1. Houston, Texas
    Joined
    28 Sep '10
    Moves
    14347
    26 Aug '11 12:40
    Ricky Perry is thought of as a good Christian man by many. He now joins Bachmann, Paul, Gingrich, and Santorum in signing the anti-abortion pledge. Signing the pledge may help continue the surge of religious fundamentalist and social conservative support for Perry's candidacy. Notably, Mormon Romney has refused to sign the pledge.

    The pledge includes four points: a vow to only nominate strict constructionist judges, to "select only pro-life appointees for relevant Cabinet and Executive Branch positions," to push for defunding Planned Parenthood and other taxpayer-supported abortion providers and to sign a Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act. A resulting nuance, by the way, is that with the limitation in the pledge of only pro-life appointees. Perry if president could not nominate someone like Guliani to attorney general, for example, unless of course Perry reneged on the pledge.


    From the LA Times:

    Anti-abortion activists cheered news today that Texas Gov. Rick Perry had signed a sweeping pledge promising to use federal government power to curtail abortion.

    Leading activists had expressed concern about Perry in recent weeks, worried that his zeal for state sovereignty under the 10th Amendment of the Constitution would get in the way of using the federal government to prevent abortions.

    At a conference several weeks ago, Perry said that if the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark abortion decision, it would be up to the states to decide how to regulate the practice.

    Last night, Perry signed a pledge calling for sweeping federal action to stop abortion and appoint anti-abortion advocates to top federal positions, including judgeships. The pledge, written and sponsored by the Susan B. Anthony Fund, has been signed by seven other presidential candidates with the exception of Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman.

    http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-perry-signs-antiabortion-pledge-20110824,0,5730418.story?track=rss:


    See also from the Houston Chronicle:

    http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2011/08/rick-perry-signs-anti-abortion-pledge/
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    26 Aug '11 16:16
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Ricky Perry is thought of as a good Christian man by many. He now joins Bachmann, Paul, Gingrich, and Santorum in signing the anti-abortion pledge. Signing the pledge may help continue the surge of religious fundamentalist and social conservative support for Perry's candidacy. Notably, Mormon Romney has refused to sign the pledge.

    The pledge includes f ...[text shortened]... Chronicle:

    http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2011/08/rick-perry-signs-anti-abortion-pledge/
    HalleluYah !!!
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    26 Aug '11 17:11
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Ricky Perry is thought of as a good Christian man by many. He now joins Bachmann, Paul, Gingrich, and Santorum in signing the anti-abortion pledge. Signing the pledge may help continue the surge of religious fundamentalist and social conservative support for Perry's candidacy. Notably, Mormon Romney has refused to sign the pledge.

    The pledge includes f ...[text shortened]... Chronicle:

    http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2011/08/rick-perry-signs-anti-abortion-pledge/
    Funny how these tea-baggers who want to tell me what I can do with my own uterus probably would not be at all amenable to having someone stand on their penis for even ten minutes.

    As for Michelle, it's also funny how the rest of these d-bags are quite against placing her uterus in the Oval Office. So am I, but that's beside the point.

    BTW, I don't think of any of these lying hypocritical scumbags as a good Christian man.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52615
    26 Aug '11 17:54
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Funny how these tea-baggers who want to tell me what I can do with my own uterus probably would not be at all amenable to having someone stand on their penis for even ten minutes.

    As for Michelle, it's also funny how the rest of these d-bags are quite against placing her uterus in the Oval Office. So am I, but that's beside the point.

    BTW, I don't think of any of these lying hypocritical scumbags as a good Christian man.
    Other than that, they are all ok, right?😉
  5. Joined
    10 Jun '11
    Moves
    3829
    27 Aug '11 03:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    HalleluYah !!!
    let's also make female circumcision mandatory at birth.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    28 Aug '11 16:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Other than that, they are all ok, right?😉
    Actually, no.

    If they're going to run on this platform, that they are a "good Christian" first and foremost, then let them join the clergy where they can spout their weird ideas all day long and not affect me or my life, instead of aspiring to lead the government, where they could potentially ruin my life.

    Where are all the "separation of church and state" people when these self-serving idiots run for office?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    28 Aug '11 16:42
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    let's also make female circumcision mandatory at birth.
    This is so, so, SO not even funny as to be borderline offensive. This is a serious problem in the world today and to be so cavalier about it shows a gross lack of empathy for the millions who are affected.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    28 Aug '11 16:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Actually, no.

    If they're going to run on this platform, that they are a "good Christian" first and foremost, then let them join the clergy where they can spout their weird ideas all day long and not affect me or my life, instead of aspiring to lead the government, where they could potentially ruin my life.

    Where are all the "separation of church and state" people when these self-serving idiots run for office?
    I believe in freedom of religion as long as it is Christianity.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    28 Aug '11 16:45
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe in freedom of religion as long as it is Christianity.
    How generous.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    28 Aug '11 16:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    How generous.
    Thank you. I accept that award with pleasure.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12622
    28 Aug '11 20:05
    Christians, beware of trolls who come to the Spirituality Forum to divide brothers and sisters in Christ over politics.

    Don't play into their hands.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    28 Aug '11 23:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe in freedom of religion as long as it is Christianity.
    This is why the rest of the world looks at certain parts of America with horror.

    Say hello to RJHinds, the walking talking demonstration of what is wrong with
    Christian fundamentalism.

    Sexist (rude word I am not allowed to type here) and proud of it.

    He has his bible and will beat you over the head with it till you agree with him.

    Oh and don't disagree with him in church, it might embarrass him in front of all
    his friends.

    Do it in private where he can beat you into submission with no witnesses.


    Most of all don't presume to think that you have any ownership over your own body.
    That would be wrong, cos it says so in his little book of fairy tales.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148424
    29 Aug '11 00:25
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    This is why the rest of the world looks at certain parts of America with horror.

    Say hello to RJHinds, the walking talking demonstration of what is wrong with
    Christian fundamentalism.

    Sexist (rude word I am not allowed to type here) and proud of it.

    He has his bible and will beat you over the head with it till you agree with him.

    Oh and don ...[text shortened]... ip over your own body.
    That would be wrong, cos it says so in his little book of fairy tales.
    Everyone, and I mean everyone votes on how they view things should be done.
    Pro-life or Pro-choice if you have a view and it is strong, you'll push it. Those
    two views will not be accepted as true at the same time. It is amazing the hate
    that springs up defending one's points of view on this topic, even from people
    I've never seen it come from before.
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    29 Aug '11 00:54
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Everyone, and I mean everyone votes on how they view things should be done.
    Pro-life or Pro-choice if you have a view and it is strong, you'll push it. Those
    two views will not be accepted as true at the same time. It is amazing the hate
    that springs up defending one's points of view on this topic, even from people
    I've never seen it come from before.
    Kelly
    The whole point of the freedom of religion, and the separation of church and state.
    was so that the majority didn't force its religion on a minority.

    The idea of having inalienable rights is that minorities will always lose a vote on their
    rights so you don't put those rights up for a vote.

    However in this particular instance I was just sniping at RJHinds repeatedly demonstrated
    sexism. I don't hate RJH, I don't know him. I DO however hate the position he is espousing.
    It was that I was aiming my vitriol at.


    BTW, by labelling themselves 'PRO'-life, those who oppose abortion imply that the other side
    is pro-death, or at least ambivalent about life.
    This is both insulting and untrue, Any abortion is a tragedy and a high abortion rate is an indicator
    that there is something wrong with your society. However an unwanted and unplanned pregnancy
    can have worse consequences than having the abortion. And certainly in cases where the health
    of the mother is put in question by the pregnancy, or in cases of rape, abortion should definitely
    be on the table as an option.

    I would also point out that it is those on the 'pro-life' side of the argument who assassinate doctors
    for performing abortions, and are shredding women's healthcare (that has nothing to do with abortion)
    and thus are having a significant effect on the long term health and well-being of millions of people.

    It is difficult to remain impassive in the face of people who call people who hold your position to be
    murderers (while they assassinate people) and imply that only they care about life while harming
    the health of others they deem less important.

    Plus I get cranky when I am tired and have a headache....
    But in this case I think I can justify crankiness.
    I find RJH's sexism (and the stupidity and sexism of the entire religious anti-abortion movement)
    deeply objectionable.
    If he's going to wear it with pride then I am going to call him on it.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    29 Aug '11 02:08
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    The whole point of the freedom of religion, and the separation of church and state.
    was so that the majority didn't force its religion on a minority.

    The idea of having inalienable rights is that minorities will always lose a vote on their
    rights so you don't put those rights up for a vote.

    However in this particular instance I was just sniping a ...[text shortened]... jectionable.
    If he's going to wear it with pride then I am going to call him on it.
    It is not sexism, my wife believes it is wrong to kill an unborn baby in
    the womb no matter how it got there, too.
Back to Top