1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 12:23
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Does it read better now?
    Yes, thanks. It's highly questionable that a soldier would be fighting alongside total strangers, since soldiers tend to operate in units. The notion of esprit de corps comes into play. However, the concept of "family" might also be extended to all soldiers within the same army. (We should consult Sasquatch on this issue).
  2. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 14:37
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Yes, thanks. It's highly questionable that a soldier would be fighting alongside total strangers, since soldiers tend to operate in units. The notion of esprit de corps comes into play. However, the concept of "family" might also be extended to all soldiers within the same army. (We should consult Sasquatch on this issue).
    Do you love your wife for sex? Do you love you kids for the "virtue" of it? Oh, I forgot... virtue has no worth to you.

I suppose you'll only understand this if you're married, with kids - but ultimately, Hal is right - science can't explain love in all its forms.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 14:40
    Originally posted by RatX
    Do you love your wife for sex? Do you love you kids for the "virtue" of it? Oh, I forgot... virtue has no worth to you.

I suppose you'll only understand this if you're married, with kids - but ultimately, Hal is right - science can't explain love in all its forms.
    I think you misunderstand me when I say that virtue has no "intrinsic" value, but is relational in nature (and should be a verb).
  4. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 14:41
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I think you misunderstand me when I say that virtue has no "intrinsic" value, but is relational in nature (and should be a verb).
    ok...
  5. Colorado
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 18:59
    Originally posted by echecero
    Why we mostly have scientific theories as opposed to what other option?
    As for a "collection of unsubstantiated claims," that's just silly. Every theory is substantiated by at least one experiment; not to say "proven," but if there wasn't at least some evidence, it would be a hypothesis.
    As for "the more they discover, the more they realize how muc ...[text shortened]... k, "That's why we mostly have scientific theories"...would you rather we had more hypotheses?
    If you consider one experiment enough to substantiate a thoery, then how do you explain some of the near death examples I mentioned previously?

The problem with many scientists is that they are not opened minded to the spiritual. If you accept some evidence and reject other evidence, it becomes pretty easy to paint whatever picture you like.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 19:00
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    If you consider one experiment enough to substantiate a thoery, then how do you explain some of the near death examples I mentioned previously?

The problem with many scientists is that they are not opened minded to the spiritual. If you accept some evidence and reject other evidence, it becomes pretty easy to paint whatever picture you like.
    Scientists admit up front that they only paint certain sorts of pictures.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree