1. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:481 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Could you show me where it is proved a fact; as in a [b]demonstrable fact. And not a series of evidenced (historical evidences; factual individually) which lead to a theoretical conclusion.[/b]
    It is actually demonstrable fact, and been demonstrated a number of times. Like the underground mosquito, experiments with fruit flies, E. Coli, the Galápagos tortoise, etc.

Where evolution has actually been observed in a few generations.

EDIT: The only difference between this and a bird shltting on your car is that most people do not observe it every day. Many people in certain fields do.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you don't balk at the meaning of the word "theory"?
    No, only the word "balk".
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:49
    Originally posted by lausey
    It is actually demonstrable fact, and been demonstrated a number of times. Like the underground mosquito, experiments with fruit flies, E. Coli, the Galápagos tortoise, etc.

Where evolution has actually been observed in a few generations.
    Isn't that natural selection, within a species?
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 08:521 edit
    Isn't that natural selection, within a species?
    Not necessarily. Fruit flies have been demonstrated to be separated and evolved enough to diverge and no longer be attracted to each other. Given enough time, they effectively will become genetically different enough and a different species.

EDIT: Although I need to add that it is very difficult to define a species. It is quite subjective.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 09:13
    I believe that evolution being the origin of homo-sapiens remains a theory, not a scientific proven fact.
    The word you are looking for is hypothesis, but you are wrong.

Theory and fact are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Saying evolution is a theory is saying that evolution is an explanation for how
    the diversity of life came about. And that it has been experimentally verified.

Calling it a verified Fact is saying that it has been proven true.

Evolution is both a theory and a fact.

let me put it this way.

NONE of modern biology, or medicine, (to name but two) makes ANY sense without
    evolution. Both of those fields made huge advances since the advent of evolutionary
    theory.
    Everything you would expect to find if evolution were true has been found.
    And anything you might expect to find if evolution were not true has not been found.
    Plus as I say, it is a logical imperative that evolution occur in any system where parents
    pass on a blueprint to their children that contains errors/mutations.

Evolution is a FACT. It is the ONLY explanation for the diversity of life. It can be observed,
    and has been.

If you want to understand evolution and the evidence for it there are a host of good books that
    explain it in detail.

Whatever the media in your country say, or your preacher preaches.

There is NO scientific debate as to whether evolution is True.

There is of course debate over the precise details of how elements of evolution work,
    And of the precise course of evolution throughout history,
    But the question of if evolution is true has been settled.

(which is akin to asserting that it is a fact that there is a force that keeps you stuck to
    the surface of the earth (gravity) but we still debate the precise minutia of how it works.
    It says nothing about the existence or otherwise of gravity that we are not totally sure of
    how precisely it works.)

Saying otherwise marks you out as dishonest or ignorant.
    And in today's world, with the number of good sources of information on the topic, there is
    no good excuse for either.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 09:35
    .... but no one has conclusively proven that human evolved from apes.
    Humans are apes. It is true by definition that we evolved from apes, and continue to evolve as apes.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 11:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Have you ever heard anyone other than a Christian fundamentalist make that error?
    Yes.

Roughly the same approximate number of people as who identify Intellegent Design immediately as Theism.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 11:43
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Yes.
    Can you give a reference, or name, and state what religion they are, because I honestly don't believe you.

Roughly the same approximate number of people as who identify Intellegent Design immediately as Theism.
    I have never heard anyone make that error. Who have you heard do so?
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 15:362 edits
    Can you give a reference, or name, and state what religion they are, because I honestly don't believe you.

[b]Roughly the same approximate number of people as who identify Intellegent Design immediately as Theism.

I have never heard anyone make that error. Who have you heard do so?[/b]
    Watch me go over to the Science Forum and mention ID ?

Come on over and see what kind of reaction I get.
    Better yet, why don't you do it? I mean, since there is a clear distinction between ID and Theism which no science minded young person would ever confuse (Perish the thought).

Should result in a good science discussion with no mention at all of God. Right ?
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 15:48

Come on over and see what kind of reaction I get.
    Better yet, why don't you do it? I mean since there is a clear distinction between ID and Theism which no science minded young person would ever confuse (Perish the thought).
    Intelligent design posits a designer.
    This designer is usually supposed to be god (or other insert your favourite deity here).
    Indeed many of the ID proponents are Christians who are trying to get creationism into
    the classroom by trying to dress it up as science and only talk about a 'designer' without
    talking about who that 'designer' is. (and thus try to get around that pesky separation of
    church and state)

Seldom is this designer posited to be an advanced alien race going about the galaxy seeding
    it with life. Partly because the next response would be, 'right so where do they come from?'

Also given that ID proposes a designer from the outset, and then tries (and fails) to prove it,
    rather than following the scientific methodology, it can't be classed as science (with court case
    to 'prove' it).

It is clearly a religious idea.

This doesn't mean ID=Theism, ID is not a religion in of itself.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 15:542 edits

[b]Roughly the same approximate number of people as who identify Intellegent Design immediately as Theism.

I have never heard anyone make that error. Who have you heard do so?[/b]

The challenge is that I should demonstrate that someone would make Evolution equal to Atheism.

Whitehead protests. Now WHO would do such a thing ?

Best seller "The Blind Watchmaker" by new atheist Richard Dawkins would make a virtual equivocation between Evolution and Atheism.

And new atheists are working on society to make the equivocation stick.

All too innocent twhitehead would be shocked.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 16:01
    Should result in a good science discussion with no mention at all of God. Right ?
    responding to the edit.

ID is not science. You can use science to refute it, but it is evidently a theistic
    idea.

Coupled with its high profile use in a certain court case trying to get god into the
    classroom and yes, god is likely to get mentioned.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 16:12
    or a seagull tries to steal my chips it is obviously a demonstrable fact.
    they're called 'gulls' not 'seagulls'... and they shouldn't have to steal your chips, you should be giving them them for free. 😛

i've always wanted to add 'them them' in a sentence 😵
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 16:51
    Maybe I misunderstood you. Would I assume that an ID proponent is a theist? Yes, of course. But I would not equate ID to theism. I consider ID to be an attempt by theists to try and discredit evolution for religious reasons, and yes I would assume all proponents of ID are theists. But I fail to see how that is equivalent to:
    If what one means by Evolution is Atheism
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '11 16:54
    All too innocent twhitehead would be shocked.
    I would be shocked if you had risen to the challenge. Instead, we realise you were lying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree