1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 03:07
    I'm in a hunting culture here. Lots to say on that subject, but here is about meat. I think I need some when healing or growing. Maintenance, the vegs etc, fine I guess. Love and respect what provides for you. And let the kids and wounded have meat. This is not trivial.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '16 01:22
    Originally posted by apathist
    I'm in a hunting culture here. Lots to say on that subject, but here is about meat. I think I need some when healing or growing. Maintenance, the vegs etc, fine I guess. Love and respect what provides for you. And let the kids and wounded have meat. This is not trivial.
    Just to be clear, felines and some other animals are obligate carnivores but humans are not. So we omnivores should at least be willing to admit that eating animals is a matter of preference in almost all situations. We don't need meat when healing or growing.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '16 01:33
    Evidently there are some things in meat the body needs. Then again I don't think you need much. Perhaps if you are rich enough you could supplement.

Most people should probably have some meat each month anyhow. Perhaps a hard boiled egg every once in a while would do the trick.

In the West meat eaters eat too much meat. We also consume too many empty calories.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Nov '16 14:441 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Just to be clear, felines and some other animals are obligate carnivores but humans are not. So we omnivores should at least be willing to admit that eating animals is a matter of preference in almost all situations. We don't need meat when healing or growing.
    I guess your last sentence is right, but there is more than just preference involved. Raising a child to be vegan, for example, is difficult and problematic enough that some vegan parents have been sent to prison for child abuse.

To restate, when healing or growing, meat is the most efficient source of some stuff you need.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Nov '16 14:51
    Originally posted by Eladar...
    In the West meat eaters eat too much meat. We also consume too many empty calories.
    I have an active job and I'm realizing that meat in my belly slows me down, hence this thread. I find myself bypassing meat as I look for something to eat. This is new for me. Pb&j seems a better option, I gotta keep on moving.

What, um, are empty calories? Starch? I'm clueless.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '16 15:221 edit
    I have an active job and I'm realizing that meat in my belly slows me down, hence this thread. I find myself bypassing meat as I look for something to eat. This is new for me. Pb&j seems a better option, I gotta keep on moving.

What, um, are empty calories? Starch? I'm clueless.
    Empty calories are things with fat and sugar but have really no nutritional value.

Soda pop, chips, popcorn and such.

For vegitarians beans and rice make a complete protien.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Nov '16 19:43
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Empty calories are things with fat and sugar but have really no nutritional value.

Soda pop, chips, popcorn and such.

For vegitarians beans and rice make a complete protien.
    What do you make of the Bible's advice regarding health and nutrition:

- drink some wine
    - eat anything
    - exercise is a waste of time
    - prayers of the righteous are the greatest source of healing
    - what goes into a man does not defile him.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '16 19:56
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    What do you make of the Bible's advice regarding health and nutrition:

- drink some wine
    - eat anything
    - exercise is a waste of time
    - prayers of the righteous are the greatest source of healing
    - what goes into a man does not defile him.
    Raised Lutheran so no problem with wine.

Not sure of any food I have a problem with other than taste or societal norms.

Exercise a waste of time? You mean like running the race?

I have no opinion on exercise other than the fact I need to do some to help my back.

I have no problem with prayer. I have nopeoblem with prayer and laying on of hands.

Of course food will not make you unclean.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Nov '16 20:04
    Raised Lutheran so no problem with wine.

Not sure of any food I have a problem with other than taste or societal norms.

Exercise a waste of time? You mean like running the race?

I have no opinion on exercise other than the fact I need to do some to help my back.

I have no problem with prayer. I have nopeoblem with prayer and laying on of hands.

Of course food will not make you unclean.
    Ok but the exercise thing is stated here:

1Ti_4:8  For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

Basically Paul is saying that you are better off focusing on godliness than on exercise and other matters pertaining to health.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '16 20:59
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Ok but the exercise thing is stated here:

1Ti_4:8  For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

Basically Paul is saying that you are better off focusing on godliness than on exercise and other matters pertaining to health.
    I would imagine that was very true back when you walked everywhere. I doubt that Paul would have considered walking exercise.

In any case after we die, and we will all die, exercise means nothing.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Nov '16 21:07
    To restate, when healing or growing, meat is the most efficient source of some stuff you need.
    If by 'efficient' you mean 'don't have to think about it', then you are correct. However, it is far from being the only source of stuff you need. It is true that vegetarians must be careful to get a balanced diet.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Nov '16 23:58
    My boy just told me he wants to be vegetarian.

I had been buying meat for us but since he said that... well I'm more than happy to remain vegetarian.
    I really didn't want to enforce that on him.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 Nov '16 08:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If by 'efficient' you mean 'don't have to think about it', then you are correct. However, it is far from being the only source of stuff you need. It is true that vegetarians must be careful to get a balanced diet.
    What is a good source of reliable information about this, especially considering the importance of proper nutrition for the healing and the growing?
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 Nov '16 08:42
    I'm disgusted and ashamed by the bloodbath humans engage in, but that never got between me and a meal. Or maybe it has.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 Nov '16 08:52
    I would imagine that was very true back when you walked everywhere. I doubt that Paul would have considered walking exercise.

In any case after we die, and we will all die, exercise means nothing.
    I love your first two sentences. Very wise analysis.

The final sentence disturbs me though. The state of afterlife, if any such exists, does not depend on how we conduct?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree