1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 23:211 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Isn't the theory of evolution a perfect example of building a house on shifting
    sands?
    No.
    Evolution is built on rock solid facts.

Any time you want to actually talk about evolution seriously with an open mind,
    (ie be prepared to change your mind if i present arguments and evidence of high enough calibre)
    Then I am ready.

Until that time I will simply say you are metaphorically shooting at a massive fortress made of mile
    thick granite resting on a batholith with a peashooter.

Evolution is established scientific fact. It has been proved beyond reasonable doubt.

The fact that the education system in your country is so poor as to enable anyone
    to not understand this is unfortunate, but does not alter the fact that you are wrong.

Explaining why requires time, time that I am not prepared to give unless you are prepared to
    admit the possibility you are wrong and engage with an open mind.

Till then, Evolution is a fact, get over it.

EDIT: also you missed the point of my post.
    I was simply saying if you don't use words as they are defined in the dictionary, and thus
    as everyone else understands them, then discussion is meaningless.
    Words have a meaning, and that meaning can be looked up.
    I am sure for example that even you can agree that evolution is not the same as atheism.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 23:33
    I believe that evolution being the origin of homo-sapiens remains a theory, not a scientific proven fact.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 06:321 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No.
    Evolution is built on rock solid facts.

Any time you want to actually talk about evolution seriously with an open mind,
    (ie be prepared to change your mind if i present arguments and evidence of high enough calibre)
    Then I am ready.

Until that time I will simply say you are metaphorically shooting at a massive fortress made of mile
    thick g d up.
    I am sure for example that even you can agree that evolution is not the same as atheism.
    I don't see any rocks under evolution. It all appears as sand to me.
    If it has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, then cite the
    court case so I can confirm it.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 06:52
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Atheist Frank Zindler said,

‘The most devastating thing though that biology did to Christianity was the discovery of biological evolution. Now that we know that Adam and Eve never were real people the central myth of Christianity is destroyed. If there never was an Adam and Eve there never was an original sin. If there never was an original sin there is ...[text shortened]... e general population to accept evolution as ‘fact’, it will be the death of (real) Christianity.
    YouTube
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 07:15
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I believe that evolution being the origin of homo-sapiens remains a theory, not a scientific proven fact.
    You can believe as you choose, but you are wrong.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 07:23
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    You can believe as you choose, but you are wrong.
    And you may too believe what you like.

Evolution as the origin of our species not an absolute proven fact. There is various evidences and various ways of interpreting that evidence, but no one has conclusively proven that human evolved from apes.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 07:31

Evolution as the origin of our species not an absolute proven fact. There is various evidences and various ways of interpreting that evidence, but no one has conclusively proven that human evolved from apes.
    Evolution as the origin of our species not an absolute proven fact.

It's a proven fact as any other fact in evolution. We evolved.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 07:35
    [b]Evolution as the origin of our species not an absolute proven fact.

It's a proven fact as any other fact in evolution. We evolved.[/b]
    Perhaps we did.

However one fact is indisputable; that evolution remains as scientific 'theory', not scientific 'fact'.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 07:47
    Perhaps we did.

However one fact is indisputable; that evolution remains as scientific 'theory', not scientific 'fact'.

Evolution is a scientific fact. Life on this planet evolved. It's as indisputable a scientific theory as that of the sun going round the earth.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:30
    [b]However one fact is indisputable; that evolution remains as scientific 'theory', not scientific 'fact'.

Evolution is a scientific fact. Life on this planet evolved. It's as indisputable a scientific theory as that of the sun going round the earth.[/b]
    Could you show me where it is proved a fact; as in a demonstrable fact. And not a series of evidenced (historical evidences; factual individually) which lead to a theoretical conclusion.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:31
    Perhaps we did.

Do you also think the 'theory of flight' is not necessarily a "fact"?
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:38

Logic alone can prove that point. Human beings are apes. Our nearest relative in the animal kingdom - the chimpanzee - is also an ape. More distant but still close relatives are all also apes. Is that not proof?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you also think the 'theory of flight' is not necessarily a "fact"?
    Every-time a bird shlts on my car or a seagull tries to steal my chips it is obviously a demonstrable fact.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:41
    Every-time a bird shlts on my car or a seagull tries to steal my chips it is obviously a demonstrable fact.
    So you don't balk at the meaning of the word "theory"?
  15. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:44
    If you want to split hairs, NOTHING is proven fact. However, based on observation, you can conclude what is most likely to be true.

Often evidence is so strong that you accept as fact, like if you jump from a tall building without any flight aids, you will fall and most likely die.

Evidence is very strong for evolution by natural selection. So much so, that many experiments throughout the world would not even work if this wasn't the case, and scientists in these fields accept as fact.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree