17 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '08 21:46
  2. Joined
    17 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '08 21:52
    Originally posted by Spawnicle
    Sorry about that. Alan Shearer was the tiltle.

Waiting for someone from Afghanistan to move. Shocked at how quickly the former top striker's hair is wearing away. is the little island of hair above his forehead stopping him from shaving it off. Needs to look to his Wright for some guidance.

Anyway reasonable performance for a meaningless game.
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    06 Feb '08 21:57
    Sorry about that. Alan Shearer was the tiltle.

Waiting for someone from Afghanistan to move. Shocked at how quickly the former top striker's hair is wearing away. is the little island of hair above his forehead stopping him from shaving it off. Needs to look to his Wright for some guidance.

Anyway reasonable performance for a meaningless game.
    Reasonable Performance? Were you watching the Wales game, or are you talking about Switzerland?

Bearing in mind the opposition, England were awful, I don't think there's a manager on this planet who could get those overpaid tw-ts to do their job for the country.
  4. Joined
    17 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 04:15
    Originally posted by rhb
    Reasonable Performance? Were you watching the Wales game, or are you talking about Switzerland?

Bearing in mind the opposition, England were awful, I don't think there's a manager on this planet who could get those overpaid tw-ts to do their job for the country.
    Never take friendlys very seriously unless England play some of our less friendly nations: Germany, Portugal, Argentina.... and so on.
    These meaningless games will at least give the new manager time to learn some English swear words to holler from the dug out. Tw*ts is a good start.
  5. 6yd box
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 09:07
    Originally posted by rhb

I agree.. England need to win these games by 3 or 4 goals... i know there are no easy oppositions anymore, but RHB is right.what he said about england.

was very..very..very..disapointed all round (but Jenus of Spurs scored😏)
  6. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 09:50
    I was in two minds whether to watch it or not... as friendlies are generally dire to watch... however, curiosity got the better of me (and I Sky+'d Gordon Ramsey!)

Poor game, but plus points were James, Bentley, and Jenas...

Upson at best is a 'fall-back' centre half, Ferdinand should never pull on an England shirt, and Ashley Cole is one dimensional (I can't believe they were talking about him as a future England captain?) The Titanic turned quicker than he does when he's trying to get it on to his left foot.

Bah humbug!
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 10:02
    Originally posted by spurs73
    I agree.. England need to win these games by 3 or 4 goals...
    Which just about sums up one of the problems with England. Unreasonable expectations. In the last couple of years Switzerland have drawn with Italy and France. Nobody else beats them by 3 or 4 goals very often, why should we?

I thought the performance was OK, especially in the second half. It's a friendly, it's the first match under a new manager. Expecting more is unreasonable.

Most depressing part of last night was listening to the crowd booing England in the first half as they passed the ball around looking for an opening. Keeping possession - something England are usually hopeless at. Presumably everyone would have been happier to see it pointlessly lumped into the box.
  8. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 10:36
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Presumably everyone would have been happier to see it pointlessly lumped into the box.[/b]
    Last Saturday White Hart Lane - 85 minutes on the clock....

Spotted: Man Utd defenders 'lumping the ball in to the box'...

There's a time and a place for 'lumping'... nowt wrong wi a bit o' lumping now and again!

😉
  9. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 11:15
    Originally posted by blade68
    There's a time and a place for 'lumping'... nowt wrong wi a bit o' lumping now and again!
    Oh, I know. I'd just prefer an England team that doesn't have to do it all the time. There's also a time and a place for being patient.
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 11:27
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Oh, I know. I'd just prefer an England team that doesn't have to do it all the time. There's also a time and a place for being patient.
    Personally, I believe the England team should play as they do in The Premiership... fast paced, up-and-at-'em style.

Our players aren't used to knocking the ball across the back four for 20 minutes... remember that the best form of defence is attack.

Leave the boring 'possession' football to the Italians... England have never been more threatening when we play with 2 quick wingers and a big centre-forward - it may be old-school, but football is a simple game, and if something's not broken, why try to fix it?

Whilst I'm having a bit of a rant... can anyone explain to me why we have to defend corners with 11 players? If we leave 2 players on the halfway line, the opposition has to leave 3, if we leave 3 up - they have to leave 4 back... result: less crowded penalty area making it easier for the keeper to come and claim the cross... it's a no-brainer surely?
  11. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 17:06
    Originally posted by blade68
    Personally, I believe the England team should play as they do in The Premiership... fast paced, up-and-at-'em style.

Our players aren't used to knocking the ball across the back four for 20 minutes... remember that the best form of defence is attack.

Leave the boring 'possession' football to the Italians... England have never been more threatening when ...[text shortened]... ld-school, but football is a simple game, and if something's not broken, why try to fix it?
    The better teams in the Premiership also know how to retain possession. I don't want us to play the Italian style (we won't be as good at it as them, let's face it), but I do want to see a bit more intelligence.

Because, quite frankly, it has been broken.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 17:081 edit
    Originally posted by rhb
    Scolari, would. Really. Honest. Scolari. Yep.

OH GOD PLEASE TAKE HIM AWAY!!!!!
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 19:38
    ssssssssssssss
    It sounds like steam escaping.....
  14. 6yd box
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 19:40
    guys listen just one question.. ARE ENGLAND GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN A TROPHY?

I agree with Blade, play the system we are used to, which is 4-4-2.

2 central midfield, 2 wide men, and two up front. that is the simplist and best style of playing. We got the players, Joe cole on the left and SWP or Lennon on the right. Put rooney up front with say Couch or heskey.

I prefer bridge to ashley cole to be honest. Robert green should have played in goal. Rio is sheeeeet..SORRY!

We got no real game of importance for ages now, Richards of city, and young of villa should now be given giames. to build them up for the main matches
  15. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 19:46
    Originally posted by spurs73
    guys listen just one question.. ARE ENGLAND GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN A TROPHY?

Richards of city, and young of villa should now be given giames. to build them up for the main matches
    ARE ENGLAND GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN A TROPHY?

If Greece can do it..?
    Seriously, on our day, yes I believe we can.

I'm not a fan of Micah Richards - he looks good going forward, but lacks even schoolboy positional sense at the back.
    Ashley Young is a really exciting prospect though - and 2 footed!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree