1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 12:19
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Show me where I'm wrong.
    You're claim that 'someone' (a palaeontologist to give them their full title) is merely going round 'putting a few fossils together' is startling. The uneducated contempt on display from you for someone's profession is laughable.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 12:25
    Originally posted by @proper-knob to KellyJay
    You're claim that 'someone' (a palaeontologist to give them their full title) is merely going round 'putting a few fossils together' is startling. The uneducated contempt on display from you for someone's profession is laughable.
    Does KellyJay still talk to you?
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 13:09
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Does KellyJay still talk to you?
    Direct comms to KellyJay still work for me.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 16:32
    Originally posted by @proper-knob
    Direct comms to KellyJay still work for me.
    There's a list of people he's shunning because of disagreements in discussions. You have made him look more foolish, more often, than I ever did. And yet he still talks to you. Strange
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 16:40
    Really you think that there is some put together by the numbers diagram that they go by so everyone knows that they did it properly?
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 18:27
    Really you think that there is some put together by the numbers diagram that they go by so everyone knows that they did it properly?
    Not exactly, bur not far off. All tetrapods for example have the same basic skeletal structure - skull, spine, four limbs, pelvis. Its the same blueprint and has been for hundreds of millions of years.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 19:152 edits
    Originally posted by @rbhill
    Even though it's a replica of the ark. They get to see what it might've been like. Just like going to Jerusalem and Israel and walking around in a tour that's tangible evidence and that will help peoples faith a lot.
    It is not like walking around Jerusalem at all. We know that Jerusalem existed independently of the Bible. There is no evidence of a worldwide flood or of Noah's ark.

That we can build a model of an ark is not evidence that there really was an ark to build a replica of, or a flood for that matter. It is nothing but a modern construction, a fabrication, based on a myth. One could just as well build a modern Trojan horse; that would not be evidence that there really was a Trojan war, as described in Homer.

Evidence of a Trojan war would be, for example, uncovering archeological ruins in the vicinity of the coast of modern Turkey, dating to roughly the period in question, with traces of devastation (e.g., fire or other plausibly war-like effects).
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 19:45
    How do we know what dinosaurs look like, someone puts together a few fossils, tells an
    artist what they think they would look like, and he draws a picture, makes movie and now
    everyone knows *they seen the pictures* what a dinosaur looks like.

We also know *we saw the picture* what the ate, how they acted, blaa blaa blas.
    We do not know what dinosaurs looked like in detail, but we do know that dinosaurs existed, from the fossil record. We do not know that a worldwide flood occurred or that all land mammals which exist today were on board an ark which rescued them from such a flood. There is no evidence of such a worldwide catastrophe, and the story of all land mammals being rescued on an ark is simply impossible, for any number of obvious reasons. The carnivores would have devoured the herbivores within weeks of debarkation, for example. And no, lions were NOT herbivores before this imaginary flood; lions'guts cannot digest grass. There would not have been enough grass growing by the time the flood waters receded to feed the herbivores anyway. WHERE did flood waters recede TO? There isn't any plug hole at the bottom of the ocean. ...
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 20:06
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    We do not know what dinosaurs looked like in detail, but we do know that dinosaurs existed, from the fossil record. We do not know that a worldwide flood occurred or that all land mammals which exist today were on board an ark which rescued them from such a flood. There is no evidence of such a worldwide catastrophe, and the story of all land mammals being ...[text shortened]... way. WHERE did flood waters recede TO? There isn't any plug hole at the bottom of the ocean. ...
    What if there was one continent before the flood and seven after?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 22:33
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Yeah, the Bill Nye + the guy in the glasses video. The guy in the glasses, so utterly convinced that he had a gotcha! question, ignored the obvious and point blank answer he was getting, and just asked the rather simple minded question over and over and over and over again regardless. I wonder if the guy in the glasses ever watches that video and tells himself that he acquits himself well in it.
    i'm sure he does.
    And Bill Nye sounds like he'll never be happy
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 23:49
    Not exactly, bur not far off. All tetrapods for example have the same basic skeletal structure - skull, spine, four limbs, pelvis. Its the same blueprint and has been for hundreds of millions of years.
    Yes my point, if we get a perfectly completely intact fossil great, if we get a pile, or onecy twocy than best guess/theory. Cannot really go wrong since no one living has seen one to dispute with authority. Even intact ones only gives us the structure not what it really looked like.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 07:24
    Yes my point, if we get a perfectly completely intact fossil great, if we get a pile, or onecy twocy than best guess/theory. Cannot really go wrong since no one living has seen one to dispute with authority. Even intact ones only gives us the structure not what it really looked like.
    Has anyone ever reconstructed a whole dinosaur from one or two bones?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 07:34
    Cannot really go wrong since no one living today has seen one to dispute with authority.
    Good. Then we can dismiss Noah's Ark, Adam and Eve, and other biblical stories. Hell, we can even dismiss Jesus, because he is long gone.

On the other hand, if we see fossils of dinosaurs, and these gives the experts information about them - then we're talking.

But if you don't care, and just not are interested, then you will never learn, ever.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 10:44
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    We do not know what dinosaurs looked like in detail, but we do know that dinosaurs existed, from the fossil record. We do not know that a worldwide flood occurred or that all land mammals which exist today were on board an ark which rescued them from such a flood. There is no evidence of such a worldwide catastrophe, and the story of all land mammals being ...[text shortened]... way. WHERE did flood waters recede TO? There isn't any plug hole at the bottom of the ocean. ...
    I don't think any but a small few doubt dinosaurs were real. With respect the world wide
    flood could have created the fossil record, and where we seem some fossils upon
    mountains could also be a clue. The fact that many cultures share flood stories though
    vary could also point to a shared experience that has changed over time from mouth to
    mouth.

You can look at the flood as a God event that would leave a mark on the world behind it,
    so if you do that, then something like food or other concerns would have to also be
    acknowledged that God would see to the details. Mana from heaven to feed the Jews in
    the desert would never show up in any record except in written history, or mouth to
    mouth historical accounts. Could mana be proven true, I do not think so, but it does not
    mean it didn't happen as the people who experience shared it.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 10:47
    Has anyone ever reconstructed a whole dinosaur from one or two bones?
    I know I have heard of some, but let me research that, its vague in my memory.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree