Moves
    11 Nov '08 08:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I tell you what I'll discuss any scripture with you if you quote it in
    context. We can than discuss the value of the text and the meaning
    behind it. Speaking about something in scripture without giving the
    context and background at times and so forth can lead to some
    strange ideas about somethings that in context may or may not be
    that bad. Otherwise i ...[text shortened]... tion so if you cannot put it into context you can apply
    any meaning you want to them.
    Kelly
    there are some things that you don't need the context from which they came.

"woman stoned to death"
    what context do you need? did she killed 1000 babies? did she messed around with another man other than her husband? who cares? we have the notion that if we must sentence another human being to death, at least do it in a humane manner. the nurnberg nazis were not stoned to death, they were merely hung.

i am not blaming the jews. hey there were more barbaric acts than that throughout history. ignorance, animalism, etc. but to say that god told them to bludgeon a woman with stones, to mash her bones until death, that is maybe the numero 1 argument of going atheist.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 08:39
    Yea, I understand God could have done anything, you have a plan of
    action God wouild have had to work from because you know the power
    and scope of God? It is limited to the things that are written as far as
    we know. There are boundaries given in creation that I'm quite sure
    the people of the day wouldn't have known why or how they were kept
    but modern science does, like life having children after their own kinds.
    Kelly
    it isn't enough for me or for any human having thoughts. if i design a computer program (let's say for the sake of the argument that it takes me 7 days) expect to get payed. now what will the client say when he sees on the bill "unknown, unneeded light source, replaced at a later stage....100$"?
    and still that would be acceptable because maybe i was going in a wrong direction and found improvements. (although most programmers don't bill the clients for trial and error).

but we are talking god here. a being that could have made the sun first, when he created the light. yes, there was light before the sun. but it was no sun before the earth. there was no sun before the plants.

your whole argument supporting the story of creation is God told us so in the bible. but who created the bible? was it inspired by god? if it was, was god supposed to teach us astrophysics and teach us to count to 15 billion in a time where people only knew to count as far as how many sheep they had.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 11:53
    With respect to how far away stars are, tell me when God created the
    stars did he do it in such away that man could see them as soon as
    God made them?
    Kelly
    I don't understand the question.

The stars we think we see now are mostly so far away that the light takes millions of years to get from some of them to us. So either they existed millions of years ago, or they are mere illusion. They may actually exist where they appear to exist, but there is no way within known physics that any of the evidence we have for the stars existence could be taken as valid unless the universe is million of years old.
    If you think the universe is less than 1 million years old, you should reasonably also accept that there is no evidence that stars exist, and that the light we think comes from stars is in fact some other as yet unknown phenomena.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 17:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't understand the question.

The stars we think we see now are mostly so far away that the light takes millions of years to get from some of them to us. So either they existed millions of years ago, or they are mere illusion. They may actually exist where they appear to exist, but there is no way within known physics that any of the evidence we hav ...[text shortened]... t, and that the light we think comes from stars is in fact some other as yet unknown phenomena.
    It is a simple question, we are looking at the text of scripture, when
    God made the stars could Adam see them when he looked up?
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 17:34
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    there are some things that you don't need the context from which they came.

"woman stoned to death"
    what context do you need? did she killed 1000 babies? did she messed around with another man other than her husband? who cares? we have the notion that if we must sentence another human being to death, at least do it in a humane manner. the nurnberg nazis ...[text shortened]... stones, to mash her bones until death, that is maybe the numero 1 argument of going atheist.
    Yea I do need the context, if you are unwilling to give it we will just
    not have a conversation about any text.
    Kelly
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '08 10:45
    Yea I do need the context, if you are unwilling to give it we will just
    not have a conversation about any text.
    Kelly
    perhaps you need the context from which "Jews must die" was taken from mein kampf too to make a judgement if jews must or must not die.

sometimes you dont need a context, but if you like, get any passage from deuteronomy or leviticus and let's discuss the reasons god inspired said laws.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree