1. Joined
    07 Feb '18
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 14:171 edit
    Physics Class 3:9

The Professor asked us students to define physics...

Half the students get up from the class and run to the dean's office. demanding a new professor because clearly our professor knows nothing about physics - for crying out loud they asked us, the students, a question!!!

Now, being perfectly objective about this professor, one must realise the professor knew nothing about physics, right?

The ball is in your court, bigdogg.

😉

P.S. If anyone fails to the see the sarcasm/satire go to bigdogg's post about God not being omniscient.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 01:12
    Why a physics teacher?
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 02:17
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Why a physics teacher?
    The wheel spun and landed on that one, obviously. 🙂
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '18
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 03:55
    My undergrad was in physics - just a personal association. 🙂
  5. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 04:24
    Originally posted by @alphazero
    My undergrad was in physics - just a personal association. 🙂
    If God is as described in the bible, it must be assumed that His questions are rhetorical in nature.
  6. Joined
    07 Feb '18
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 04:40
    Agree 100%.

My simple point was that the asking of a question does not mean we don't know the answer. Which is what you are saying.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 11:53
    Originally posted by @alphazero

My simple point ...
    Agree 100%
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 12:40
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    If God is as described in the bible, it must be assumed that His questions are rhetorical in nature.
    Why?
  9. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 14:35
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Why?
    Seriously?

Because God as described in the bible already knows the answers to any questions He would (rhetorically) ask.
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 15:20
    Seriously?

Because God as described in the bible [b]already knows
    the answers to any questions He would (rhetorically) ask.[/b]
    Out of curiosity then, why did God say to Abraham "now I know you fear God." Why wasn't he already aware of that before asking him to sacrifice his son? What was the point of that 'test'? (And as an aside, why is it important to God that people fear Him and love Him above all else, to such an extreme length? )

P.S I'm aware of the 'usual' answers to these questions.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 17:44
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Out of curiosity then, why did God say to Abraham "now I know you fear God." Why wasn't he already aware of that before asking him to sacrifice his son? What was the point of that 'test'? (And as an aside, why is it important to God that people fear Him and love Him above all else, to such an extreme length? )

P.S I'm aware of the 'usual' answers to these questions.
    Psalm 19:9a
    The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever:

"Why wasn't he already aware of that before asking him to sacrifice his son?"

He was. What you're failing to see is the meaning of the entire narrative.

Galatians 3:8
    And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

The event of Abraham sacrificing his son was God showing Abraham a "type" of His own son's sacrifice. The story is heart wrenching if one understands what Abraham went through, as well as what God went through when He gave His Son.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 02:07
    Seriously?

Because God as described in the bible [b]already knows
    the answers to any questions He would (rhetorically) ask.[/b]
    But I am contesting that very claim. Your response is "begging the question".
  13. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 02:341 edit
    But I am contesting that very claim. Your response is "begging the question".
    I could inundate you with verses from the bible that declare God's omniscience but I'll give you enough credit to assume you already know the bible says it. That leaves your dispute to mean you contest the truth of the bible itself. If that's the case, then let's have a beer and talk about football, because an RHP forum discussion isn't going to fix that.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 12:47
    I could inundate you with verses from the bible that declare God's omniscience but I'll give you enough credit to assume you already know the bible says it. That leaves your dispute to mean you contest the truth of the bible itself. If that's the case, then let's have a beer and talk about football, because an RHP forum discussion isn't going to fix that.
    There are verses which indicate a great power to foresee the future, and predict human behavior. Impressive though those insights may be, they do not get us all the way to Omniscience. That is a huge claim. Worse, in the Bible, there are hints here and there that maybe God did not know about certain things, but those are cavalierly dismissed by believers.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 14:261 edit
    There are verses which indicate a great power to foresee the future, and predict human behavior. Impressive though those insights may be, they do not get us all the way to Omniscience. That is a huge claim. Worse, in the Bible, there are hints here and there that maybe God did not know about certain things, but those are cavalierly dismissed by believers.
    It's a pride thing. "My God is better than your God"

Next thing you know they've painted themselves into an incoherent theological corner be it omniscience, omnipotence, omnibenevolence or any combination thereof.

Of course none of them have the humility to admit it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree