1. SubscriberPianoman1online
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 07:12
    All deists and theists believe in God without any incontrovertible proof of his existence, though they seek to explain Jesus Christ’s incarnation as proof. It’s called Faith. They cannot imagine how such a cosmos could have been created without a divine hand.
    All atheists and agnostics deny the existence of God without any any incontrovertible proof of his non-existence. They can easily imagine how such a cosmos could have been created scientifically without a divine hand, and they recognise Christ’s historical existence, but cannot ascribe to him any deist incarnation.
    Theses two positions (with the exception of agnostics) are quite entrenched and are unlikely to be swayed by comments by the other side, though one lives in hope that in a flourishing debating forum with intelligent seekers after the truth, some should be willing to change their stance.
    There is, sadly, on this forum a small cabal (you know who I mean) who reduce every sincere and heart-felt plea for enlightenment on this endlessly fascinating and crucial subject into a childish ad hominem mud-slinging match that would embarrass any Year 7 debating club.
    That’s all I want to say.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 08:37
    @Pianoman1

Atheists and agnostics don't burn people at the stake for saying so-and-so was or wasn't God or put people on trial for saying the Earth moves.

Happy Saturnalia to you all.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 08:52
    @moonbus said
    @Pianoman1

Atheists and agnostics don't burn people at the stake for saying so-and-so was or wasn't God or put people on trial for saying the Earth moves.

Happy Saturnalia to you all.
    Some atheist dictators have put people to death for being religious.

The problem is thought control of any kind.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 09:09
    @pianoman1 said

All atheists and agnostics deny the existence of God without any any incontrovertible proof of his non-existence.
    I don't believe in flying elephants. Do I require incontrovertible proof of their non-existence?
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 09:17
    @bigdogg said
    Some atheist dictators have put people to death for being religious.

The problem is thought control of any kind.
    Agreed. Monism in all its forms leads to horror.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 09:19
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I don't believe in flying elephants. Do I require incontrovertible proof of their non-existence?
    TU from me, Ghost. Jonathan Miller once said he objected to the word "atheist" on the grounds that there isn't a word for not believing in fairies. 😆
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 10:01
    @pianoman1 said
    All deists and theists believe in God without any incontrovertible proof of his existence, though they seek to explain Jesus Christ’s incarnation as proof. It’s called Faith. They cannot imagine how such a cosmos could have been created without a divine hand.
    All atheists and agnostics deny the existence of God without any any incontrovertible proof of his non-existence. T ...[text shortened]... hominem mud-slinging match that would embarrass any Year 7 debating club.
    KellyJay may or may not have an issue with your assertions and may or may not wish to state them depending on whether or not he’s in an intellectual pinch elsewhere.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 10:05
    @pianoman1 said
    All atheists and agnostics deny the existence of God without any any incontrovertible proof of his non-existence.
    I find myself mostly interested in the origin and nature of morality, rather than looking for "incontrovertible proof" of anything.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 13:31
    @fmf said
    I find myself mostly interested in the origin and nature of morality, rather than looking for "incontrovertible proof" of anything.
    The origin of morality is buried in the mists of time. I'm satisfied if we have functioning moral principles now.

If some people think their moral compasses will go seriously haywire and they're liable to go running amok in the streets murdering people with axes unless somebody somewhere has a proof how everything began, I can only say that I do not wish to share a house with such persons.
  10. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 14:25
    @Pianoman1
    calm down
    cthulhu and the comet's daughter are to be wed in the annihilation
    you should have received yer invite by now
    bring a towel
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Dec '22 11:33
    @divegeester said
    KellyJay may or may not have an issue with your assertions and may or may not wish to state them depending on whether or not he’s in an intellectual pinch elsewhere.
    👎
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    30 Dec '22 02:25
    @pianoman1 said
    Thank goodness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree