1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '08 01:123 edits
    Here is a little bit of trivia for ya. Which team in the NFL has gone 0-6 in their entire history 8 times? That would be the Cincinnati Bengals. From what I heard on TV today, the next closest NFL team has gone 0-6 only 4 times. Here is the breakdown.

1978 (0-8)
    1991 (0-8)
    1993 (0-10)
    1994 (0-8)
    2002 (0-7)
    2008 (0-7 and counting)

If you notice, the current owner of the Bengals, Mike Brown, took over in 1990. This infamous record of 0-6 starts belongs to him and him alone save the one year in 1978. He is by far the worst owner, not just in the NFL, but in professional sports in general.

In 1993 I thought the Bengals had a chance to go 0-16. To my knowledge this has never been done, but I think with the recent injury to Carson Palmer it is within their grasp. What worries me, however, is that they play the Texans next Sunday. It was the Texans, who were at the time a first year expansion team, that broke the 0-10 skid into infamy in 1993. The funny part was, was that in 1993 the Texans were favored in that game to beat the Bengals even though it was their first year in existence. LOL. Mike Brown was said to have gone into a rage about this fact and then had the coach guarantee a win against them before the game.

All I can say is keep the dream alive for 0-16. I say if you win, win big and if you loose, loose big. You can do it Mikey!!!
  2. Berks.
    Moves
    20 Oct '08 06:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    He is by far the worst owner, not just in the NFL, but in professional sports in general.
    Hardly. The side might not have the greatest playing record, but at least they still remain solvent. I can think of far too many who have run a club into the ground to the point of threatening a clubs future.
  3. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    20 Oct '08 08:561 edit
    Here is a little bit of trivia for ya. Which team in the NFL has gone 0-6 in their entire history 8 times? That would be the Cincinnati Bengals. From what I heard on TV today, the next closest NFL team has gone 0-6 only 4 times. Here is the breakdown.

1978 (0-8)
    1991 (0-8)
    1993 (0-10)
    1994 (0-8)
    2002 (0-7)
    2008 (0-7 and counting)

If you notice, ...[text shortened]... alive for 0-16. I say if you win, win big and if you loose, loose big. You can do it Mikey!!!
    Point of reference.

The Tampa bay buccaneers opened their inaugural and second year 0-24, and had 10 years straight of sub .450 seasons.

Every week had announcements made such as "never ran a kickoff return for a touchdown" (snapped last year) "Can't win out west" (snapped in their superbowl win) 'Can't win in sub 40 degree weather" (snapped 4 years ago in of all places, Green Bay).

I know it always falls to the top, but that is a team in desperate need of rebuilding. GM, Head Coach, and a multitiude of key players.
    To many cases of me first and not enough for the team.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '08 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    Point of reference.

The Tampa bay buccaneers opened their inaugural and second year 0-24, and had 10 years straight of sub .450 seasons.

Every week had announcements made such as "never ran a kickoff return for a touchdown" (snapped last year) "Can't win out west" (snapped in their superbowl win) 'Can't win in sub 40 degree weather" (snapped 4 yea ...[text shortened]... nd a multitiude of key players.
    Rebuilding a GM? Mike Brown does not see the need for a GM. As for a coach, they have come and gone with little effect. The bottom line is that the only continuing theme for this team is Mike Brown.

I did not know about the 0-24 string for Tampa, however, I think it a worthy goal to attain. 0-24 here we come!!!!

As for their 10 years of straigh sub .500 ball, the Bungals have them beat by leaps and bounds.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 15:302 edits
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    Point of reference.

Every week had announcements made such as "never ran a kickoff return for a touchdown" (snapped last year) "Can't win out west" (snapped in their superbowl win) 'Can't win in sub 40 degree weather" (snapped 4 yea ...[text shortened]... nd a multitiude of key players.
    As I recall, then coach Sam Wyche lobbied to have the Buccaneers uniforms changed. He said something like, "How intimidating can you be when the side of your helmet has a picture of a guy in a floppy hat with a feather sticking out of it that's winking at you?" The team didn't heed his advice, kept losing, fired Wyche, changed the uniforms a season later and began to win shortly thereafter. To bring things full circle in this thread, Wyche started with the Buccaneers after being fired from the Bengals by Brown after the '91 season.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 21:51

1978 (0-8)
    1991 (0-8)
    1993 (0-10)
    1994 (0-8)
    2002 (0-7)
    2008 (0-7 and counting)

If you notice, ...[text shortened]... alive for 0-16. I say if you win, win big and if you loose, loose big. You can do it Mikey!!!
    Despite your whining to the contrary, the Lions have been the worst team in this century.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '08 11:223 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Despite your whining to the contrary, the Lions have been the worst team in this century.
    Indeed!! I was looking at the "no win teams" and the only two left were the Lions and Bungals. All I can say is, the Lions now have a little competition. Who knows, maybe the Bungs can one day lay claim to being the biggest loser.

I think the biggest difference here is, is that Lions fans are accustomed to losing as where Bengal fans had the opportunity to go to two Super Bowls under Paul Brown. In effect, we had been accustomed to winning and then his son Mikey took over and have not seen the light of day since. Perhaps had the Bungs never had such a golden era there would not be any whinners such as myself, rather, we would just see it as business as usual and learn to ignore them altogether.

Then again, it may also have to do with the fact that NO team has had more 0-6 starts than the Bungs. The carnage since Mikey took over the team has been nonstop save one season. going back to 1991.

Edit: Is it only by chance that the two worst franchises are represented by member of the feline family, namely, a lion and a bengal?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '08 12:07
    Does anyone know what it means to be "Bungalized"?

Of course, I can't take credit for this term nor can I take credit for the definition for it that I am about to share. It was posted on another site dedicated to enraged Bengal fans.

"Being bungalized is clearly not all all-or-nothing phenomenon. Its rather a smooth continuum from the mildest to the most severe manifestation. While any effort to divide it into discrete stages is necessarily arbitrary, intrepid diagnosticians might find it helpful to do so. For our purpose, let us consider five stages.

Stage 1: Trepidation

Unless a player has been living in a cave somewhere, he has heard about the historical futility of the franchise. This understandably leads to concern in a number of areas, such as long-term career development and prospects for the post-season. While wary, our player in Stage 1 Bungalization nevertheless "hopes for the best" and takes a "wait and see attitude". You will note that all Bengals players, by definition, are at least at this initial stage.

Stage 2: Evaluation

Our player looks around and starts to notice substandard practices. Comapared to what his buddies on other teams say, the coaching staff is small. So is the personnel department. The trainers seem to work with less sophisticated methods and equipment. Player services in general are lacking. And some of his teammates seem to easily get away with bad behavior. At Stage 2 bungalization, our player has not made any severe judgments, but this sense of discomfort is growing. Ever so slightly, his performance and development slip as his focus is compromised.

Stage 3: Endurement

Our player starts to see the negative outcomes (all involving losing). Many are a suprise because "on paper" the team is supposed to be much better. He notices the pattern repeating itself, and his sense of discomfort grows. At Stage 3 bungalization, however, our player is holding steadfast to hope. "Next year", he believes, "things can only get better". But while he is in waiting mode, it is becoming steadily more difficult to play up to his ability.

Stage 4: Recognition.

Now it comes to pass that our player sees the light. The team is dysfunctional to the core. Management is in a state of denial and shows no inclination of ever "getting it". He wants out, but he knows the team is peculiar in how it handles such situations. At Stage 4 bungalization, he begins to feel trapped, and his game performance becomes noticeably inconsistent.

Stage 5: Tanking it.

Finally our player has given up. He may not know it consciously, but deep down he knows his efforts are futile. It's impossible to look forward to anything, and even offseason mini camps are anticipated with dread. Stage 5 bungalization leads to huge and consistent drops in performance, but our player might be on of the favored few who is not held accountable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree