfunctional theory when you would be better off replacing it?
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 10:11
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I'm saying God created light before He created stars. Stars are sources
    of light, but even now not the only ones, why do you find that so hard
    to grasp?
    Kelly
    what other viable sources of light do you know?
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 10:12
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yes but like twhite said, there was no sun to shine light on it. so there was no real day for the first three days. so god took responsibility personally for the light of the three days.

can you picture it? to be day and night, the light (the one that god was talking about when he said "let there be light"😉 must be coming from one direction. so god must ...[text shortened]... surd explanations to patch a dysfunctional theory when you would be better off replacing it?
    24 hour rotation of the earth, again it does not have anything to do
    with day light.
    kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree