1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 11:502 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Thank you for that link Palynka.

I see that the argument relies heavily on using a definition of free-will which is kinda counter-intuitive and therefore, to my mind, cheating.

I was however interested in

"This is countered by the realization that a free-willed God is not constrained to realize everything, nor to consider all choices to be of equ n occupy His time with making new galaxies and making sub-atomic physics ever more perplexing.
    It is not at all cheating.

It only separates predictability from free-will. To me these are not the same, nor should they intuitively be.

For example, I approach a bus driver and offer him two thousand dollars or a used Britney Spears record. That I know he would pick the first does not mean he didn't have the freedom to pick the latter. The same argument applies for an omniscient god. Since such a being would know my preferences, mood, thought process, etc (infinitely much more than I know about the bus driver) he would be able to predict with certainty what choices I make, despite me having the freedom to choose differently.

The other notion you find interesting (considering we're both atheists!) is not the one shared by the majority of believers of Abrahamic religions, so...why go there?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 11:50
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]==========================
    Jaywill - I'm not looking for the "Truth" as you put it. That would be futile.
    ==============================

Okay. But how do you know it would be futile ?

=====================================
    I am interested in religion from an academic perspective.
    ================================

Oka ...[text shortened]... at them.

Thanks again.
    =============================[/b]

Why are you curious ?[/b]
    Jaywill - with the best intentions I dont intend getting into a debate. But here are the answers to your questions. They are MY answers. Please respect them.

1. If one found the "Truth" how would one know? Perhaps someone has found the elusive "Truth" but neither they nor anyone else will ever know that they have!

2. I have no problem in studying a restaurant's menu and not eating there.

3. i dont want to convrert you.

4. You are thinking of coining a new word - "Evangelphobic" .. good 4 u

5. I am curious in all things; science, natural history, geography - the season has made me look at religion.

😀

END OF INTERROGATION
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 11:53
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It is not at all cheating.

It only separates predictability from free-will. To me these are not the same, nor should they intuitively be.

For example, I approach a bus driver and offer him two thousand dollars or a used Britney Spears record. That I know he would pick the first does not mean he didn't have the freedom to pick the latter. The same argu ...[text shortened]... is not the one shared by the majority of believers of Abrahamic religions, so...why go there?
    How is the bus-driver to spend the $2,000. Predict that. Does he have free-will?
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 11:541 edit
    How is the bus-driver to spend the $2,000. Predict that. Does he have free-will?
    I thought you wanted to discuss things respectfully, but it seems you aren't really reading.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 12:083 edits
    Jaywill - with the best intentions I dont intend getting into a debate. But here are the answers to your questions. They are MY answers. Please respect them.

1. If one found the "Truth" how would one know? Perhaps someone has found the elusive "Truth" but neither they nor anyone else will ever know that they have!

2. I have no problem in studying a story, geography - the season has made me look at religion.

😀

END OF INTERROGATION
    ===========================
    I dont intend getting into a debate.
    ===============================

Wolfgang, I respect your desire to not want to get into a debate.
    But I notice that you do want to collect answers to questions which you then make assertions about.

This is also a kind of preaching. To not expect "debate" in return to your assertions is like simply expecting your audience to say "Amen".

Your posture is "I am JUST here to ask a few questions as an atheist. Please do not debate me."

Okay, but I'll be watching if there is a challenging tone to the assertions you then make. This is kind of a one way debate Wolfgang. Or it indicates you only wish to speak with those who agree with you.

I wish you all the best in your searching.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 12:15
    Wolfgang,

Like this -

==================================
    If everything is planned that surely means no free-will. It also means God has no decisiions to make since He did all his planning before hand. Just doesnt stack-up.
    =======================================

Assertion #1 - BUT NO DEBATE ALLOWED

Just say "Whatever you say Wolfgang".
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 13:20
    [b]===========================
    I dont intend getting into a debate.
    ===============================

Wolfgang, I respect your desire to not want to get into a debate.
    But I notice that you do want to collect answers to questions which you then make assertions about.

This is also a kind of preaching. To not expect "debate ...[text shortened]... sh to speak with those who agree with you.

I wish you all the best in your searching.[/b]
    I manifestly DO NOT want to talk to people who agree with me. My question was aimed at believers of any faith. I am curious because I am an atheist.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 13:21
    I thought you wanted to discuss things respectfully, but it seems you aren't really reading.
    Didnt mean to be disrespectful merely continuing your own analogy.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 13:311 edit
    I manifestly DO NOT want to talk to people who agree with me. My question was aimed at believers of any faith. I am curious because I am an atheist.
    This statement you made sounds more like an agnostic then an atheist:

" Perhaps someone has found the elusive "Truth" but neither they nor anyone else will ever know that they have! "
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 13:45
    This statement you made sounds more like an agnostic then an atheist:

[b]" Perhaps someone has found the elusive "Truth" but neither they nor anyone else will ever know that they have! "
    [/b]
    I guess I am both.

As an agnostic; I agree with the statement, "I cannot know whether a deity exists or not, and neither can you."

As an atheist; I do not believe in the existence of any such deity.

Unlike you I have no problem in admitting I may be wrong.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 13:56
    Didnt mean to be disrespectful merely continuing your own analogy.
    My analogy was meaningful only in the sense that predictability and free will are not the same. There is no relevance whatsoever to discuss whether I can predict how he would spend the 2K.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 14:042 edits
    I guess I am both.

As an agnostic; I agree with the statement, "I cannot know whether a deity exists or not, and neither can you."

As an atheist; I do not believe in the existence of any such deity.

=========================
    ==============================

I've been wrong plenty of times.

I also have no problem telling posters that a question that they asked was too difficult to answer.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 14:24
    My analogy was meaningful only in the sense that predictability and free will are not the same. There is no relevance whatsoever to discuss whether I can predict how he would spend the 2K.
    But your ability to predict he will take the 2K is relevant?

Cake.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 14:31
    But your ability to predict he will take the 2K is relevant?

Cake.
    I gave you much more credit than you deserve.

Have fun.
  15. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 16:24
    Thank you for that link Palynka.

I see that the argument relies heavily on using a definition of free-will which is kinda counter-intuitive and therefore, to my mind, cheating.

I was however interested in

"This is countered by the realization that a free-willed God is not constrained to realize everything, nor to consider all choices to be of equ ...[text shortened]... n occupy His time with making new galaxies and making sub-atomic physics ever more perplexing.
    wolfgang59,

I don't think it is cheating either. Intuition is only useful up to a point. When you start to look at the alternatives to compatibilist free will, for example the various flavours of libertarian free will, close scrutiny reveals that compatibilist free will is the least incoherent option.

To answer your question 2, if you take the OOO god as a premise, then it follows that whatever evils we observe, like the crucifixion, are necessary part of god's design. That is to say, the best of all possible worlds has the possibility of evil.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree