😀
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 11:582 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No its Russian for Mr.
    Okay, i'll take your word for it. I was in Germany about 30 something years ago and i thought I remembered a word like that in German. My mistake. Hess also reminds me of a German. Maybe, Rudolf Hess.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 12:01

Is the theory of evolution falsifiable?
    Yes, of course.

Here's a brief discussion on the topic:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objections_to_evolution#Unfalsifiability
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 12:31
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Okay, i'll take your word for it. I was in Germany about 30 something years ago and i thought I remembered a word like that in German. My mistake. Hess also reminds me of a German. Maybe, Rudolf Hess.
    You're thinking of the word meister, and no, I'm not from Germany. You seriously can't see the play on words in my username, for a chess site? Chess? C Hess? Seriously? I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, given your posting history. 🙄
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 12:36
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yes, of course.

Here's a brief discussion on the topic:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objections_to_evolution#Unfalsifiability
    Here is one that is more to the point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 14:49
    Yes, the way i view it is in terms of a chess variation. We may have two or three plausible moves. We can subject them to analysis and by applying logic discern which may be beneficial or detrimental. If one of the variations leads to us suffering detriment then in Popperian terms we have falsified our theory and we are free to treat our other var ...[text shortened]... , not because they are true or untrue but because there is no real way to test them empirically.
    "The problem that I seem to have with evolution is that it is treated very much like Freud's or Adler's theories in that it seeks to be an explanation for all kinds of phenomena."

Are you certain that is THE problem you seem to have with evolution?

Don't you have another bigger problem with it?
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 14:511 edit
    Here is one that is more to the point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
    deleted
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 15:141 edit
    “I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again 'I know that that’s a tree', pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: 'This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.’”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty

Just a few rough thoughts—

Falsificationism replaces verificationism, in part because of the “black swan” problem (which Popper recognized). Therefore, empirical observations—no matter how many in agreement—are not taken to verify the hypothesis in question (since it would only take one new observation to refute/defeat/falsify it) but as having failed to falsify it to a sufficient degree of probability. Of course this means that scientific inquiry (like any inductive/abductive logic)* cannot provide “certain proof”, but always remains somewhat open to further inquiry, no matter how vanishingly small the probability of error becomes. This is why a theory must rest on a body of repeated observation and testing—repeated challenging of the theory. (And this is also why a scientific theory is not “just a theory”, like “just my opinion” or “just a hypothesis”.)

Meanwhile, however, we have enough confidence to send space probes to far reaches of the solar system, to microwave our sandwiches, to use GPS to navigate our roads trips, to take medications when ill—etc., etc., etc.. [For example, my wife had a heart attack last year. She is permanently on a diet tested by medical science—not philosophy or religion. And yet, human diets are still being tested; there is no certainty.]

People sometimes use the word verify, in part, I think because the language of falsification (or disconfirmation) is just a bit more cumbersome. Nevertheless, I recall my first econometrics professor reminding us almost daily that we never prove (verify) the null hypothesis, but only fail to disprove (fail to verify/confirm) it to an acceptable level of confidence (as I recall—so many years since I did any of that!—0.90 was considered fairly low, though minimally acceptable, all things considered). And if anyone failed to heed his words—fail (the project, not the course: if remediation was made—the project re-submitted with correction— and the mistake not repeated).

So, if a hypothesis is in principle falsifiable—even if, perhaps, no plausible test has yet been designed—it is in the realm of valid empirical (scientific) inquiry. If not, then not. (Assuming, obviously, that the hypothesis is formulated in a coherent way.)* I cannot imagine in what way evolution would not be falsifiable.

* I think this is the logical conundrum: deductive logic, of itself, tests only coherency (validity), not empirical truth—one can be certain of the result (e.g., if p, then q:p:therefore q) only by reference to empirical reality. Inductive/abductive logic draw conclusions from observations, but can never be sealed with certainty.

“I act with complete certainty. But this certainty is my own.”

“What stands fast does so, not because it is intrinsically obvious or convincing; it is rather held fast by what lies around it.”

“Where two principles really do meet which cannot be reconciled with one another, then each man declares the other a fool and a heretic”

10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 21:22
    Originally posted by C Hess
    You're thinking of the word meister, and no, I'm not from Germany. You seriously can't see the play on words in my username, for a chess site? Chess? C Hess? Seriously? I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, given your posting history. 🙄
    I don't try to conceal my identity with word play.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 21:54
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I cannot imagine in what way evolution would not be falsifiable.
    I can. One can not test and observe something that might have happen millions of years ago when there is not even solid proof that there were millions of years ago. So if those conjectures of what might have happened millions of years ago can't be tested or observed, then how could it be falsified, since it is just a belief?

So the hypothesis that all the life forms evolved from a common ancestor that came from nothing can't be proven by testing or observation any more than the hypothesis that all life froms were made by God from created elements, so that these life forms reproduce only after there own kind, because they are both beliefs.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 22:531 edit
    I can. One can not test and observe something that might have happen millions of years ago when there is not even solid proof that there were millions of years ago. So if those conjectures of what might have happened millions of years ago can't be tested or observed, then how could it be falsified, since it is just a belief?

So the hypothesis that all t ...[text shortened]... ts, so that these life forms reproduce only after there own kind, because they are both beliefs.
    So one cannot observe evidence of past events, such as geological sedimentation—or, statements on today’s news about what happened last Thursday—and test that against various competing claims?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jun '15 01:221 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    So one cannot observe evidence of past events, such as geological sedimentation—or, statements on today’s news about what happened last Thursday—and test that against various competing claims?
    One can observe evidence of geological sedimentation, but it is only conjecture and speculation to state when it happened if there was no one to observe it. The closer in the past an event occurred the more likely one is to determine when it happened, if no one was actually there to observe the event. 😏

Geo-Blunder: No "Millions of Years"!

YouTube
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 02:301 edit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztmvtKLuR7I&feature=youtu.be

Is the theory of evolution falsifiable?
    Evolution can positively be falsified. Show me a 400 million year old parakeet fossil and evolution goes out the window. So far that hasn't happened. Till then, evolution is true and it doesn't matter how many YEC idiots say otherwise, they are marginalized, and getting more and more in the margins and fringes of society. Where they belong. Each century that goes by there are less and less of them. A few hundred more years and there will be no more YEC's so have fun while you still exist.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 09:052 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Evolution can positively be falsified. Show me a 400 million year old parakeet fossil and evolution goes out the window. So far that hasn't happened. Till then, evolution is true and it doesn't matter how many YEC idiots say otherwise, they are marginalized, and getting more and more in the margins and fringes of society. Where they belong. Each century tha ...[text shortened]... hem. A few hundred more years and there will be no more YEC's so have fun while you still exist.
    I agree that evolution has been falsified, but not by a 400 million year old parakeet. That is ridiculous since it can't be proven that the earth existed even a million years ago. Don't you remember the Piltdown man fraud and all the other ape-man frauds. Remember the ape-man and his family that was concocted from a pigs tooth?

It has also been shown that strada, stalagmite, coal, fossils, and rocks don't take millions or thousands of years to form, but can form much quicker.

I could go on and on, but you are too stubborn to accept the truth. You are blinded by your worldview and ignorance. That is why evolution can't be falsified to the average evolutionist, like you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree