1. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 20:49
    They've given Big Sam no time at all to make any sort of impact at St James'...
    Any manager in any profession needs 12 months to stamp their mark. (Mind you having said that, I'd get rid of Robson from the Lane tomorrow - so maybe I'm being slightly hipocritical here!)
    There's no stability at Newcastle, everyone from the Chairman to the laundry lady must be working with one eye over their shoulder. You're never going to get people to perform until they feel there's a little security about what they're doing.

I think Sam's a decent manager, he did excellently at an unfashionable club like Bolton... but he was given time to do that.

Robson to Newcastle.
    Allardyce to The Blades!
  2. LA
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 11:37
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    When was the last time a footballer with no managerial experience took on a struggling club in the top league and turned things round for more than a season?

Prediction: good results followed by mediocre finish to season, followed by woeful start to next season, followed by sacking by Christmas. Do these chairmen never learn? Get an experienced foreigner in! Though Harry Rednob would be a good choice IMO.
    You are right I mean the most obvious example is:-
    Kenny Dalglish and Graham Souness taking over Liverpool.

Managers with no experience taking over a struggling club.

18 years and counting.................
  3. 6yd box
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 19:04
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    You are right I mean the most obvious example is:-
    Kenny Dalglish and Graham Souness taking over Liverpool.

Managers with no experience taking over a struggling club.

18 years and counting.................
    LOOOOOOOL.. thats below the belt!
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 17:09
    Is Ged the man?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7189443.stm

Though the following quote,

'Reports have also suggested Houllier could potentially bring in Shearer as his number two in an attempt to groom the former England star for the job long-term.'

is possibly the worst idea ever. Shearer is too much of a hero and when things start going wrong (again), the fans will be even quicker to want to offload Ged and get their (inexperienced) man in charge.

What is it with this 'grooming' idea anyway? Did it work for McClaren under Sven? Did it work with Brian Kidd under Fergie? Of course not - stupid idea.
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 18:05
    What is it with this 'grooming' idea anyway? Did it work for McClaren under Sven? Did it work with Brian Kidd under Fergie? Of course not - stupid idea.
    That wasn't why they failed though.

I agree that that particular combination would probably be a disaster. But if Shearer really does want to be Newcastle manager some day, he really ought to get out of the TV studio and get some experience.
  6. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 00:09
    McClaren may not have cut it as England boss, but he was groomed by Fergie (after Jim Smith at Derby) and made a good job of the M'boro manager position once he took that up (keep in mind they're not a top half prem club really).
  7. Berks.
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 17:05
    They've gone for Keegan again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7192457.stm
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 17:20
    Originally posted by Peakite
    They've gone for Keegan again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7192457.stm
    I don't believe this. Yes he's got a good record with Newcastle, but he's been rubbish everywhere else hasn't he? He's even admitted his reason for giving up the England job was that he was tactically naive. I don't think he can credibly claim to have sorted out this naivety given he's done not much in the game since. Managers who spend too long either out of the game or moving from mediocre post to post become rubbish managers - Ron Atkinson, El Tel, Hoddle, etc. Can anyone see anything other than Keegan and Newcastle parting 'With Mutual Consent' come Christmas?
  9. 6yd box
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 17:56
    I don't believe this. Yes he's got a good record with Newcastle, but he's been rubbish everywhere else hasn't he? He's even admitted his reason for giving up the England job was that he was tactically naive. I don't think he can credibly claim to have sorted out this naivety given he's done not much in the game since. Managers who spend too long either o ...[text shortened]... anything other than Keegan and Newcastle parting 'With Mutual Consent' come Christmas?
    you have to look at the newcastle owner, Mike Ashley! πŸ™„
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 18:01
    It'll end in tears. Again.

D
  11. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 18:06
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    It'll end in tears. Again.
    Should be fun to watch, though πŸ™‚
  12. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 18:41
    Just when you thought football couldn't become any more stupid...
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 11:02
    Anybody see the interview on BBC last night where he said 3 months ago that he hadn't watched a live game of football since his last game in charge at City?

Oh dear.

D
  14. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 22:08
    KK will undoubtedly lift the gloom that surrounds St James' at the moment, but all I can hear is the news bulletin this summer:
    "Kevin Keegan and Newcastle United have parted company by mutual consent"...

They should poach Robson from us... he's a Geordie, they'll love him up there!
  15. 6yd box
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 22:13
    Originally posted by blade68
    KK will undoubtedly lift the gloom that surrounds St James' at the moment, but all I can hear is the news bulletin this summer:
    "Kevin Keegan and Newcastle United have parted company by mutual consent"...

They should poach Robson from us... he's a Geordie, they'll love him up there!
    Blade68... stop trying to off load your manager on to other, what have they done to you that you want to punish them?πŸ˜‰

Anyway now you are through to the 4th round of the FA cup, you will never git rid of robsonπŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree