1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    04 Sep '16 15:341 edit
    Top Muslim Cleric Calls for Ban On Chess Because It’s ‘A Waste of Time And Encourages Gambling

    Probably true for some people but not all people on the waste of time. But I don't get the gambling part?

    http://jewfacts.com/top-muslim-cleric-calls-for-ban-on-chess-because-its-a-waste-of-time-and-encourages-gambling/
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    04 Sep '16 15:42
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Top Muslim Cleric Calls for Ban On Chess Because It’s ‘A Waste of Time And Encourages Gambling

    Probably true for some people but not all people on the waste of time. But I don't get the gambling part?

    http://jewfacts.com/top-muslim-cleric-calls-for-ban-on-chess-because-its-a-waste-of-time-and-encourages-gambling/
    I have $20 dollars here that says this is a lie.

    Any takers?
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    04 Sep '16 16:091 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I have $20 dollars here that says this is a lie.

    Any takers?
    If you google it is showing up on a lot of sites.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3410448/Now-Saudi-Arabia-bans-CHESS-Muslim-cleric-outlaws-game-waste-time-encourages-gambling.html
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    04 Sep '16 16:22
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    If you google it is showing up on a lot of sites.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3410448/Now-Saudi-Arabia-bans-CHESS-Muslim-cleric-outlaws-game-waste-time-encourages-gambling.html
    Critical thinking skills seem to be shunned in Islam.

    It is just self preservation on his part.
  5. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    04 Sep '16 16:251 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    If you google it is showing up on a lot of sites.
    The modern news industry consists of passing around stories with catchy headlines. The factual content of the story is irrelevant. Clicks are what pays. Readers like you that love catchy headlines just perpetuate the problem.
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    04 Sep '16 16:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    Critical thinking skills seem to be shunned in Islam.
    Are you sure? I interact with dozens of Muslims with critical thinking skills which are evidently far, far superior to yours just about every single day of my working life. I'm not sure what intellectual qualifications you think you have that enable you to generalize about what's happening "in Islam". Perish the thought that being a far right misanthrope, pumped up on speed-read screeds on confirmation-bias hate blogs, and access to this message board, are the only qualifications you have. 🙄
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78558
    07 Sep '16 04:46
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Top Muslim Cleric Calls for Ban On Chess Because It’s ‘A Waste of Time And Encourages Gambling

    Probably true for some people but not all people on the waste of time. But I don't get the gambling part?

    http://jewfacts.com/top-muslim-cleric-calls-for-ban-on-chess-because-its-a-waste-of-time-and-encourages-gambling/
    People bet on games.
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    07 Sep '16 05:02
    This was discussed on the General Forum earlier this year I think.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35529
    07 Sep '16 08:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are you sure? I interact with dozens of Muslims with critical thinking skills which are evidently far, far superior to yours just about every single day of my working life. I'm not sure what intellectual qualifications you think you have that enable you to generalize about what's happening "in Islam". Perish the thought that being a far right misanthrope, pumped ...[text shortened]... tion-bias hate blogs, and access to this message board, are the only qualifications you have. 🙄
    I'd be interested in hearing what you think your qualifications are.
  10. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    07 Sep '16 08:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'd be interested in hearing what you think your qualifications are.
    Qualifications for what? Working with Muslims? Or for not reducing "Islam" to a thing that can be subjected to a ludicrously condescending generalization.

    If you agree with whodey's Trump-like assertion that "Critical thinking skills seem to be shunned in Islam" then just say so.
  11. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    07 Sep '16 09:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    Qualifications for what? Working with Muslims? Or for not reducing "Islam" to a thing that can be subjected to a ludicrously condescending generalization.

    If you agree with whodey's Trump-like assertion that "Critical thinking skills seem to be shunned in Islam" then just say so.
    Had some said that Christians lacked critical thinking skills would you go out of your way to call it a ludicrously condescending generalization?
  12. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    07 Sep '16 13:05
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Had some said that Christians lacked critical thinking skills would you go out of your way to call it a ludicrously condescending generalization?
    Of course. I have lived - and live - among Christians all my life. Many of them have greater critical thinking skills than me, and certainly superior to the ones you display here. I have said more or less the same thing to you before - within about the last week or so - in response to more or less the same question. I said it directly to you. It was a direct response to what was, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same question. Do you really not remember?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    07 Sep '16 16:09
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Top Muslim Cleric Calls for Ban On Chess Because It’s ‘A Waste of Time And Encourages Gambling

    Probably true for some people but not all people on the waste of time. But I don't get the gambling part?

    http://jewfacts.com/top-muslim-cleric-calls-for-ban-on-chess-because-its-a-waste-of-time-and-encourages-gambling/
    I imagine Saudi grandmasters will beat a hasty retreat to Dubai.
  14. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    55282
    10 Sep '16 19:43
    I love you guys discussing the merits of critical thinking and at the same time doing exactly the opposite by constantly attacking each other rather than the subject at hand.

    Bloody morons. The lot of you.
Back to Top