1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 05:40
    Irish singer Sinéad O'Connor has announced she has converted to Islam.

1992: famously ripped up a photo of the Pope on TV

1992-1999: countless interviews in which she savaged the Catholic Church

1999: despite denunciation by the Catholic Church, she was ordained a priest by a breakaway church

Is this just another poke in the eye with a sharp stick for the Catholic Church that helped raise her?

Or, should we take her at her word when said that her decision was "the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian's journey"?

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45987127
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 06:17
    @fmf said

1999: despite denunciation by the Catholic Church, she was ordained a priest by a breakaway church

Is this just another poke in the eye with a sharp stick for the Catholic Chu ...[text shortened]... any intelligent theologian's journey"?

Is your conversion to atheism just another poke in the eye with a sharp stick for the Catholic Church that helped raise you?

Or, was your decision to convert to atheism just "the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian's journey"?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 06:53
    @fmf said

Is this just another poke in the eye with a sharp stick for the Catholic Chu ...[text shortened]... any intelligent theologian's journey"?

I think she’s been a damaged personality for decades and like many people who are emotionally frail, they behavely with religion like a moth to a flame.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 06:56
    It’s amusing to watch the Romans1009 wannabe dj2becker, with his pseudo pedobear avatar, chase a completely uninterested FMF around the threads.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 08:051 edit
    @divegeester said
    I think she’s been a damaged personality for decades and like many people who are emotionally frail, they behavely with religion like a moth to a flame.
    I don't know her personal story - only a bit about her public statements and actions. If she was "damaged" by the Catholic Church then that would not be such a surprise - it's certainly got form in that area. Not least in Ireland.

To heap on top of this the pressures and vicissitudes of celebrity and uneven fame, it's a risky mix. The craving for bygone attention can be acute. But, of course, it might not be like that.

I've known a fair few people who have converted to Islam and it hasn't been because of them being "damaged" nor has it "damaged" them. I hope it is a transformation that affords her spiritual solace and purpose.

If it's another episode in her decades-long wrestle with her former religion - cocking the snook at it, as it were - I'd have thought the Catholic Church and its adherents couldn't give two hoots.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 09:54
    @divegeester said
    It’s amusing to watch the Romans1009 wannabe dj2becker, with his pseudo pedobear avatar, chase a completely uninterested FMF around the threads.
    His name is Daniel Tiger and he’s not a pedobear. Feel free to ban me for asking FMF some probing questions, I presume you feel he deserves to be wrapped in cotton wool on the basis that he has consumed beverages in your company?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 11:06
    Romans1009 kicked off the site for creepy stalking and repeated use of spamming accounts of children getting drunk and approached by adults in bars

Romans1009 claimed to live in Connecticut

dj2becker aka Fetchmyjunk and long time admirer of Romans1009 adopts children's TV iconic character, Daniel Tiger, as his avatar

Coincidentally Daniel Tiger's creator, Angela Santomero lives in Connecticut with her husband Greg
  8. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 13:06
    @fmf said

Is this just another poke in the eye with a sharp stick for the Catholic Church th ...[text shortened]... f any intelligent theologian's journey"?
    take her at her word...

personal anecdote, i have been exposed to many different teachings...
    this is my great fortune, to not think "there is only one way to survive"...
    i remember her and her actions from so many years ago, her pain was/is palpable, she was hurt/abused badly by those she should have been able to trust...

but then,
    that's all humans...
    we trust, we are let down/betrayed, we grow or die...
    this is her growth...

i have a sufi name given to me by my murshid...
    i have a name given to me by momma and daddy...
    i have names given to me by folks i interact with, some daily, some not so often...
    i have names i've given to myself... lol

she won't ever know, but, i bless her on her journey...
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 13:09
    @rookie54 said
    take her at her word...

personal anecdote, i have been exposed to many different teachings...
    this is my great fortune, to not think "there is only one way to survive"...
    i remember her and her actions from so many years ago, her pain was/is palpable, she was hurt/abused badly by those she should have been able to trust...

but then,
    that's all humans...
    we trust, w ...[text shortened]...
    i have names i've given to myself... lol

she won't ever know, but, i bless her on her journey...
    I wonder if she will emulate Cat Stevens and forge a musical career rooted in her new spiritual path.
  10. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 13:19
    @fmf said
    I wonder if she will emulate Cat Stevens and forge a musical career rooted in her new spiritual path.
    i don't know...

i may seem pedantic,
    but,
    when i drive into the ft worth/dallas metroplex, i take many roads, many turns, to arrive at a destination...
    these are not new paths,
    they've been traveled many times before, by many folks...
    it may seem 'new' if i take a road i've yet to drive,
    but,

it isn't new...
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 13:23
    @rookie54 said
    i don't know...

i may seem pedantic,
    but,
    when i drive into the ft worth/dallas metroplex, i take many roads, many turns, to arrive at a destination...
    these are not new paths,
    they've been traveled many times before, by many folks...
    it may seem 'new' if i take a road i've yet to drive,
    but,

it isn't new...
    Profound
  12. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 13:32
    The more original a discovery, the more obvious it seems afterwards.
    Arthur Koestler
    British (Hungarian-born) author (1905 - 1983)
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 14:15
    @fmf said

Does this mean she will have to grow her hair back?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 14:21
    @whodey said
    Does this mean she will have to grow her hair back?
    Topic: a woman.

Cue whodey: facetious comments about her body, what she looks like, her hair, her legs, her buttocks, perhaps later some Benny Hillisms about her sex appeal or some sex related slurs.

Evidence: years and years of reading whodey' posts when women he didn't respect came up on the Debates Forum.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 15:40
    @divegeester said
    Romans1009 kicked off the site for creepy stalking and repeated use of spamming accounts of children getting drunk and approached by adults in bars

Romans1009 claimed to live in Connecticut

dj2becker aka Fetchmyjunk and long time admirer of Romans1009 adopts children's TV iconic character, Daniel Tiger, as his avatar

Coincidentally Daniel Tiger's creator, Angela Santomero lives in Connecticut with her husband Greg
    If you feel that my avatar violates the terms and conditions of this website feel free to report it to the mods, or just tell them to ban me regardless.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree