This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    12 Mar '07 10:55
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    but not as bad as in South Africa where they really mean it.
    Bull.
    If you want to generalise, paint everyone with the same broad stroke please.
  3. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    12 Mar '07 18:09
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Bull.
    If you want to generalise, paint everyone with the same broad stroke please.
    If you honestly tell me that the majority of white Sth Africans.. particularly Afrikaners are not racist towards blacks then I'm sorry but in my limited experience the whites have a dominant air of superiority over blacks. We have an awful lot of white sth africans out here.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    13 Mar '07 12:041 edit
    If you honestly tell me that the majority of white Sth Africans.. particularly Afrikaners are not racist towards blacks then I'm sorry but in my limited experience the whites have a dominant air of superiority over blacks. We have an awful lot of white sth africans out here.
    Sure, there are the bad apples (as there are in ANY country), but most have been brought back to ground level here after the end of apartheid.
    Please, don't use ex-pats as the example for SA, because many of those who left are the hard-line racists who wouldn't live under a 'black' government. Again, this is a bit of a generalization, but in my experience is true.
  5. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    13 Mar '07 19:22
    Sure, there are the bad apples (as there are in ANY country), but most have been brought back to ground level here after the end of apartheid.
    Please, don't use ex-pats as the example for SA, because many of those who left are the hard-line racists who wouldn't live under a 'black' government. Again, this is a bit of a generalization, but in my experience is true.
    I try not to generalise and don't like to stereo type but but I work in a tourist filled shop and many sa's have the same attitude to non whites that I recall relatives having that lived in the late colonial Ceylon and India period where they had "house staff" and a strong air of ruling class.. It's something that will take a long time to lose. Though most countries have race problems through stereotype or directed behaviour (like crime rate proportion)... Perhaps SA and some of the Sthrn States of USA may be the only ones who have the race related serving class?
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    13 Mar '07 22:20
    Perhaps SA and some of the Sthrn States of USA may be the only ones who have the race related serving class?
    I'm not sure I understand you...

Black people here are mostly poor and uneducated, so they have the crap jobs - including gardening, housekeeping, janitorial, cleaning etc.

This poverty and poor education is definately the product of apartheid, but they don't have to do these jobs - they are free to die of hunger if they so please. It's not because black people are considered a serving class, this is mostly the only work most of the older generation (unskilled labour) can perform, because of the above stated reasons.
  7. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 05:29
    I'm not sure I understand you...

Black people here are mostly poor and uneducated, so they have the crap jobs - including gardening, housekeeping, janitorial, cleaning etc.

This poverty and poor education is definately the product of apartheid, but they don't have to do these jobs - they are free to die of hunger if they so please. It's not because bla ...[text shortened]... of the older generation (unskilled labour) can perform, because of the above stated reasons.
    Here whites do those jobs for more than I get working as a shop manager..
    They do the crap jobs because they are the only ones who will work for crap wages. The folks I've met from SA definitely exude an air of superiority over non whites..

I'd be interested if anyone else has noticed it,

Meanwhile back toward sport.. we have had some awfully racist complaints from Maori and Island players touring SA.. far worse than Europe and that is a fact. The white guys get their bags picked up..the maoris have to ask and complain,... The waiter never look in the eye of the maoris and Hotels have even tried to usher the maoris to one one side.. These have all been through the papers and press regularly, not just NZ colours but from others too.. Things are a lot better but the remnants of the old regime lingers on ..
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 19:09

Meanwhile back toward sport.. we have had some awfully racist complaints from Maori and Island players touring SA.. far worse than Europe and that is a fact. The white guys get their bags picked up..the maoris have to ask and complain,... The waiter never look in the eye of the maoris and Hotels have even tried to usher the maoris to one one side.. Thes ...[text shortened]... s but from others too.. Things are a lot better but the remnants of the old regime lingers on ..
    Sure, there may be remnants with the old regime attitudes walking around - Hell, I know some of them, but usher, bell-hop and waiter jobs are mostly filled by black people (again, they fill mostly the unskilled positions), so it couldn't have been racially (colour-wise) motivated.
  9. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 05:35
    Sure, there may be remnants with the old regime attitudes walking around - Hell, I know some of them, but usher, bell-hop and waiter jobs are mostly filled by black people (again, they fill mostly the unskilled positions), so it couldn't have been racially (colour-wise) motivated.
    I think the behaviour is racial because they don't get treated the same and haven't been allowed to serve non-whites. My Maori friend and her white husband went and he got so fed up with it he actually went to the conceirge at hotels and told them to make sure his wife was properly looked after.. they were really surly about taking her bags and opening doors etc for a dark woman.

To be fair he had exactly the same thing in the southern states.. it was so bad there that they stood in here way and insinuated that she was in the wrong place.. going into the lobby.. and again in South America.. but south am problems were more sexist.. guys don't get womens bags, pich a'ss es and proposition there very overtly and crudely... she hated it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree