1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '22 23:55
    There is injustice in the universe. About this, I think there is no dispute. But why do some people believe that the indisputable fact there is injustice in the universe means there MUST indisputably be some sort of supernatural justice?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '22 08:42
    @fmf said
    There is injustice in the universe. About this, I think there is no dispute. But why do some people believe that the indisputable fact there is injustice in the universe means there MUST indisputably be some sort of supernatural justice?
    I’m not sure how there can be injustice without a judicial benchmark.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '22 09:49
    @divegeester said
    I’m not sure how there can be injustice without a judicial benchmark.
    Well, unsolved crimes would be one "benchmark" of injustice.

People being executed or imprisoned for things like their ideas or thoughts or beliefs or ethnicity would be another benchmark.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Oct '22 14:14
    @fmf said
    Apparently a just universe doesn't register with you. You accept the idea of a universe where injustice exists,(indisputably) but your cognitive powers run into a wall imagining the existence of a just universe where evil doesn't exist.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Oct '22 15:49
    @josephw said
    Apparently a just universe doesn't register with you. You accept the idea of a universe where injustice exists,(indisputably) but your cognitive powers run into a wall imagining the existence of a just universe where evil doesn't exist.
    I’m sure everyone can ‘imagine’ a just universe just as they can imagine a dragon that breathes flowers instead of fire but none of the above are demonstrably in existence.
    Only people are unjust in their actions, the universe can only seem subjectively unjust.
    The asteroid that allegedly wiped out the dinosaurs left the field open for the evolution of mammals. From the dinosaurs subjective viewpoint the universe could be seen as unjust but in reality it was nothing personal.
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 Oct '22 20:241 edit
    @fmf said
    I would suggest that without a universally accepted set of laws, the definition of the term "injustice" is pretty hazy.

As the old saying goes: "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 00:19
    @mchill said
    I would suggest that without a universally accepted set of laws, the definition of the term "injustice" is pretty hazy.
    It's ok by me if you don't think there is injustice in the world or if your definition of injustice is hazy or if you can't answer my question without there being "universally accepted set of laws". It's ok. I have a knack of coming up with questions you can't or don't want to address.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 03:32
    @josephw said
    Your cognitive powers run into a wall imagining the existence of a just universe where evil doesn't exist.
    I don't have any "cognitive" problem whatsoever with imagining "the existence of a just universe where evil doesn't exist".
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 03:33
    @josephw said
    Apparently a just universe doesn't register with you.
    The question is why do you believe there MUST indisputably be some sort of supernatural justice?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 03:432 edits
    @josephw said
    You accept the idea of a universe where injustice exists

I accept that there are murderers and rapists, for example, that never get caught or prosecuted. I accept that "life sucks" in this way. Speculation about whether they are punished in some way after they die does not affect the fact that there are those who don't get caught or prosecuted and it "sucks".
  11. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 04:07
    @kevcvs57 said
    The asteroid that allegedly wiped out the dinosaurs left the field open for the evolution of mammals. From the dinosaurs subjective viewpoint the universe could be seen as unjust but in reality it was nothing personal.
    That's simplifying and putting it mildly. The history of our planet involves torture and hellish places. Add to the asteroid a decline of the food chain and volcanic activity that contributed to the dinosaurs' demise (https://www.space.com/dinosaur-extinction-volcanoes-aided-asteroid-impact). Reality isn't JUST confined to science
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 14:01
    @kevcvs57 said
    I’m sure everyone can ‘imagine’ a just universe just as they can imagine a dragon that breathes flowers instead of fire but none of the above are demonstrably in existence.
    Only people are unjust in their actions, the universe can only seem subjectively unjust.
    The asteroid that allegedly wiped out the dinosaurs left the field open for the evolution of mammals. From the d ...[text shortened]... rs subjective viewpoint the universe could be seen as unjust but in reality it was nothing personal.
    Well kev, my comment was directed at FMF's assertion that the universe is undisputedly unjust.

The universe, matter, has no mind with which to make unjust actions.

But there is a mind that directs the course of nature.

That's the dispute here.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 14:04
    @fmf said
    You accept the idea of a universe where injustice exists

I accept that there are murderers and rapists, for example, that never get caught or prosecuted. I accept that "life sucks" in this way. Speculation about whether they are punished in some way after they die does not affect the fact that there are those who don't get caught or prosecuted and it "sucks".
    But why do some people believe that the indisputable fact there is injustice in the universe means there MUST indisputably be some sort of supernatural justice?

If there was no justice, then you wouldn't know there is injustice.
  14. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 18:014 edits
    @fmf said
    It's ok by me if you don't think there is injustice in the world or if your definition of injustice is hazy or if you can't answer my question without there being "universally accepted set of laws". It's ok. I have a knack of coming up with questions you can't or don't want to address.
    It's ok by me if you don't think there is injustice in the world or if your definition of injustice is hazy

It's OK by me also, but that's only part of what I wrote. You're skipping over the part about laws. With laws, justice can be clearly defined, without them, the definition of justice (or injustice) is meaningless since there is no basis with which to judge anyone's actions. I know it's fun to cherry pick selected parts someone's post here, but sometimes you have to look at the whole post - even if it's not what you want to accept... 😏
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 20:421 edit
    It's unfortunate that humans are so articulate, particular, and elaborate in their objections to perceived injustices, when compared to little furry squeezebox kitties indicating their own objections.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree