1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 14:48
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    I'm not a religious person, I've never read any religious book, but I'm here to share my thoughts.

There are a few questions that keep me from looking deeper into any religion.

How does one even choose a religion in the first place? It seems to me that it is mostly dictated by geological factors. e.g if you're born in Israel, you're probably J ...[text shortened]... for them, doing exactly what their creator expected them to do/created them to do.

Thoughts?
    Nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning, right fellas?

I'm not a religious person...
    Sure you are.
    You may have an unnamed god(s), but every person who has ever been born on the face of the planet and reached the level of self-consciousness has some form of religion... something which informs their code of conduct, tells them what is right and proper, admonishes them from evil doing.
    Just because you haven't named your god(s) doesn't mean you are not acting in accord with principles of your beliefs.

There are a few questions that keep me from looking deeper into any religion.
    Well, it sounds like you've given it quite a bit of thought, actually.

Every race seems to have it's own religion or more.
    And, if you were to disperse the Jews from Israel, they'd end up together in a borough somewhere in New York, plotting their takeover of all the media centers.
    Point: people like to group.
    We're snugglers, every one of us.
    Mormons weren't from Utah; they ended up there, and through their familial pyramiding as well as their landmark attractions, the state has become the main hive from which they send out many, many stingers who, in turn, get even more like-minded people to steer their wagons in that direction.

But thoughtful folks everywhere live in a world of both comedy and tragedy, with the even more thoughtful ones constantly reevaluating their life's direction.
    For those who really don't examine but rather simply go with the flow (i.e., those who follow the 'geographical probably' route) are they really following a conscious, well-thought out system?
    Or are they just following the person in front of them?
    If their religion is just a cultural thing, I'd vote that it's not a religion... but a cultural thing.

No matter which way you slice it 75-99% of the world is wrong.
    I don't know that I'd even be that generous, really.
    But we can get to that in a minute or three.

I consider the fact that there exists a plethora of religions highly compelling as evidence that something is right.
    If imitation is the best form of flattery, certainly the competition for thought (if nothing else) appears to point toward the importance of thought.
    Hell, even the atheists believe that one!

Questions are good, so long as a person is open for the answer.
    Questions are good, so long as a person acts upon the answer.
    Questions are good, so long as a person knows the questions to ask in the first place.

The Lord Jesus Christ commanded people to ask, seek and knock.
    He didn't seem nervous about what folks would find.
    It's almost as though God created us with a built-in truth-o-meter, and ever the Master Inventor/Builder, He's confident that those who put all thoughts to the test will arrive at the right conclusion.

They were made to give peoples lives a glimmer of hope and to ease the fear of dying.
    Christianity is a bit off, then, since it starts off by saying man's destination is an eternal tormenting pain of unbelievable proportions.
    But then again, some folks are into that kinda stuff, I guess.

People created religion only to feel superior and to have a license to kill.
    Again, with Christianity, the ultimate plan is to snatch every man from that death and elevate each of them to a place of equality: equal opportunity to amass an incredible reward which will never die.
    Killing isn't really part of the overall plan, however.

A tool used by kings of ancient civilizations to enslave their people.
    Actually, most forms of government use propaganda, general ignorance and the natural human tendency toward status quo to enslave people.
    Works nearly every time.

If one knows everything and also creates everything, then how does free will exist?
    God made a rock He wouldn't lift.
    The will of man and the will of God are happening at the same time.
    It blows your mind when you really think of how He does it.

Doesn't both good and evil people both walk the line their creator set out for them, doing exactly what their creator expected them to do/created them to do.
    Good and evil is a system of thinking and orientation to life which was decidedly not God's plan for man.
    He had given man 'lives' and told him to stay the hell away from the 'good and evil' system.
    We all know how that worked out...
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 15:35
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Nice post, but I think you may have mean "geographic" reasons rather than "geologic" reasons.
    I worship not the god of the heathen cave-dwellers; our mountain God shalt find them and pwn them! 🙂
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 16:53
    KnightStalker,
    You Typed
    --------------
    People created religion only to feel superior and to have a license to kill.
    --------------

King James Version
    ================
    Mark 10: 42-45
    But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.

But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:

And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.

For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
  4. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 16:58
    KnightStalker,
    You Typed
    -----------------
    If one knows everything and also creates everything, then how does free will exist?
    -----------------

King James Version
    ================
    James 1: 13
    Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

I Corinthians 10: 13
    There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 17:05
    Googlefudge,
    You Typed
    ----------------
    What makes you think that free will DOES in fact exist...
    ----------------

Do you think that God made people on RHP play chess? That is free will. What does chess mean to God? Is chess an eternal necessity? Men and women play chess for their own reasons.
  6. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 17:07
    DiveGeester,
    You Typed
    --------------
    On the other hand, even if all religions are there to give people a "glimmer of hope and ease the fear of dying", what's the problem with that?
    --------------

Because it is vain and gains nothing eternally for All who are wrong.
  7. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 17:30
    FreakyKBH,
    You Typed
    ---------------
    ---------------

Yes, these words are given as commands. Each word in the Greek uses the Imperative Mood.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "ask" can mean:
    ....to ask, beg, call for, crave, desire, require

"seek" can mean:
    ....to seek after, seek for, aim at, strive after

"knock" can mean:
    ....to knock: at the door
  8. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 17:41
    Pudgenik,
    You Typed
    ---------------
    . . ., that Jesus said it best. "Love your neighbor as yourself"
    ---------------

The good thing is that salvation isn't earned, but given as a gift:

King James Version
    ================
    Romans 6: 23
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Ephesians 2: 8, 9
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 17:44
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Personally, I'd start asking God for clues to show you. After all, it isn't the
    opinion of man that really matters as much as God Himself. As a Christian
    I'd point you to Jesus Christ, and ask God in His name to show you what
    you need to know. The rest will work itself out since God is alive and well
    and does indeed answer those that call upon Him honestly.
    Kelly
    So, he should reach the desired conclusion by assuming what he is trying to prove. What a great way to reason.
  10. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 17:45
    Pete3246,

The bible shows in Acts that Jesus included all people of the world to hear the Gospel.

King James Version
    ==================
    Acts 1: 6-8
    When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 20:26
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    FreakyKBH,
    You Typed
    ---------------
    ---------------

Yes, these words are given as commands. Each word in the Greek uses the Imperative Mood.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "ask" can mean:
    ....to ask, beg, call for, crave, desire, require

"seek" can mean: ...[text shortened]... ...to seek after, seek for, aim at, strive after

"knock" can mean:
    ....to knock: at the door
    KingOnPoint,
    You Typed
    ---------------
    Words and I read them.
    ---------------
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 20:49
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    So, he should reach the desired conclusion by assuming what he is trying to prove. What a great way to reason.
    I believe God answers prayer, He is a God who makes and keeps promises.
    If you are going to look for God, why not go right to God?
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 23:46
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning, right fellas?

[b]I'm not a religious person...

Sure you are.
    You may have an unnamed god(s), but every person who has ever been born on the face of the planet and reached the level of self-consciousness has some form of religion... something which informs their code of conduct, tells them wha ...[text shortened]... d him to stay the hell away from the 'good and evil' system.
    We all know how that worked out...[/b]
    something which informs their code of conduct, tells them what is right and proper, admonishes them from evil doing. Just because you haven't named your god(s) doesn't mean you are not acting in accord with principles of your beliefs.

I get my code of conduct/beliefs from the experiences of my own life and what I've seen. The accumulation of the things I've learned over time. What religion is that? Would you consider me to be my own god?

And, if you were to disperse the Jews from Israel, they'd end up together in a borough somewhere in New York, plotting their takeover of all the media centers.

Oh look antisemitism, I guess your god promotes racism, nice morals you got there.

Point: people like to group. We're snugglers, every one of us. Mormons weren't from Utah; they ended up there.

My point was that people can be born into a group, if your parents are Muslim you will be much more likely to become Muslim yourself. Being born in the right religion is mostly a lottery. How many people born in Saudi Arabia converted to Christianity? I think the majority of religious people had parents that shared their beliefs. It's a tremendous influence.

I consider the fact that there exists a plethora of religions highly compelling as evidence that something is right.

If one is right, there is no way to tell which one it is.

Christianity is a bit off, then, since it starts off by saying man's destination is an eternal tormenting pain of unbelievable proportions.
    But then again, some folks are into that kinda stuff, I guess.

Wait, I thought Christianity was about getting into heaven, isn't that the appeal? If "man's destination is an eternal pain of unbelievable proportions" then why bother following anything the bible says? I don't know Christianity very well, but I do know that people who believe in it think they will get a pleasant afterlife. Right?

Actually, most forms of government use propaganda, general ignorance and the natural human tendency toward status quo to enslave people.
    Works nearly every time.

Which government uses that method give me an example.

The will of man and the will of God are happening at the same time.

But an omnipotent creator would know mans will in advance and that in combination with being his creator means his will is not his own.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 01:51
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    [b]something which informs their code of conduct, tells them what is right and proper, admonishes them from evil doing. Just because you haven't named your god(s) doesn't mean you are not acting in accord with principles of your beliefs.

I get my code of conduct/beliefs from the experiences of my own life and what I've seen. The accumulation ...[text shortened]... ns will in advance and that in combination with being his creator means his will is not his own.[/b]
    Would you consider me to be my own god?
    You're taking all my good lines, yo.

Oh look antisemitism, I guess your god promotes racism, nice morals you got there.
    I see your god promotes cluelessness... or at least, immunity to irony.

I think the majority of religious people had parents that shared their beliefs. It's a tremendous influence.
    As I said, cultural practices aren't necessarily religious norms.

If one is right, there is no way to tell which one it is.
    Sounds kinda like you made a judgement of some type there.

Wait, I thought Christianity was about getting into heaven, isn't that the appeal?
    Well, they have to go somewhere, right?

If "man's destination is an eternal pain of unbelievable proportions" then why bother following anything the bible says?
    When Christians are commanded to grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, the game plan is outlined within Scripture.
    There's a right way to do a right thing.
    Nothing more.
    Nothing less.

Which government uses that method give me an example.
    Where do you live?
    That's a good start.

But an omnipotent creator would know mans will in advance and that in combination with being his creator means his will is not his own.
    This makes literally no sense.
    You should have just put a nonsense sentence into a randomization program and then cut and paste the results.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 03:04
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I believe God answers prayer, He is a God who makes and keeps promises.
    If you are going to look for God, why not go right to God?
    Kelly
    If I knew right where to go, then I would not need to look.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree