1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '18 05:22
    When one is a child, a year feels like an eternity.

When one is a teenager, looking ahead a year can be tricky to get one's head round.

As one gets older, time seems to pass more quickly.

"They've grown up so quickly."

"Was it really ten years ago? It feels like it was only the year before last."

What activities, pursuits or phases of work or living life slow time down for you, and what have the effect of making time fly?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '18 05:58
    Originally posted by @fmf

When one is a teenager, looking ahead a year can be tricky to get one's head round.

What activities, pursuits or phases of work or living life slow time down for you, and what have the effect of making time fly?
    I predict time will slow to a near standstill for anyone who ventures into this thread and will remain at a near standstill for the duration of their time here.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '18 08:271 edit

Time is relative, both consciously and actually as Einstein demonstrated. Consciously speaking, time seems to pass slower the more one thinks about it, thinks about the now, rather than just being in the now, living it.

The age of the universe is one scientific “certainty” that I don’t understand. If an object travels away from another object at high speed, then time for the object moving at high speed, slows down, actually slows down. If we observe distant galaxies in the known universe at distance X from us and travelling away from us at velocity Y (which is forever increasing to phenomenal speeds), then time for those galaxies must be slowing relative to us where we experience time speeding up.

So can the age of the universe really be measured I wonder.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '18 08:32
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Time is relative, both consciously and actually as Einstein demonstrated. Consciously speaking seems to pass slower the more one thinks about it, thinks about the now, rather than just being in the now, living it.

The age of the universe is one scientific “certainty” that I don’t understand. If an object travels away from another object at high spee ...[text shortened]... we experience time speeding up.

So can the age of the universe really be measured I wonder.
    Are there things you do in your everyday life that seem to slow time down and other things that seem to cause time to fly?

[You don't have to reveal any information that's too personal that one or two of your fellow Christians might then try to troll you with.]
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '18 08:39
    Are there things you do in your everyday life that seem to slow time down and other things that seem to cause time to fly?

[You don't have to reveal any information that's too personal that one or two of your fellow Christians might then try to troll you with.]
    Preparing an important presentation for work is a torturous process for me and even though I may have several weeks to do it, the apparent time dilation between week 1 and presentation week can be astonishing. The result is procrastination and time slowing gradually increasing to time flying and an energy of anxiousness which drives progress.

Time speeds up when I’m on holiday, especially if I’m travelling.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 May '18 09:25
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Time is relative, both consciously and actually as Einstein demonstrated. Consciously speaking, time seems to pass slower the more one thinks about it, thinks about the now, rather than just being in the now, living it.
    My take on this phenomenon is that the speed of time to one observer is sensed as passing 'quickly' in direct proportion to the number of things the person is doing, or directing his attention to within that time. Ergo, a person spending 15 minutes simply sitting in a chair, perhaps waiting to see the doctor, senses time passing slowly if he has nothing to do or nothing to divert his attention to. On the other hand, if the same person has a magazine, or a TV to watch, or perhaps a cell phone to check email or surf the web, he feels that the time has passed much more quickly.

This is analogous to "A watched pot never boils", as one is presumably doing nothing but watching the pot, and time passes slowly. Whereas if you are preparing a meal, cutting and chopping and mixing and stirring, the water boils in due time.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '18 09:28
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    My take on this phenomenon is that the speed of time to one observer is sensed as passing 'quickly' in direct proportion to the number of things the person is doing, or directing his attention to within that time. Ergo, a person spending 15 minutes simply sitting in a chair, perhaps waiting to see the doctor, senses time passing slowly if he has nothing t ...[text shortened]... are preparing a meal, cutting and chopping and mixing and stirring, the water boils in due time.
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 May '18 09:29
    Walking there, and then getting there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree