1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 May '11 16:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Surely man too is part of the design? What if it wasn't man but say a heard of Zebra that ruin it? Why would that be different?
    Another comedian. Funny!
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 May '11 16:29
    Originally posted by mikelom
    You seem to have selected the part of my post which excludes animalistic ability to adapt.

Are you joking? 😀

-m. 😉
    I agree with adaptation 100%. It's the "just happened" part that is
    so ridiculous, that it is funny.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 May '11 16:33
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Then we agree to agree. The Universe simply happened. Q.E.D. 😏

-m.
    I believe the universe was designed and made by God.
    No doubt about it. It is not theory, but a fact that needs
    no proof.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 May '11 16:42
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    When we talk about “designer” and “design” on this thread, are we restricting ourselves to the strict standard meaning of those words that necessarily imply intelligence with intent or can we include a non-standard meaning that does not necessarily imply intelligence with intent such as in statements like “the designer of animal anatomy is mindless ...[text shortened]... designed” whether intelligently or not so to say the universe is “designed” isn't saying a lot!
    Yes. We KNOW the universe was designed and made by God.
    We do NOT KNOW how he did it.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 May '11 17:001 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe the universe was designed and made by God.
    No doubt about it. It is not theory, but a fact that needs
    no proof.
    What a shocker...another person who refuses to provide any reasons or justification for his theo-teleological position about which he is so certain.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 May '11 18:142 edits
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    What a shocker...another person who refuses to provide any reasons or justification for his theo-teleological position about which he is so certain.
    You know you guys who want proof of a God and of his creations ask what does not need to be answered as all the answers you want are in what you touch and see and smell and fell. You are proof of a God and what he's created.
    So to go find some secret text of something lying out in some ancient ruins or falling in an asteroid from space and finding this mysterious answer you guys want us to show you in black and white, is being so blind and superficial from what we all can see before us daily. The proof is in all we see as nothing at all would be here if it wasn't for God and his wisdom.
    Not even a simple hammer could question the doubt of it's having a maker.
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    17 May '11 22:47
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Ah I see. Why don't you state your beliefs about how the universe came about and enlighten the rest of the world?
    I don't have any beliefs about how the universe came about.
    I wait for science to enlighten me on that score - and there are many interesting threads that people are following.
    Strange as it might seem to you, I can live my day to day life quite nicely without having a perfect explanation for how the world I live in came to be.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    18 May '11 00:05
    Originally posted by amannion
    I wait for science to enlighten me on that score - and there are many interesting threads that people are following.
    Strange as it might seem to you, I can live my day to day life quite nicely without having a perfect explanation for how the world I live in came to be.
    I don't have the perfect explination either and don't really worry about it beyond what is normal. But I do want to know the truth and mans explination falls very short of that and it's mostly because many that promote the thought of there being no God that designed and created all we see is just simple foolishness..
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 May '11 00:41
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I don't have the perfect explination either and don't really worry about it beyond what is normal. But I do want to know the truth and mans explination falls very short of that and it's mostly because many that promote the thought of there being no God that designed and created all we see is just simple foolishness..
    Why is it foolishness?
    It seems to me to be a rational viewpoint.
    As for man's explanation - we don't have one, so I guess yeah, it does fall short. But then your god's explanation doesn't really add up to much either. How did it all start? God created it. Yeah, that's wonderfully enlightening. (Not.)
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 May '11 02:04
    Good for you. You don't need to know how it happened.
    No need to worry, God knows what He is doing.
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 May '11 02:35
    Good for you. You don't need to know how it happened.
    No need to worry, God knows what He is doing.
    Thanks, but I'll stay in the real world just the same, not your fairy world with ghosts and demons and easter bunnies and hairy old men in the sky.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 May '11 06:02
    Thanks, but I'll stay in the real world just the same, not your fairy world with ghosts and demons and easter bunnies and hairy old men in the sky.
    I am also in the real world with ghosts and demons. I love to eat
    chocolate easter bunnies. But I can't say I know about any hairy
    old men in the sky.
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 May '11 09:31
    I am also in the real world with ghosts and demons. I love to eat
    chocolate easter bunnies. But I can't say I know about any hairy
    old men in the sky.
    No, ghosts, demons, and your hairy supernatural monster in the sky are not part of our real world. They're imaginings - and not very interesting or useful ones.
    I'll stick with what actually exists thanks.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '11 16:265 edits
    No, ghosts, demons, and your hairy supernatural monster in the sky are not part of our real world. They're imaginings - and not very interesting or useful ones.
    I'll stick with what actually exists thanks.
    They may not be real to you, but that does not mean they are not real to other people. Is the tooth fairy real to the little child who puts his tooth underneath his pillow? Yes indeed, I even heard of one kid that put popcorn under his pillow in order to trick the tooth fairy. Does it matter to the little child that you do not profess belief in the tooth fairy? Not on your life, to him, the tooth fairy is real, and useful, for he shall furnish him with monetary payment. That you have no belief in the supernatural does not mean firstly that the supernatural does not exist, for you cannot prove it, making your statement therefore, an opinion which is fine.

Secondly others persons derive great benefit and strength, even being able to accomplish what they could not possibly to have hoped to accomplish upon their own strength from developing a relationship with a perceived element, which we term God, others Christ. Indeed, it is universally recognised, for example among recovering alcoholics, that faith in something higher/other/imagined or otherwise can be of immense practical value in helping them overcome their addiction. How are you then saying that it is useless? What about those persons who derive purpose for their lives from serving others after the manner of a religious personage, Christ for example. Is it useless and uninteresting to them? Not on your life, for it forms the very basis of their reason for living, in some instances.

Please dont take this the wrong way, the existence for or against a deity is a futile exercise, it cannot be proven nor not proven, therefore those who engage in a spiritual journey move on from that elementary argument, Christians perceive in the character of Christ a personage worthy of imitation, the Buddhist some principles of logic, wisdom or knowledge with which they can relate to etc etc, to state that all is useless and uninteresting is to miss the point, for was it not Durer, the German artist who painted a clod of grass and in doing so it became apparent that beauty and interest are there, if we are willing to look, even in a clod of grass?

everything holy😵
  15. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    18 May '11 17:06
    Yes. We KNOW the universe was designed and made by God.
    We do NOT KNOW how he did it.
    “....Yes...”

“Yes” to what? I asked which of the two possible meanings we are giving to the word “design” and you answer with just a “Yes” 😛

“.... We KNOW the universe was designed and made by God. ….”

how does that relate to my post? -and we don't “KNOW” that else HOW would we “KNOW” that?
    Did you actually read any of my post?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree