1. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 10:38
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I think perhaps the point can be made that back in antiquity, following the principles of some holy book or other served as the most pragmatic means to establish some sort of cohesive society and reduce the barbarism that would have been rife in such times, in lieu of a better system that would only later be ready for use.
    I think it would have to be supported with solid evidence. I am far from convinced that religion is the best way to manage morals in society or ever has been. If anything, I find religion often opens doors to avoiding ones conscience and avoiding the ire of others for immoral behavior.
    Certainly, many cultures seem to have been reasonably successful without the use of religion for moral guidance. They tend to use culture for the same purpose, though that too has its failings. I find many people will overlook immoral behavior on the grounds that it is part of the culture.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 12:32
    Originally posted by souverein
    In the same way that people are free to dream whatever they want. But It becomes problematic when people enforce the content of their personal religions or dreams onto each other.
    Yep, exactly.

Thnx for answering, its made my night in some strange way...🙂
  3. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 15:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think it would have to be supported with solid evidence. I am far from convinced that religion is the best way to manage morals in society or ever has been. If anything, I find religion often opens doors to avoiding ones conscience and avoiding the ire of others for immoral behavior.
    Certainly, many cultures seem to have been reasonably successful with ...[text shortened]... I find many people will overlook immoral behavior on the grounds that it is part of the culture.
    Do you know antique or 'uncivilized' cultures which were not driven by superstition? I don't think you will find them. It is therefore not far fetched to assume these cultures needed supernatural belief systems to come to terms with the baffling reality around them. The old world was filled with unexplainable objects and events. To trust solely on their own conscience was apparently not sufficient to overcome their existential fears.
    We may wonder how much these religions really contributed to better morals. That depended for a great part on the conscience of the initiators, messengers, shamans and prophets. When their moral standard was higher than average their message would have had a good influence on the society. Later it would become less beneficial when the following leaders tried to remain the status quo or declined.

I agree, religion tend to make and keep people lazy. Religion blocks followers to use their own consciousness. Religious institutes have developed their own agenda. We probably don't need religions anymore to live a happy and morally acceptable life. But a new fear has been developed and replaced the old fears. Fears for the natural (unexplained) world is replaced for a fear for the self invented god. Monotheistic religions claim that humans cannot trust themselves, are sinners. Indoctrination about sin keeps followers of the monotheistic religions in an iron grip. A self made fear keeps these religions alive.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree