1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 14:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    Whether you are daft or disingenuous, trying to explain anything further would be futile.

Again, you need to come to terms that Jesus is the most influential person that has ever lived. Ignoring it and trying to compare him to stuffed animals only makes you look like a bigger fool than you are.
    I would be more than willing to entertain the possibility that the story concerning JC has played a bigger role in the history of humankind than any other story (though I'm not sure about this, maybe it's been investigated by someone) and I have no problem accepting that the character of JC is based on one or more reallife non-supernatural people.

Makes the comparison with stuffed animals no less useful.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 17:13
    Originally posted by houdini3000
    We need a Spirituality FAQ to nip these sorts of questions in the bud.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 20:541 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    We need a Spirituality FAQ to nip these sorts of questions in the bud.
    You mean an Atheism FAQ, yes? I would support that.

What I wouldn't support is a Spirituality FAQ written by the atheists.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 21:19
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Because a lot of bad things happen in the world because people believe in these fairy tales so it's only logical that we attempt to show people that they've been brainwashed. If you had an 18-year old child who still believed his stuffed animals were alive, would you not rather he realized that's not actually true?
    ...would you not rather he realized that's not actually true?
    That's a lot of knots.
  5. Joined
    16 May '13
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 02:11
    Would you spend your time and money or even go to university for 20 years(Richard Dawkins) just to argue about someone you are so certain does not exist.Taking away religion and god will not ride the world of death and suffering and because there is death and suffering that does not mean god no longer exists because of it.Death and sufferings are the meanings why people come to Jesus and/or God.The belief in god makes us better people and arguing against someone you don't believe exists only makes atheists look stupid.would you spend time and money to argue against a child who believes in the tooth fairy?Atheists lives are burdened by religion and atheists achieve nothing from arguing against God.You don't make the world a better place by arguing or complaining about death and suffering you must do something about it.Why don't you atheists put money and resources into places like Africa or the slums of Mumbai Rather than use religion as a scape goat for your world problems.Jesus said "If a person strikes you on one check tern the other and let him Hit you again" "Give all your money to the poor than you shall be perfect in the eyes off god" "forgive others for your father in heaven will forgive you" "The poor,weak,lamed,disabled,crippled,diseased,depressed, must be placed on the highest chair when you invite them to you house" "All doors must be open for those that have non" "it is easy for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven for the love of money is the rot of all evil" "Unless you are born again and humbled as little children you shall by no means enter heaven" so thank you for calling Christians little children who believe in fairy tales.You say that you want us to grow up from fairy tales,the teachings of Jesus are what we believe in and we believe that Jesus is god the creator,You say we still believe in fairy tales,fine then that's OK id like to see you try and follow these teachings and much more.Dont try to destroy are morality towards others by getting ride of religion.
  6. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 02:16
    They are trying to fill that spiritual hole with sarcassum. It is the same as an alcoholic getting drunk to find his cure.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 05:48
    Would you spend your time and money or even go to university for 20 years(Richard Dawkins) just to argue about someone you are so certain does not exist.Taking away religion and god will not ride the world of death and suffering and because there is death and suffering that does not mean god no longer exists because of it.Death and sufferings are the mea ...[text shortened]... ings and much more.Dont try to destroy are morality towards others by getting ride of religion.
    I hope that was "cut n paste" otherwise you wasted a lot of typing!
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 16:14
    Would you spend your time and money or even go to university for 20 years(Richard Dawkins) just to argue about someone you are so certain does not exist.Taking away religion and god will not ride the world of death and suffering and because there is death and suffering that does not mean god no longer exists because of it.Death and sufferings are the mea ...[text shortened]... ings and much more.Dont try to destroy are morality towards others by getting ride of religion.
    Atheists feel that if they were somehow able to eliminate religion from the face of the earth that the world would be a better place. That might be true if 'making the world a better place' meant giving Satan a free hand in the ruination of humanity and far more souls getting snuffed out after Judgment. I'm sure the AntiChrist will agree once he comes to power and the only religion allowed will be worshipping him. Ironically, I imagine all the atheists will be signing up for that in droves, especially the ones who always say they would believe if God 'proved' himself to them, and especially once it's clear that the deal is 'worship me or die'.

Why is it that the most strident arguments for God are given with horrible spelling and grammar? It only makes people believe that Christians are all ignorant. I feel a new topic coming on.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 16:33
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Atheists feel that if they were somehow able to eliminate religion from the face of the earth that the world would be a better place. That might be true if 'making the world a better place' meant giving Satan a free hand in the ruination of humanity and far more souls getting snuffed out after Judgment. I'm sure the AntiChrist will agree once he comes to ...[text shortened]... ? It only makes people believe that Christians are all ignorant. I feel a new topic coming on.
    Satan doesn't exist.

However if your ludicrous comic book apocalypse ever did occur, I really
    can't see most atheists siding with God or Satan.
    I could see us kicking both their asses though.

Also, the world would be a better place [better not perfect] if we could [largely]
    eradicate the sloppy and irrational thinking that leads to religion [among other things].

Religions are symptomatic of the larger problem of irrationality, and faith based beliefs.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 16:34
    Look up "Wall OF Text"...
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 18:10
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Satan doesn't exist.

However if your ludicrous comic book apocalypse ever did occur, I really
    can't see most atheists siding with God or Satan.
    I could see us kicking both their asses though.

Also, the world would be a better place [better not perfect] if we could [largely]
    eradicate the sloppy and irrational thinking that leads to religion ...[text shortened]... ].

Religions are symptomatic of the larger problem of irrationality, and faith based beliefs.
    We are tasked with having faith.

Sloppy and irrational thinking? You're the one requiring 'proof'.

What if someone came along and 'proved' it to your satisfaction? What then? You say you'd believe it then. Well, that is the exact time and place to *not* believe it. God doesn't need to be 'proved'. Proper belief in God, faith if you will, comes before proof. Anyone who 'proves' it to you is not God.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 18:20
    We are tasked with having faith.

Sloppy and irrational thinking? You're the one requiring 'proof'.

What if someone came along and 'proved' it to your satisfaction? What then? You say you'd believe it then. Well, that is the exact time and place to *not* believe it. God doesn't need to be 'proved'. Proper belief in God, faith if you will, comes before proof. Anyone who 'proves' it to you is not God.
    Circular argument.

You have faith that your god exists and requires belief based on faith.

That argument could be applied to ANYTHING.

Rationality REQUIRES evidence for belief in propositions.

Faith is thus by definition irrational.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 19:40
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Circular argument.

You have faith that your god exists and requires belief based on faith.

That argument could be applied to ANYTHING.

Rationality REQUIRES evidence for belief in propositions.

Faith is thus by definition irrational.
    All God requires of us is faith. Even the tiny bit of faith managed by the tiniest mustard seed is enough. But you can't even let yourself be bothered to that miniscule degree, for the One who is responsible for everything you can see around you.

Your monstrous ego requires 'evidence'. After all that has been done for you, you actually think you deserve 'evidence' before you can have even the faith of the mustard seed.

I can't imagine my head getting even half that big.

We're talking GOD here. Faith > evidence.

We're not trying to find out who killed Jimmy Hoffa. Evidence is not required. All you have to do for God is to believe in Him. That is ALL that His bargain requires. But you can't even give Him that, after all He's done for you.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 19:55
    All God requires of us is faith. Even the tiny bit of faith managed by the tiniest mustard seed is enough. But you can't even let yourself be bothered to that miniscule degree, for the One who is responsible for everything you can see around you.

Your monstrous ego requires 'evidence'. After all that has been done for you, you actually think you deser ...[text shortened]... s ALL that His bargain requires. But you can't even give Him that, after all He's done for you.
    God hasn't done anything for me, god doesn't exist.

You are failing to understand my position quite spectacularly.

Also your god doesn't 'just' require belief now does he... anyhow...

This is what this argument looks like to me [and probably atheists in general]

I see no evidence whatsoever for the existence of any gods.

As I don't believe in things for which I have no evidence, I don't believe in gods.

YOU [theists in general] claim that there are gods of various kinds and say that
    they want me to believe in them and to worship them.

I then say, but I see no evidence that they exist, I have no reason to suppose that
    what YOU [theists in general] are telling me is true. And I have plenty of reasons to
    suppose that what you are telling me is not true.

IF your [theists in general] god/s want me to believe in them then they [the god/s]
    should prove [to those they want to believe] that they exist.

Otherwise I have absolutely no means of telling which, if any, of the theists telling
    me that their god/s exist is actually right.

I am not claiming to be special, or demanding special treatment.

ALL your arguments presuppose that your god exists and is the only option.

I'm sitting here looking at [at least] hundreds of religions and god concepts with no reason
    to suppose any is true, or more valid than any other.

Why should I give YOU and YOUR god concept special treatment?

Give me an argument that doesn't already assume your god exists.
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 20:171 edit

Your monstrous ego requires 'evidence'. After all that has been done for you, you actually think you deser ...[text shortened]... s ALL that His bargain requires. But you can't even give Him that, after all He's done for you.
    As a Christian, you claim that not only do you know who created everything in the universe, but that he will listen to you (prayers) and occasionally do favors for you (answer prayers). It is incomprehensible that someone like that has the audacity to accuse someone else of having a "monstrous ego."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree