1. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 18:47
    When was the last time a footballer with no managerial experience took on a struggling club in the top league and turned things round for more than a season?

Prediction: good results followed by mediocre finish to season, followed by woeful start to next season, followed by sacking by Christmas. Do these chairmen never learn? Get an experienced foreigner in! Though Harry Rednob would be a good choice IMO.
  2. 6yd box
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 19:26
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    When was the last time a footballer with no managerial experience took on a struggling club in the top league and turned things round for more than a season?

Prediction: good results followed by mediocre finish to season, followed by woeful start to next season, followed by sacking by Christmas. Do these chairmen never learn? Get an experienced foreigner in! Though Harry Rednob would be a good choice IMO.
    ...while on the subject... please..please..please ..can you get rid of this myth that NEWCASTLE ARE A BIG CLUB ...bullsheeeeeeeet!
  3. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 20:05
    It's the same whenever we (Wolves) change our manager. Steve Bull is linked with the job but nobody honestly expects him to get it.

I have always wondered why ex-legends link themselves with the job but do nothing to qualify themselves for it (Surely if Shearer and Bull want jobs, they should get involved with coaching, not just sit in the Match of The Day studio or play golf all day) They cannot just wait around and then demand a particular job when it appears.

Newcastle, like clubs in general, must realise that success can't be built in 5 months. Newcastle have a bucket load of mediocre players on big money and it will take a long time to improve things.
  4. Subscriberscoop122
    scoop122
    Southport
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 20:55
    eight months and twenty four games !
    that place is a madhouse
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 21:44
    Originally posted by spurs73
    ...while on the subject... please..please..please ..can you get rid of this myth that NEWCASTLE ARE A BIG CLUB ...bullsheeeeeeeet!
    Depends how you define a club. They've got big average attendance and spend quite big.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 21:46
    Originally posted by scoop122
    eight months and twenty four games !
    that place is a madhouse
    I noticed though that Sam looked more and more depressed in recent interviews. Maybe the board just looked at him and thought, 'how on earth is that miserable and defeated bloke going to turn our club around when he looks so down?'.
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 21:51
    Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
    It's the same whenever we (Wolves) change our manager. Steve Bull is linked with the job but nobody honestly expects him to get it.

I have always wondered why ex-legends link themselves with the job but do nothing to qualify themselves for it (Surely if Shearer and Bull want jobs, they should get involved with coaching, not just sit in the Match o ...[text shortened]... a bucket load of mediocre players on big money and it will take a long time to improve things.
    I agree - Paul Ince has got the right idea by starting at the bottom. Tony Adams was wise to do so too, as maybe people don't remember now what a total shambles he was at Wycombe.
  8. 6yd box
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 23:11
    Depends how you define a club. They've got big average attendance and spend quite big.
    well i would say what the clubs history is, is a major indicator. newcastle have not won anything for 50 years.. thats two genarations ago for goodness sakes!
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 02:15

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. 6yd box
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 18:10
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    hehehehe.. will we do have a better history then newcastle in english football.

also we have won something in the last 10 years....😉
  11. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 18:26
    LMAO - 5-live just interviewed a bunch of Toon fans -their choices for manager gave 3 candidates.

Mourinho
    Lippi
    Klinsman

D'they really reckon on landing one of them?

The ultimate humiliation for them this season is that they'll get the lowest return against Derby vs the rest of the premiership. 1 point from 6 available.

An earlier interview with a mate of Mike Ashley suggests he's already lined up a replacement, but not announced already as he's away in Hong Kong on business.
  12. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 18:28

My money is on Martin Jol.

5 th Place is what Newcastle aspire to. Jol has two of those.
    One of the directors was at Totenham before.
    He wouldn't cost anything as he is unemployed.
  13. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 18:33
    Originally posted by invigorate
    My money is on Martin Jol.

5 th Place is what Newcastle aspire to. Jol has two of those.
    One of the directors was at Totenham before.
    He wouldn't cost anything as he is unemployed.
    Good call.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 19:09
    Mourinho!!! 😵
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 19:17

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree