1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 18:38
    There are things I like about this tree. It is in the middle of a one-way roundabout that gives access to the local 9-hole public course, but that isn't what I mean. This is a rural western conservative christian locale, and that is why I'm surprised.

It's not much of a tree, I guess. Stunted, with some sort of berry I don't think we should eat. But it is labeled as a wishing tree. The neighborhood has two elementary schools, a junior high, an alternative school, an explosively growing college, some retirement communities and a lot of homeless people. Just a few blocks from a thriving downtown and a growing industrial strip, and of course dozens of little churches and some big ones too.

And people toss wishes, all sorts of people and all day long. It isn't about the tree.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 18:42
    Originally posted by @apathist
    It isn't about the tree.
    I’m not sure what this is about.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 20:43
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I’m not sure what this is about.
    Do you suppose that people are thinking the tree is magic and will grant wishes?
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 21:00
    Do you suppose that people are thinking the tree is magic and will grant wishes?
    No different sir than people making a wish before blowing out the candles on a birthday cake. Few I suspect believe such an action will cause the wish to come true. Just a piece of transitory fun.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 21:00
    People want to believe.

If Religion is the opium of the people, wishing wells and such are their E.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 19:13
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    People want to believe.
    You are getting close. Listen! NONE of the people believe the tree is magic.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 19:20
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    No different sir than people making a wish before blowing out the candles on a birthday cake. Few I suspect believe such an action will cause the wish to come true. Just a piece of transitory fun.
    Yes! But this isn't about hope versus faith. It isn't about fun either. It is about the power of human intention.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 19:41
    Yes.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    17 Nov '17 19:03
    Yes.
    Your jesus is a wishing tree. Kinda tainted though, since you don't give appropriate credit. The wishing tree doesn't solve our problems, and jesus doesn't solve them either. We solve them.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 00:03
    Your jesus is a wishing tree. Kinda tainted though, since you don't give appropriate credit. The wishing tree doesn't solve our problems, and jesus doesn't solve them either. We solve them.
    Is this about the tree now?
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 17:07
    Is this about the tree now?
    No one believes in the tree. Well, maybe everyone does.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 18:01
    Are you people embarrassed because you make wishes? All whistling and avoiding eye contact.

It helps to have sense of humor, I guess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree