1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 01:27
    Originally posted by BlackBeer
    Can we defeat the "religion of death" or will they

eventualy rule the world.

Let me paint you a grimm picture :

All women dressed in burkas, women stoned for flirting with a man, girls kept

stupid and only good for making children. A world depreved of music, laughter,

play (chess is forbidden by the taliban) and the light of intelectual freedom.

Is this a possibility or just a bad dream ?
    What is a "bad dream" is the level of ignorance and fear required for someone to portray Islam as you have here.

It is akin to creating a portrayal of Christianity based on the beliefs and practices of the KKK.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 04:42
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [It is akin to creating a portrayal of Christianity based on the beliefs and practices of the KKK.[/b]
    Pot meet kettle.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 15:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    Pot meet kettle.
    Not sure how this fits with what I said in my post. Care to elaborate?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 19:31
    Not sure how this fits with what I said in my post. Care to elaborate?
    The poster is demonizing all of Islam and you do the same with Christianity.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 19:50
    The poster is demonizing all of Islam and you do the same with Christianity.
    The portrayal of Islam in the OP is based on the beliefs and practices of a select few which is akin to portraying Christianity based on the beliefs and practices of the KKK. The OP demonizes Islam based on this false portrayal.

I point out where Christianity follows the teachings of those other than Jesus. I also speak against the hypocrisy of Christians such as yourself. How is that based on a false portrayal of Christianity?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 19:53
    The portrayal of Islam in the OP is based on the beliefs and practices of a select few which is akin to portraying Christianity based on the beliefs and practices of the KKK. The OP demonizes Islam based on this false portrayal.

I point out where Christianity follows the teachings of those other than Jesus. I also speak against the hypocrisy of Christians such as yourself. How is that based on a false portrayal of Christianity?
    What about the hypocrisy in Islam? Is there any? Do they follow the teachings of Jesus since they proport to do so?

In addition, how do I not follow the teachings of Christ? Is it because I refuse to OK homosexual unions Biblically? If so, don't those in Islam also disapprove? Why all the attention on Christiandom TOO?
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 20:14
    What about the hypocrisy in Islam? Is there any? Do they follow the teachings of Jesus since they proport to do so?

In addition, how do I not follow the teachings of Christ? Is it because I refuse to OK homosexual unions Biblically? If so, don't those in Islam also disapprove? Why all the attention on Christiandom TOO?
    You seemed to not comprehend the OP or my response to it. So I tried to explain it to you. Now it seems you were not able to comprehend my explanation either and have elected to go off on a couple of tangents. What do you do, pick out a couple of words that you recognize and formulate responses based on them? There's so much more to comprehending the written word. Based on this discussion as well as several others, it seems like no matter how much things are explained to you, you keep getting lost. You should really consider taking a class.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 22:22

The majority of Christians, I believe, repudiate this kind of action. News reports suggest that bout half the members of this particular church have left in protest. Mainstream churches have also condemned it. The Vatican yesterday even expressed outrage. Here is a press release from the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue:

The Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue received with great concern the news of the proposed "Koran Burning Day" on the occasion of the Anniversary of the September 11th tragic terrorist attacks in 2001 which resulted in the loss of many innocent lives and considerable material damage.

These deplorable acts of violence, in fact, cannot be counteracted by an outrageous and grave gesture against a book considered sacred by a religious community. Each religion, with its respective sacred books, places of worship and symbols, has the right to respect and protection. We are speaking about the respect to be accorded the dignity of the person who is an adherent of that religion and his/her free choice in religious matters.

The reflection which necessarily should be fostered on the occasion of the remembrance of September 11th would be, first of all, to offer our deep sentiments of solidarity with those who were struck by these horrendous terrorist attacks. To this feeling of solidarity we join our prayers for them and their loved ones who lost their lives.

Each religious leader and believer is also called to renew the firm condemnation of all forms of violence, in particular those committed in the name of religion. Pope John Paul II affirmed: "Recourse to violence in the name of religious belief is a perversion of the very teachings of the major religions" (Address to the new Ambassador of Pakistan, 16 December 1999). His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI, similarly expressed, "…violence as a response to offences can never be justified, for this type of response is incompatible with the sacred principles of religion..." (Address of His Holiness Benedict XVI, to the new Ambassador of Morocco, 6 February 2006).

Don't let the activities of this deranged pastor, who commands a very tiny community, form your opinion about Christianity in all.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 22:43
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    The majority of Christians, I believe, repudiate this kind of action. News reports suggest that bout half the members of this particular church have left in protest. Mainstream churches have also condemned it. The Vatican yesterday even expressed outrage. Here is a press release from the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue:

[quote]The Pontific ...[text shortened]... pastor, who commands a very tiny community, form your opinion about Christianity in all.
    Seems likely that you meant your post for a different thread.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 00:02
    Seems likely that you meant your post for a different thread.
    Dear dear me. Not sure what just happened.
  11. London
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 00:301 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Sounds just like Christianity 500 years ago.
    Umm... no. Check your history.

(You could argue that Christianity 500 years ago was just as bad - but you'd have to give very different examples.)

EDIT: Here's the list of charges from the original post:

"All women dressed in burkas"

Not the case in 16th century Christendom. But then women weren't wearing bikinis either.

"women stoned for flirting with a man"

Nope.

"girls kept stupid and only good for making children"

There may be some argument here. But certainly aristocratic women got an education. And women of lower classes were not illiterate either.

"A world depreved of music, laughter"

Taverner? Byrd? Shakespeare?

"play (chess is forbidden by the taliban) and the light of intelectual freedom"

I've never heard of games forbidden during the Renaissance. Again, an argument may be made about intellectual freedom (re: Galileo) but not about intellectual activity.
  12. DEEP IN THE WOODS
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 18:57
    I think they should eat them all.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 09:22
    Originally posted by BigBadBear
    I think they should eat them all.
    Dude, I'm lost. Who should eat who?
    (This has been THE most confusing thread, goind from black beer to the bad bear...ugh!!)
    ..maybe its just a bears response-"Eat 'em!!"
  14. Standard memberyavash
    lovin the sea breeze
    Up North!
    Moves
    18 Sep '10 15:48

your ignorance concerning Islam is shocking

fact:

the taliban does not equal Islam
    most Muslims hate the taliban
    chess is played most Islamic countries
    not all women wear burkas
    and christians and all other religions can be as narrow minded and oppressive as extreme Islam
    Muslims can be open minded, easy going, fun and non-judgemental

.... can you?
  15. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 23:18
    Maybe in the future religion will just be history, something the unenlightened believed in the bad old days before the universal truth of there is no god was accepted

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree