1. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    09 May '07 22:52
    Originally posted by Red Night
    blah...blah...blah...

wake me up when you make a point....on second thought, I don't want to sleep that long.

There are two team sports that are played competitively and professionally all over the world...basketball and soccer. Actually, basketball isn't really played in England which is why you didn't know that.

There are two team sports tha ...[text shortened]... one team sport this is played primarily on an amateur level all over the world...volleyball.
    you just don't get it!

So desperate to try and push soccer of its spot.

You simply cannot compare Basketball and Soccer. Basketball is so far behind soccer it is a joke. Not just England treats basketball as a freak show. Sure eastern europe and a few other hotspots were it can rival soccer, but you are really quite strange to have this compulsion that makes you hate reality.

I think that you rate baseball and ice hockey way to high also, but that is yet another product of your bias. Strange that you forgot to mention that baseball was way less athletic and far more boring than ice hockey.
  2. LA
    Moves
    10 May '07 04:031 edit
    blah...blah...blah...

wake me up when you make a point....on second thought, I don't want to sleep that long.

There are two team sports that are played competitively and professionally all over the world...basketball and soccer. Actually, basketball isn't really played in England which is why you didn't know that.

There are two team sports tha ...[text shortened]... one team sport this is played primarily on an amateur level all over the world...volleyball.
    Basketball is nothing outside the USA.
    Its a big time minor sport in every country except America.

The only reason Basketball has a small amount of interest outside of America (both to play or watch) is that its the only American game where the action can last longer than 3 second bursts of interest.

I mean American football has 55 minutes of adverts and 5 minutes of play in 1 hour.

Soccer (or Football as it should be called) is the only sport that was world wide major interest and its going to stay that way.
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    10 May '07 18:40
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Basketball is nothing outside the USA.
    Its a big time minor sport in every country except America.

The only reason Basketball has a small amount of interest outside of America (both to play or watch) is that its the only American game where the action can last longer than 3 second bursts of interest.

I mean American football has 55 minutes ...[text shortened]... be called) is the only sport that was world wide major interest and its going to stay that way.
    You are both delusional...but most of that knew that already.

Basketball is far more popular world wide than you are giving it credit for.

But, what the heck, you're from England. You just don't know any better.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 May '07 22:031 edit
    Maybe if we get rid of the Scotish element of the team United would naturally improve.
    I mean, whats a Scotish player doing in the Champions League, it just sounds wrong.

The only way a Scot should take part in football south of Glasgow is as a Referee.
    ROABAAR:

You support Manchester United and say that? Your manager is the most successful British manager, with the possible execeptions of Shankley and Paisley, in history and he is a Scot. He won a European Trophey with Aberdeen for Christ's sake, what more do you want.

In general:

There's two surreal aspects to this thread. One is that it is still current, the other is the unneccessarily defensive attitude English people are taking. RedNight is leading you on, as a Scot he has no particular axe to grind, but absolutely loves it if you start to get proud and will therefore start an anti-English thread to wind up those of you (English) who'll rise to the bait.

In general this nonsense is an extension of the British media's advertising of English sport, funnily enough we don't have anything more than average talent in this country, and so you wouldn't actually expect England to even have won the World Cup once. That should be regarded as an achievement, not as something to punish the current England team with. When England get to the last 8 in the World cup that is what you'd expect, any further is a bonus. In the European Championships the last 4 is really what you'd hope for, more should be regarded as an achievement, not a failure. I think you have to be Italy, France, Germany, Argentina, or Brazil to really talk about winning it.

The strange irony is that the sport the English really excelled at was shooting - until Blair got some easy popularity from making it illegal.

EDIT: Got confused between this and the "the English don't get it thread" hence the stuff about RedNight winding the English up...
  5. where angels play
    Moves
    10 May '07 22:12
    Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, Jamie Carragher, John Terry, Paul Scholes, Micheal Owen etc etc i could go on, not what i would call average talent, id call all of them world class talent. Truth is they all care more about club than country and we have micky mouse managers to boot.
  6. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    11 May '07 02:01
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, Jamie Carragher, John Terry, Paul Scholes, Micheal Owen etc etc i could go on, not what i would call average talent, id call all of them world class talent. Truth is they all care more about club than country and we have micky mouse managers to boot.
    Rooney is a loser...flat out.

I know a bunch of you love him, but the guy is a talented loser, always will be.
  7. LA
    Moves
    11 May '07 04:051 edit
    Rooney is a loser...flat out.

I know a bunch of you love him, but the guy is a talented loser, always will be.
    Rooney has just got won a Premiership Winners medal.
    Last season he won a league cup winners medal.
    Next week he's playing in the FA Cup final.
    Not bad for a 21 year old.

As for me knowing nothing about basketball, I've been to loads of lakers and clippers games at the staples center in the last 2 years, so I know what I'm talking about (I actually live in LA).

The only exciting part of a basketball game is the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter, the rest of the game is completely boring.
    And the real reason I go to a basketball game is for the free food and drinks in the box we have and the cheerleader displays.

All other American 'sports' games SUCK BIG TIME.
  8. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 May '07 08:09

As for me knowing nothing about basketball, I've been to loads of lakers and clippers games at the staples center in the last 2 years, so I know what I'm talking about (I a ...[text shortened]... x we have and the cheerleader displays.

I know about basket ball. I watched the Harlem globetrotter cartoons.

Its a bit sad that anyone can actually believe that a freak show like that can be compared in the same terms as football.

Hilarious that a Redneck continually talks up US sports as if the whole world plays them. Then accuses us of being parochial for loving the true world sport. Is their anywhere in the whole Continent of Africa where basketball is more popular than football? In fact in only a handfull of countries in the whole world, basketball is nothing more than a minor sport compared to football.

What were the viewing figures for the last basketball world cup? Does it even make the news in most countries?

I searched for world cup viewing, nothing came up for basketball, so i added basketball to the search, still nothing. Looks like google is parochial as well.

Football world cup:

284 million people watched the final

5.9 billion total viewers for the whole tournament

10% more total viewers than 2002

Average of 93 million viewers per match

41% of viewers were female

Of course Redneck will be able to prove his claims with similar viewing figures for the joint top sport basketball???
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    14 May '07 21:18

As for me knowing nothing about basketball, I've been to loads of lakers and clippers games at the staples center in the last 2 years, so I know what I'm talking about (I a ...[text shortened]... x we have and the cheerleader displays.

Many basketball fans would tell you that if all you're watching is the pro game (in La-La land no less) that you are not watching the game at all.

Rooney is a loser...kicking another player while he's down because you're losing is one of the surest signs.

Kobe is also a loser...how many MVP awards does he have?
  10. LA
    Moves
    15 May '07 05:14
    Many basketball fans would tell you that if all you're watching is the pro game (in La-La land no less) that you are not watching the game at all.

Rooney is a loser...kicking another player while he's down because you're losing is one of the surest signs.

Kobe is a loser, basketball is a team sport and he just loves himself.
    He has great talent but I'd have Nash, Iverson or even an old Shaq over him every time.

All American pro-games (not just Basketball) are artificial TV manufactured 'events' so I agree with you for once.

Rooney doesn't like to lose, he overreacts at times but thats because winners don't like to lose. He didn't kick the guy in the game your talking about, he sort of just stamped a little bit to let him know its a mans game and he got caught doing it.

Premier League winner 2007 Rooney doesn't take anything from anyone, he was once a boxer, if he has a problem with someone he uses his right hand and knocks them out cold, do some more research, players know not to mess with this guy.
  11. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    15 May '07 09:39
    [b]

Premier League winner 2007 Rooney /b]
    You would be correct with these two prefix's:

Granny shagger Rooney 2003..
    or
    Ugliest footballer Rooney 2006...

Premier League Winners 2007 are Man Utd. Rooney is just asmall cog in a team effort.
  12. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    15 May '07 10:09

Love the way that you moan about football yet feel so qualified that you can comment on with certainity on ALL the chants or the players.

Looks like your one of those sad geeks who never gets invited to the party so moans about how bad the party is. Spends all the time looking in the window because he has nothing better to do.

I notice you have managed to avoid any comparisons to the 5.9 BILLION that watched the world Cup. How many watched the Basketball world cup?

I note that the final was played between two teams where football is the no. 1 sport. How many times has a football world cup final been played by two countries were basketball is the same sport.

Do you still think that basketball is on the same level as football? I find it incredible that any human being can be so dumb.
  13. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    15 May '07 19:171 edit
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    Love the way that you moan about football yet feel so qualified that you can comment on with certainity on ALL the chants or the players.

Looks like your one of those sad geeks who never gets invited to the party so moans about how bad the party is. Spends all the time looking in the window because he has nothing better to do.

I notice you have ...[text shortened]... ball is on the same level as football? I find it incredible that any human being can be so dumb.
    I don't moan about football (soccer). I love the game and would bet that I played in more competitive matches than you. I laugh at you english thinking that your team is somewhere in the same area code as the great teams like brazil, germany, italy, france, argentina, uruguay, the netherlands, paraguay, etc.

I also laugh at cricket and those who would attempt to compare it to baseball. It is obviously a boring little tea-party for sissy boys. It doesn't even qualify as a sport.

In the words of the greatest cricketeer ever to stand around daintily sipping tea in a pair of starched white knickers..."Cricket could learn a lot from baseball. Baseball has more snap and dash than cricket."

Next time you take your head out of your rectum look around and see how many countries play basketball. You are kidding yourself if you think it is not a world sport.
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    15 May '07 20:01

He didn't kick the guy in the game your talking about, he sort of just stamped a little bit
    kicking someone when they are down and stamping someone when they are down seems to me a distinction without a difference.
  15. LA
    Moves
    16 May '07 05:31

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree