1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 12:511 edit
    "2013 NFL Draft" (Final Pick #254, Mr. Irrelevant: Justice Cunningham)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9219100/2013-nfl-draft-indianapolis-colts-choose-justice-cunningham-final-pick-draft
  2. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 23:05
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Correct on both counts. He went to the Jets in the second round!!
    Yep, good call. Was watching the NFL network when it happened and did a full LOL after Mayock and Billick both said picking Smith would be a huge mistake, admission of failure, etc. Quality stuff. 🙂 Can't say I disagree with them. How Rexy has his job still I have no idea.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 22:27
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Yep, good call. Was watching the NFL network when it happened and did a full LOL after Mayock and Billick both said picking Smith would be a huge mistake, admission of failure, etc. Quality stuff. 🙂 Can't say I disagree with them. How Rexy has his job still I have no idea.
    I think that's silly. Of course Sanchez was a mistake. Everyone knows that. Why shouldn't the Jets admit it. Would failing to admit it make it less of a mistake.

That the Jets are willing to admit that Sanchez was a mistake and act according is to their credit. Whether Smith works out is of course a different matter.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 23:11
    Originally posted by sh76
    I think that's silly. Of course Sanchez was a mistake. Everyone knows that. Why shouldn't the Jets admit it. Would failing to admit it make it less of a mistake.

That the Jets are willing to admit that Sanchez was a mistake and act according is to their credit. Whether Smith works out is of course a different matter.
    The one I feel bad for is Geno Smith going to such a shoddy organization.

Well... I guess I should say almost feel bad for - considering the multimillion dollar contract he's about to get.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 May '13 01:31
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    The one I feel bad for is Geno Smith going to such a shoddy organization.

Well... I guess I should say almost feel bad for - considering the multimillion dollar contract he's about to get.
    Please. That "shoddy organization" is 2 years removed from back to back trips to the AFC title game. The Jets got burned by Sanchez. If Sanchez had panned out into a great NFL QB, the Jets could be perennial Super Bowl contenders right now. They certainly built one of the best defenses in the league for a few years.

If the Jets are shoddy, then so are at least 25 other teams. The Jets are perfectly capable of building a contender over the course of a few years even if they will stink in 2013.
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 May '13 02:39
    Please. That "shoddy organization" is 2 years removed from back to back trips to the AFC title game. The Jets got burned by Sanchez. If Sanchez had panned out into a great NFL QB, the Jets could be perennial Super Bowl contenders right now. They certainly built one of the best defenses in the league for a few years.

If the Jets are shoddy, then so are at lea ...[text shortened]... apable of building a contender over the course of a few years even if they will stink in 2013.
    Burned by Sanchez? The Jets are the ones who traded away 2nd round pick plus 3 players to fetch him and then failed to develop him. Under a better, more quarterback friendly organization the (then) highly sought after Mark Sanchez might have turned out quite differently.

Is it mere coincidence; for example, that both Joe Montana and Steve Young ended up being both being Hall of Fame quarterbacks? Do you know how bad Steve Young sucked when he was with the Bucs?

Notice how all of the sudden Alex Smith started looking respectable with a new GM and coaching staff? He went from bust and everyone wanting his head - to getting what almost amounts to a 1st round pick for him, plus a 2/3rd round pick in 2014.

If I'm Geno Smith the New York Jets are the last place I want to go.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 May '13 11:50
    Excellent points. I think your 49'ers just got frighteningly better and get an A+ for their draft acumen while my Cowboys get a resounding F- for theirs! Many QB's are busts because of systems played in, but Sanchez will be a bust anywhere he goes. Geno Smith landed in a bad team so he will be of no consequence this year or next, but was drafted in right spot. Cowboys should have taken him of Barkley, a steal in 92nd spot!
  8. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    01 May '13 13:21
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Excellent points. I think your 49'ers just got frighteningly better and get an A+ for their draft acumen while my Cowboys get a resounding F- for theirs! Many QB's are busts because of systems played in, but Sanchez will be a bust anywhere he goes. Geno Smith landed in a bad team so he will be of no consequence this year or next, but was drafted in right spot. Cowboys should have taken him of Barkley, a steal in 92nd spot!
    Not surprising that when you grade something it's either A+ or F-.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 May '13 13:401 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Burned by Sanchez? The Jets are the ones who traded away 2nd round pick plus 3 players to fetch him and then failed to develop him. Under a better, more quarterback friendly organization the (then) highly sought after Mark Sanchez might have turned out quite differently.

Is it mere coincidence; for example, that both Joe Montana and Steve Young ...[text shortened]... 3rd round pick in 2014.

If I'm Geno Smith the New York Jets are the last place I want to go.
    Of course when I say "burned" I don't mean that it's not the Jets fault that the picked Sanchez. They made a bad pick and for that they're at fault. My point was that this single mistake is largely responsible for the Jets being where they are.

I've basically watched every Jets game that Mark Sanchez has played and it is my judgment that Sanchez was never at his best more than a slightly below average QB. I really don't think it's a matter of development. It's a matter of talent. Now sure the Jets mismanagement of him might be the reason he's the worst QB in the league right now instead of slightly below average, but he was never at any point an above average QB. Just because he was drafted #5 overall doesn't mean he's good. Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer and Jamarcus Russell were all picked ahead of Sanchez. A QB is never a sure thing. To say that they drafted him high so they should have developed him misses the point. He may just not have the talent to be a good NFL QB.

In 2009, the Jets has the #1 defense statistically and the most rushing yards in the NFL. In 2010, again they had an excellent defense (though not #1 in the league). In both years, they went to the AFCCG in spite of Sanchez' mediocre play. In 2010, they had one of the best secondaries in league history, a decent front 7, good wideouts in Holmes, Edwards and Cotchery, a good TE in Keller, etc. They finished 11-5 and lost to Pitt in the AFC title game. If they'd had a good QB instead of a lousy one, maybe they'd have been 14-2 and a super bowl title.

Even last year, with all their poor personnel decisions and with injuries to Revis and Holmes, they'd probably have made the playoffs with good QB play.

Now they have to start over and they'll probably really stink this year. Fine. It happens. They had to get under the cap to rebuild. I like what they're doing right now. They're drafting for defense and o-line and trying to develop a QB and they'll fill in the skill positions later when they're ready to become good. I can handle a bad season or two.

People love to laugh at the Jets because of the Tebow thing and because Rex Ryan has a big mouth, but they're still over .500 in the Ryan era and have won 4 playoff games. Of the 31 NFL teams, what percentage of the teams have been more successful than that? Maybe 35%?

The Jets are not a shoddy organization. They made a shoddy decision on Sanchez which set them back years. But they can recover.
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 May '13 14:34
    Of course when I say "burned" I don't mean that it's not the Jets fault that the picked Sanchez. They made a bad pick and for that they're at fault. My point was that this single mistake is largely responsible for the Jets being where they are.

I've basically watched every Jets game that Mark Sanchez has played and it is my judgment that Sanchez was never at ...[text shortened]... hoddy decision on Sanchez which set them back years. But they can recover.
    The NY Jets have had ONE great QB in their history, that being Joe Willie Namath.
    They had Brett Farve for a cup of coffee at the end of his career, but they
    had nothing to do with grooming him.
    The next best QB is a veritable who's who with the likes of Richard Todd,
    Ken O'Brien, Vinny Testaverde, Boomer Esaiason and Chad Pennington.
    Not much to boast about.

The Houston Oilers, who are not known for greatness in the QB area had
    more HOF QB's than did the Jets. George Blanda and Warren Moon were
    long timers, Kenny Stabler had a cup of coffee (longer than Farve did in NY).
    Our next best QB was Dan Pastorini and he was better than the rest of
    the NY QB's.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 May '13 16:20
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    The NY Jets have had ONE great QB in their history, that being Joe Willie Namath.
    They had Brett Farve for a cup of coffee at the end of his career, but they
    had nothing to do with grooming him.
    The next best QB is a veritable who's who with the likes of Richard Todd,
    Ken O'Brien, Vinny Testaverde, Boomer Esaiason and Chad Pennington.
    Not much to ...[text shortened]... n NY).
    Our next best QB was Dan Pastorini and he was better than the rest of
    the NY QB's.
    I don't know what that has to do with my post, but whatever.

In any case, any of those guys would have been fine. If the Jets had Kenny O'Brien or Vinny Testaverde or even Chad Pennington at their peak in 2009 and 2010, I think that would have been good enough to have had an excellent shot at a championship.
  12. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 May '13 22:14

I've basically watched every Jets game that Mark Sanchez has played and it is my judgment that Sanchez was never at ...[text shortened]... hoddy decision on Sanchez which set them back years. But they can recover.
    None of those guys were in the same draft class (that you said were picked ahead of Sanchez).

I admit it's difficult to tell if a QB problem is solely a QB problem, or if it's a coaching problem, a problem with the supporting cast or a combination. But honestly the Jets haven't shown even the slightest bit of aptitude for developing quarterbacks. When was the last really good one they had? Hell, signing Tebow in free agency just amplifies their perceived confusion when it comes to the position. What was he even there for?

I agree that the Jets having a respectable defense, but if I'm top college QB in the draft, the Jets would be one of the top 3 teams I would want to avoid.
  13. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    04 May '13 18:24

Well..it could be worse. They could be the Seahawks!🙂
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 May '13 19:01
    I don't know what that has to do with my post, but whatever.

In any case, any of those guys would have been fine. If the Jets had Kenny O'Brien or Vinny Testaverde or even Chad Pennington at their peak in 2009 and 2010, I think that would have been good enough to have had an excellent shot at a championship.
    It meant the Jets have never been a franchise that was big on generating top
    caliber QB's.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 May '13 19:16
    Originally posted by bill718
    Well..it could be worse. They could be the Seahawks!🙂
    Im going to keep this post in my clip board for the end of the SB.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree