1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 16:05
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    My opening post was intentionally contentious to inspire debate. I obviously didn't expect theists to take my direction to 'put aside' their belief in the divine inspiration of the bible. I was obviously presenting my case from an atheist's perspective.

Discussions in another thread about homosexuality is perhaps one example of how moral values from the bible are out of touch with modern sentiment and understanding.
    I understand your point. But once you're an atheist, I don't see why it's even necessary to point to failings in the Bible. If you're doing it to try to show theists that it's not divinely inspired, that's another issue.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 16:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    But if the Bible is not divinely inspired, then it's useless as a behavioral or legal guide.
    I find certain adages in the Bible useful as behavioral guides, such as,

-Be slow to anger and slow to take offense
    -Be kind to others and forgive easily
    -Don't hold grudges
    -think on things that have virtue, or are noble, or of good report

...etc.

Lack of divine inspiration would not diminish their usefulness whatsoever.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 17:39
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I find certain adages in the Bible useful as behavioral guides, such as,

-Be slow to anger and slow to take offense
    -Be kind to others and forgive easily
    -Don't hold grudges
    -think on things that have virtue, or are noble, or of good report

...etc.

Lack of divine inspiration would not diminish their usefulness whatsoever.
    You find it useful only when and insofar as you agree with it. Kind of like praising a stopped clock for being right twice a day.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 18:15
    I understand your point. But once you're an atheist, I don't see why it's even necessary to point to failings in the Bible. If you're doing it to try to show theists that it's not divinely inspired, that's another issue.
    Personally, my focus here is not to challenge theists about the divinely inspired nature of the bible. (If for no other reason than it's an area they are unlikely to give ground on, and I respect that). However, if a theist's starting point is that the bible is divinely inspired it is not unreasonable to point towards apparent failings and contradictions and seek explanation. (As the God they worship is an infallible God). This is not done out of malice, but out of an interest in the subject, even if only on an academic level.

When I have finished writing a chapter in a story, my wife invariably acts as proof reader and highlights inconsistencies in the plot line, things that contradict or seem confused. Again, she doesn't do this out of malice and her feedback is useful in understanding what's been written. (Do not tell her this!) - In a similar vain, the Ghost is a self appointed proof reader of the bible and seeks, indirectly, to let God know that some of the things he has written need a rethink.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 18:48
    You find it useful only when and insofar as you agree with it. Kind of like praising a stopped clock for being right twice a day.
    No, that's too simplistic and cynical.

If the Bible was simply telling me things I already believed in / knew, I wouldn't find it poignant or memorable.

Take the bit about focusing on the good. My tendency is to play the part of the critic. Fault-finding, in the short term, can be very gratifying.

For a long time, I didn't think any special effort to focus on good was needed. But experience has shown that focusing only on the negative comes at a price. I struggle with depression.

So I need verses like that to remind me to fight against certain tendencies. That's what makes them useful.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 20:16
    Personally, my focus here is not to challenge theists about the divinely inspired nature of the bible. (If for no other reason than it's an area they are unlikely to give ground on, and I respect that). However, if a theist's starting point is that the bible is divinely inspired it is not unreasonable to point towards apparent failings and contradict ...[text shortened]... le and seeks, indirectly, to let God know that some of the things he has written need a rethink.
    "vein"... "In a similar vein". Vain is something else entirely.

My fee for proofreading is a rather spartan 1200 pounds sterling. 🙂
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 20:22
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    No, that's too simplistic and cynical.

If the Bible was simply telling me things I already believed in / knew, I wouldn't find it poignant or memorable.

Take the bit about focusing on the good. My tendency is to play the part of the critic. Fault-finding, in the short term, can be very gratifying.

For a long time, I didn't think any special e ...[text shortened]... erses like that to remind me to fight against certain tendencies. That's what makes them useful.
    You could read the Bible more regularly. It is a saga of love. A "love letter to the human race", as it were. Sometimes you just have to be direct with those you care about. I had depression issues for years, mainly as a result of dealing with profound PTSD. Learning how to live my life "more abundantly" (and gaining self-confidence through martial-arts training) was key in turning that around.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 20:41
    Discussions in another thread about homosexuality is perhaps one example of how moral values from the bible are out of touch with modern sentiment and understanding.
    Maybe modern sentiment and understanding are out of touch with values from the Bible.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 20:49
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "vein"... "In a similar vein". Vain is something else entirely.

My fee for proofreading is a rather spartan 1200 pounds sterling. 🙂
    Will take me several days to recover from this.

😞
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 20:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Maybe modern sentiment and understanding are out of touch with values from the Bible.
    That's a straw egg argument.

I've lost it...
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '16 06:51
    My opening post was intentionally contentious to inspire debate. I obviously didn't expect theists to take my direction to 'put aside' their belief in the divine inspiration of the bible. I was obviously presenting my case from an atheist's perspective.

If it is from the Atheist perspective than who cares one way or another, all views are just
    man's views some from the past others from today, all end up dead in the end does it matter?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Apr '16 07:04
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    If it is from the Atheist perspective than who cares one way or another, all views are just
    man's views some from the past others from today, all end up dead in the end does it matter?
    You theist chaps are so pessimistic.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '16 07:08
    You theist chaps are so pessimistic.
    Pessimistic? If we are the only scales of good and bad, right and wrong than no matter
    what we say or do we are right are we not? Now if some of us disagree with another part
    of us, than again one side is still no better than the next it is just us making up our minds
    there is no scale beyond what we settle upon. Even after all of that we will all die and
    all of our choices and value statements go away with our passing....hard to be happy
    about that so without an after life eat, drink, and be merry.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Apr '16 07:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Pessimistic? If we are the only scales of good and bad, right and wrong than no matter
    what we say or do we are right are we not? Now if some of us disagree with another part
    of us, than again one side is still no better than the next it is just us making up our minds
    there is no scale beyond what we settle upon. Even after all of that we will all die a ...[text shortened]... h our passing....hard to be happy
    about that so without an after life eat, drink, and be merry.
    Live for the moment my friend, enjoy the company of those you love, seek to help as many people as you can. Even without religion or God, life is a miracle. We need to help each other make the most of it, no matter how fleeting it is.

A long time ago i worked in a Day Centre for people with dementia. I would run workshops and try to make them as fun as i could. Sadly, because of that horrible condition and the impact it has on short term memory, many would have no recollection of the workshop by the time their bus came to take them home. Did that mean I thought, 'what's the point of making the workshops enjoyable? They're only temporary and soon forgotten.' - No. All of us in that workshop lived for the moment. Indeed, knowing the temporal nature of our time together made it more special, not less.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '16 07:501 edit
    Live for the moment my friend, enjoy the company of those you love, seek to help as many people as you can. Even without religion or God, life is a miracle. We need to help each other make the most of it, no matter how fleeting it is.

A long time ago i worked in a Day Centre for people with dementia. I would run workshops and try to make them as f ...[text shortened]... moment. Indeed, knowing the temporal nature of our time together made it more special, not less.
    We lost our first child to a heart defect 13 days past her first birthday, I get that life is short
    and we should make the most of it. I think life is a gift for which I'm very thankful for, even
    for the ones we had little time with.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree